“Good stay”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Very clean and comfortable. Our room was opposite the lifts and we had an undisturbed night. The doors were heavy so were not easy to close quietly but good soundproofing. All the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The children enjoyed the pool. The buffet breakfast was a little pricey ( we had a room only booking ) and bit of a scrum though my teenage son and husband were able to have vast quantities which was ideal. Great location and an easy walk to the Historic Dockyard.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 17Mabel
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you so much for giving our hotel this great review. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have enjoyed their time with us. I am really glad your children liked the pool, we know how lucky we are to have this facility, and that the breakfast was to your liking as well.
We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Cormac O'Keefe

Write a ReviewReviews (1,049)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We visited Portsmouth as a 4-day add-on to a business trip my husband made to UK in fall 2014. While I love small boutique hotels and B&B, my husband prefers hotels. After reading lots of review we ended up with this Holiday Inn because it had parking, what we perceived to be a great location, and restaurant and bar in the hotel. We had a room with a view over the water. Bed a little close to floor and bathroom seemed made for smaller people -- but we expected to feel that way (we are both tall). No problems with noise (and we were mid-hall). Everything clean. Had drinks and snacks in the lounge, ate one night in restaurant because we were tired (food was good but they do bus tours and the staff can be harried -- don't expect fast service). Easy to walk everywhere, and we did. Great location, good staff, clean, quiet rooms. Only challenge was the wifi (and I don't ever expect free of charge at a HI in the US or anywhere else) -- only would allow two devices and we each had a laptop and a phone.

Room Tip: We were on a higher floor and had a room facing the Sound (husband a member of HI rewards club and f...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jane G

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay at this hotel and that you found the hotel clean and the food to your liking. I am sorry that you experienced slow service in the restaurant, this should not be the case even if the restaurant is busy. My new restaurant manager is working hard to ensure we deliver the level of service which all our guests have a right to expect.
I do hope you will stay again in the near future.
Cormac O'Keefe, General Manager

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The building and rooms are tired and overdue a makeover. Typical of large hotel chains there is no free WifI. Breakfast wasnt amazing but it was pretty good and plenty of it. Staff were all friendly and helpful.
Rooms can be noisy with doors slamming and loud guests walking past at all hours.

Location is the saving grace for this place given its only a 15 minute walk to Gunwarf otherwsie it would score much lower.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ant_onlineuk
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

I was so sorry to note that not all aspects of your stay were to your liking but I am pleased that you found our staff friendly and helpful.

We are indeed fortunate in our location with many attractions within walking distance of the hotel.

I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Yours sincerely, Cormac O'Keefe, General Manager

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The bedroom was clean and comfortable enough. Bathroom also clean.

Love that at Holiday Inn I can request feather pillows for a more comfortable nights sleep.

Bed was comfortable enough.

the breakfast was £10 a head - not worth it really! It was buffet style, but the hot plates were not hot enough so it all was a bit cold which was disappointing.

The staff on the front desk were friendly and efficient.

I slept all the way through the night undisturbed (we were in a room at the end of the corridor).

The flush on the loo was faulty, however and got stuck down each time.

This holiday inn has a swimming pool/sauna/steam room which was enjoyable.

Location is good as only fifteen minute walk to Gunwharf Quays via the millennium walk. A taxi at 1am from HMS Warrior to the hotel was only £4.80! Also right by the seafront so you can walk up and down by the sea which was pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LILLY B
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in Portsmouth and that you found the hotel and all its facilities to your liking. I'm sorry you had a slight maintenance issue in your bathroom but this has now been rectified, thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cormac O'keefe

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here for just 1 night had a lovely view from my room and the room was pleasant and clean. Staff was lovely especially the night staff who was so helpful getting us a fan some ice and re cutting our keys straight away. I only had 1 slice of toast and a fried egg for breakfast so was a bit disappointed to pay £12 for this but that was my fault for not eating loads when it was a lovely buffet. Had dinner that night and that was lovely. Would defiantly return to this hotel next time I am in Portsmouth.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review, I am very pleased to note that you found our staff helpful and that you hope to return to us when you are next in Portsmouth and we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Location wasn't bad for visiting the Gunwarf Quay and the Historic Dockyard, about a 10-15 minute walk. The room was OK, a bit small by North American standards. We didn't eat at the hotel, just some drinks which I thought were a bit pricey compared to pubs nearby.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim N

Many thanks for taking the time to post this review. We are very lucky to be located in such a pleasant position and as you say, Gunwharf Quay and the Historic Dockyard are only a short walk away. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights at £109 per night.
I couldn't believe that I was expected to pay an extra £16.00 per night for the internet. I refused and was offered a chance to join the Holiday Inn Club, as long as I agreed to be kept up to date with their special offers.
Internet access was poor.
The common areas wee tatty, and particularly the stairwells, with chipped paint much in evidence.
I strayed onto the emergency exit stairwell and the floor was covered in paint marks and paint was literally peeling off the walls.
Lockers in the gym changing rooms were damaged and not safe to put your valuables in.
Evening mealtime was very strange. One member of staff was on duty for the entire restaurant as well as room service and taking orders for food from the lounge bar.
A simple meal took me 90 minutes, and I was cursing having decided to have a desert, which took 30 minutes off my life.
Breakfast seemed very ample, but the eggs were inedible and I had to beg the only waitress on duty to stop talking to other hotel staff and come and refill my coffee cup.
The second morning's breakfast was much more brisk and led by a very nice and efficient team.
The bath was tiny. I'm officially classed by Marks & Spencer as a 'small man' and I was almost trapped as I tried to lie on my back in the bath.
The hotel was incredibly noisy at 5.00am. I could hear running water all around me and thought there nust be a fault in a duct above my room.
To be fair to the service staff, this was checked thoroughly the next day, with no fault being found, so I guessed it must have been the large party who left the hotel before breakfast, all taking showers at the same time.
I filled in an extensive online survey and asked to be contacted by the manager, but am still waiting for a response.
I felt that this was a serious rip off and the hotel needs to look closely at what guests are offered.

Room Tip: Best avoided. Go to a Premier Inn instead.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael J

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry for all the problems you encountered during your stay and that you have not yet received a response from myself. I now have your details and will come back to you directly on each point.
Cormac O'Keefe, General Manager