“Travel Lodge Standard”

Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
“Travel Lodge Standard”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The property is tired and should really not be a Holiday Inn at all. For a very medioaca room we were expected to pay £128 where you had to beg for toiletries - we just asked for another shower gel as we like to shower twice a day and we asked for a shower cap which was not in the room but were almost questioned as though it was our fault and the same with tissues which had not been refilled.

Cheap and nasty toilet paper

Very Helpful with printing on line Vouchers / Tickets. Breakfast was very good

It really was a budget hotel but at a silly price

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GX_Traveller01
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thankyou for taking the time to give your feedback. I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We do strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests and are concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.
We were pleased, however, to note that you enjoyed breakfast.

Kind regards, Cormac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
York
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I spent 3 nights here for work purposes. I found it to be a nice hotel, with an open plan and pleasant bar area just adjacent to reception and a large restaurant, no need to book. My room was perfectly adequate and clean. The bathroom was small and although I am only 5 feet tall, I couldn't straighten my legs in the bath. I do agree that the rooms are quite tired - heavily varnished teak bedside tables and wardrobes and heavy, dark curtains.
The staff were all lovely and breakfast was very nice with a buffet for everything including cooked. Tea and coffee were table service.
As a vegetarian, I was very disappointed with the evening meal - I didn't like the combination of pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, goats cheese and red onion and the quinoa salad was a pile of rocket, a few tomatoes and a bit of goats cheese, no dressing. It was very over-priced at £10 for a main!
Otherwise, not enough parking as commented upon by others and I ended up on the road -the car was fine but I did worry.
I'd stay again as it was easy, lovely staff, no real concerns and reasonably easy to sat-nav to!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to send a review on your stay to Trip Advisor. I am sorry that not everything was to your complete satisfaction. I can assure you that my team and I will continue to work very hard to ensure that should you return, you will find your stay more than average. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night, building very nice, staff very helpful. Room rate displayed us affortune (we didn't pay that as booked via late rooms)

We dined in the restaurant and bought a meal deal voucher from reception, 3 courses and 3 drinks for £30. The food was exquisite....! Five star!

Room was adequate, to be fair I just wanted a bed and bath for the night..

Tv you needed a degree to fathom the remote control.

Bathroom was a tad shabby, grouting all smeared over bath tiles, rusty water stains in the bath and shower curtain was dingey... But I just needed a bath and loo and room was ok for that.

Breakfast was buffet style and very nice.

On the whole enjoyable stay.. Glad I didn't pay the standard rate, but would use thus hotel again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mandy P
Many thanks for your feedback. I was pleased to note that your stay with us was satisfactory and that you enjoyed the food, your comments regarding this will be passed to our Chefs. Regarding your bathroom I am so sorry that not everything was perfect for you but this will be fed back to my Maintenance team who will ensure that the necessary improvements are made.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Fantastic location - great for an overnight before catching the ferry home to Jersey. Not luxurious but not expensive and a perfect centre for visiting the historic parts of Portsmouth on foot. Superb choice of restaurants nearby. Pleasant staff - receptionist a bit aloof. Breakfast simple but good. Couldn't give a 'very good' for cleanliness because common areas carpets very badly soiled (Why?) but room spotless and comfortable. No bath only shower but that was perfect for me. Everything you could need for a fair price.

Room Tip: Ask for a low number room if walking difficult - bit of a hike to the high number rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul B
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your very valuable feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay at this hotel but have taken on board your comments regarding other areas. I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Location was OK for a weekend visit to friends. Rooms are small and in need of redecoration.

Parking also a problem given that the hotel has a pool and fitness facilities and offers membership arrangements, so lots of people taking spaces that guests would normally use.

Not cheap and therefore will seek another hotel for my next trip.

1 Thank Chelsea605
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Your comment regarding the room condition has been documented and I am confident the necessary adjustments will be made so that all our rooms are to the correct standard which our guests have every right to expect.
Regarding parking, unfortunately we don't have a large car park but parking permits for free parking are available at our reception for resident guests, these can be used on the road at the front of the hotel, including the small car park opposite and also on Pembroke Road to the side of the hotel. These areas are very rarely full.
I do hope you will reconsider and give us another chance some time in the future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Just stayed at the Holiday Inn in Portsmouth with friends for the weekend. We booked two rooms and had them interconnecting which was absolutely perfect as we kept the door open all the time so it was like one huge room.
It was fairly easy to check in and we were upgraded to an executive room which was a bonus. The room was spotless and the bathroom had all the amenities which were needed. We had a fridge in the room which was great. A large flat screen tv on the wall.
Really happy and had a great weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to give us this fabulous review. I am so pleased to note your visit was ideal for you and that you enjoyed every aspect. I do hope you will come back to us very soon.
Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Spent the weekend with 3 other friends in Portsmouth.
All of us are ex-colleagues who worked together about 4 years ago and meet up every year for a weekend.
Hotel was great, very welcoming, staff were excellent, and nothing was too much trouble.
We had two twin rooms, which to be honest were a bit on the snug side, but we only spent about 7 hrs sleeping in them anyway.
This hotel is only about 10 minutes walk from Gunwharf, this was where we spent out evenings eating, drinking and enjoying the atmosphere.
The leisure facilities at the hotel are good, and a early morning swim for some of our party was just the ticket.
Breakfast was good and reasonably priced.
I will return, maybe next time with my wife, as she would love the retail therapy at Gunwharf Quay.

Room Tip: Drinks are quite expensive in the hotel, and are not much better at Gunwharf, but some of the bars d...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and our leisure facilities. We are lucky to have Gunwharf and the Historic Dockyard nearby for our guests to enjoy. I'm also glad our staff were helpful. I do hope you will return with your wife very soon.