“Great Weekend”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Spent the weekend with 3 other friends in Portsmouth.
All of us are ex-colleagues who worked together about 4 years ago and meet up every year for a weekend.
Hotel was great, very welcoming, staff were excellent, and nothing was too much trouble.
We had two twin rooms, which to be honest were a bit on the snug side, but we only spent about 7 hrs sleeping in them anyway.
This hotel is only about 10 minutes walk from Gunwharf, this was where we spent out evenings eating, drinking and enjoying the atmosphere.
The leisure facilities at the hotel are good, and a early morning swim for some of our party was just the ticket.
Breakfast was good and reasonably priced.
I will return, maybe next time with my wife, as she would love the retail therapy at Gunwharf Quay.

Room Tip: Drinks are quite expensive in the hotel, and are not much better at Gunwharf, but some of the bars d...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and our leisure facilities. We are lucky to have Gunwharf and the Historic Dockyard nearby for our guests to enjoy. I'm also glad our staff were helpful. I do hope you will return with your wife very soon.
Kind regards, Cormac, General Manager

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Booked this hotel as it was reasonable (not cheap) and near where we wanted to be. The room was very small and basic and the bathroom was dirty. The taps hadn't been cleaned properly and the towels were grey.
The room was dusty and warm. During the first night of our stay we tried to put the air con on as it was so warm. It didn't work. We opened the window to get some air in but we were overlooking the front entrance so that became very noisy with vans/taxis etc.
We mentioned this to the front of house staff the next morning and were told that there were no maintenance people around on a Saturday so they gave us a fan. We went out for the evening and when we came back we realised the radiator was on. We tried to turn it off but could't. The chap from reception came up and tried but said they were all 'stuck' on. In a room as small as that it's ridiculous to have the heating on. Another sleepless night even with the fan.
The pillows are quite frankly not up to the job - I asked for more and got them but they were uncomfortable.
I have to say the front of house staff were polite and helpful.
I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it. It's not cheap and certainly not cheerful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Biggsy510

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to express your views. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have asked my maintenance team to check the radiators in all rooms as it should be possible to turn them off if the room is too warm. I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused you. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future to ensure you have a more enjoyable stay.
Kind regards, Cormac, General Manager

Reviewed 17 February 2014

had a massive family foom double bed and 2 singles nice bathroom and spotlessly clean had dinner in lounge downstairs food good value and very tastey had breakfast which was very good and buffet style the hotel is in a good central possition and we had a great weekend away children also made use of the swimming pool

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you so much for this great review, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your weekend in Portsmouth and every aspect of your stay at this hotel. We very much value the opinions of our guests and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards, Cormac

Reviewed 13 February 2014

First time I have stayed anywhere in Portsmouth so was unsure about where to stay. Having stayed at other Holiday Inn hotels around the country thought it would be a good place to start. I arrived very late but that was no issue. I was made to feel welcome and when I asked for something it came very quickly. The room was a very good size and very comfortable. I had no issues with the cleanliness of the hotel. Breakfast was good but a downside to the breakfast was that the bacon looked to be very dry. I will have no issue staying here again but have taken note about other comments.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Portsmouth, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room clean and comfortable. I am sorry for the issue with the bacon, I will pass on your comments to my chefs.
I do hope you will stay with us again very soon and again thank you for your positive feedback.

Kind regards, Cormac

Reviewed 10 February 2014

most hotel staff were exceptionaly friendly and helpful, the room was clean, nice bar area, good facilities, swimming pool ect, great location close to local amenities, only problem we had was my friend tried to order a sandwich past midnight and was refused by night staff even though in brocher it states 24h service

• Stayed: February 2014
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

I am sorry we were not able to provide your friend with a sandwich after midnight, I will certainly investigate the reason for this. However I would like to thank you for your positive comments, I was pleased to note you enjoyed our hotel facilities including the swimming pool.

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Portsmouth soon.

Regards Cormac

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed just the one night. It is what it is .Ok so paid for the upgrade £15 pounds for room with a view (which was lovely) and 1 Kit Kat and 2 bottles of sparkling water, was charged for packet of peanuts,Mars Bar,which I thought a little harsh as thought things in fridge were all part of the upgrade. Room ok a little on the small side but adequate. Staff all friendly and polite. Breakfast good value. Would stay again. But Upgrade? Maybe not!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms level 6 offer good views if facing South.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ian r
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to let us have your feedback on your recent stay at this hotel. I am very sorry that it was not explained to you that the room upgrade does not include mini bar items. Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your room and breakfast, we hope you will come back to us soon. Regards, Cormac

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I believe in sharing honesty especially with feedback. I stayed at this hotel on the weekend of 18.01.2014 and I checked in quick since i had been booked out from Holiday inn express. I checked in a room which had human dung in the toliet. This was very much unacceptable but i managed to change rooms but still, i was not happy with the state of the room. It was smelling like smoke. The hotel is really nice becuase it has got a swimming pool, jaccuzi and a gym. Just a few you would find with such facility.
I would say go to this hotel if you do not expect much from their room standard. Its just basic or maybe itsb the room i was checked in.
I am happy with night staff at the bar,. It was 2 gentlement there and also room service was fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Cormac O, Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I was very sorry indeed to note the condition of your bathroom, as you say this was unacceptable. As the new GM at the Holiday Inn Portsmouth, I am committed to ensuring the necessary improvements are put in place throughout the hotel. I was however pleased to note you enjoyed our Leisure club facilities and hope you will return to us soon.

Kind regards, Cormac O'Keefe, General Manager