“Visiting Historic Dockyard”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Location wasn't bad for visiting the Gunwarf Quay and the Historic Dockyard, about a 10-15 minute walk. The room was OK, a bit small by North American standards. We didn't eat at the hotel, just some drinks which I thought were a bit pricey compared to pubs nearby.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim N
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post this review. We are very lucky to be located in such a pleasant position and as you say, Gunwharf Quay and the Historic Dockyard are only a short walk away. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Yours sincerely
Cormac O'Keefe

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights at £109 per night.
I couldn't believe that I was expected to pay an extra £16.00 per night for the internet. I refused and was offered a chance to join the Holiday Inn Club, as long as I agreed to be kept up to date with their special offers.
Internet access was poor.
The common areas wee tatty, and particularly the stairwells, with chipped paint much in evidence.
I strayed onto the emergency exit stairwell and the floor was covered in paint marks and paint was literally peeling off the walls.
Lockers in the gym changing rooms were damaged and not safe to put your valuables in.
Evening mealtime was very strange. One member of staff was on duty for the entire restaurant as well as room service and taking orders for food from the lounge bar.
A simple meal took me 90 minutes, and I was cursing having decided to have a desert, which took 30 minutes off my life.
Breakfast seemed very ample, but the eggs were inedible and I had to beg the only waitress on duty to stop talking to other hotel staff and come and refill my coffee cup.
The second morning's breakfast was much more brisk and led by a very nice and efficient team.
The bath was tiny. I'm officially classed by Marks & Spencer as a 'small man' and I was almost trapped as I tried to lie on my back in the bath.
The hotel was incredibly noisy at 5.00am. I could hear running water all around me and thought there nust be a fault in a duct above my room.
To be fair to the service staff, this was checked thoroughly the next day, with no fault being found, so I guessed it must have been the large party who left the hotel before breakfast, all taking showers at the same time.
I filled in an extensive online survey and asked to be contacted by the manager, but am still waiting for a response.
I felt that this was a serious rip off and the hotel needs to look closely at what guests are offered.

Room Tip: Best avoided. Go to a Premier Inn instead.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael J

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry for all the problems you encountered during your stay and that you have not yet received a response from myself. I now have your details and will come back to you directly on each point.
Yours sincerely
Cormac O'Keefe, General Manager

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great venue, friendly staff, car park full but you can get a free pass to park on the road.
Room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. Great position to get to Gunwharf but you probably should take a taxi if a 10 minute walk is too far. Great pubs on route to visit if you do walk. Great pool if you want a swim. Stayed in a lot of hotels in Portsmouth and this is one of the best.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

I am so glad to note that you enjoy staying at our hotel and that everything was to your liking. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed here due to attending a wedding reception at a near by venue. Good location near Southsea Seafront and very near amusement fair. Ideal location for visiting other areas of Portsmouth like the Historic Dockyard with the Mary Rose, Old Portsmouth, D Day museum and lots more. Being a Platinum IHG Member i did not notice a priority desk on check in and had to wait around 15 minutes to check in has there was large groups checking in at the time i arrived. I was recognized as a IHG platinum member by the reception staff. Hotel has limited parking and had to park on the road outside the hotel, was given a parking permit which i had to display in the car which allowed me free parking. The hotel was clean and tidy, i had booked two family rooms which both were of a fair size which turned out of a bit of a over kill for us but was the same price as a normal room. Purchased breakfast vouchers on check in which were cheaper then purchasing them in the restaurant. Breakfast was good and first time i had seen a waffle making machine in a Holiday Inn so you could make fresh waffles.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul_02_2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor and I am pleased to note that most aspects of your stay were satisfactory. I am very sorry that you had to wait to check in due to the arrival of a group, I do hope you were not kept waiting too long. We do hope you will stay with us again in the near future.
Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

A very enjoyable experience in a scenically beautiful location, The Staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, Just a short walking distance to the beach, main shopping areas and the wonderful historical dockyard which i highly recommend if you haven't been since the arrival of new Mary Rose museum. will visit again soon, many thanks.

Room Tip: Recommend the 5th floor for a beautiful view of the coast
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank michael q
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us this great review. We are always happy when guests enjoy their stay with us and it is a great compliment to us when they wish to come back.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Very helpful and friendly staff, from the moment you arrive at Reception until you depart. The downside is that parking can be interesting at times, but you can park on the street. Plus the size of the bath if you are average height.

Easy walking distance for the historic parts of Portsmouth harbour and many rooms have views out over the water. Plenty of places nearby to eat out at, or get over to Gunwharf Quay for more chooice.

Some rooms are better than others, which you find at most hotels that have a high level of use.

Room Tip: See if you can get a sea view room, if required that have facilities for the less able bodied.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for your kind review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff helpful and friendly. We are indeed lucky to be situated a few minutes from the sea and in an area of Portsmouth where there is so much to see and do.
Thank you again for taking the time to give us your views, we hope you will come back soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Lovely open view of the Solent from our well-kept and quiet room on the fifth floor. Good situation for Old Portsmouth, a short taxi ride to Gunwharf Quay and the Dockyard attractions. Most helpful and welcoming reception. Quiet a/c.

Room Tip: We recommend an upper floor room with a Solent view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thankyou very much indeed for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and all the attractions in the surrounding area. I do hope you will come and stay with again in the not too distant future.