“Worst Hotel Ever!!”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Ok, well where do I start.

My wife and I booked this hotel as part of a Peppa Pig break as it was daughters 4th Birthday.

After spending the day at Peppa Pig World at Paultons Park we arrived at approximately 6pm.

On the website it says it has a large car park, well I can assure you it doesn't. We had to park the car on the main road with signs up everywhere warning that car crime is high in the area and too remove all valuables.

After trudging with our 4 year old and 3 month old baby and luggage across the road and into the hotel we were greeted by the receptionist called Mark. His colleague was dealing with a complaint and Mark seemed a little frustrated. Rather aggressively Mark proceeded to ask how he could help. I explained that we wanted to check in to which he relied with "name".... So I gave him my surname and he then gave me a bit of paper which said I only had two adults staying. I explained that this was a mistake and he said" Well it says 2 adults and 2 children on the screen so don't worry about it". I asked him if I could amend the paper work he is asking me to sign and he replied with "look, stop arguing and we can get you checked in quicker and out of the way"...... I was angry that he was so rude and patronising and even another customer came up to me and said they could not believe how rude he was.

When we got into the room our toilet was blocked but as I didn't want to speak to Mark again I had to put my hand down the toilet and clear the blockage myself which I did. However it was clear the flush was broken.

The plug in the bath was also broken and there was no spare bed linen to make up the sofa bed for our 4 year old.

A bit later on we wanted to go out for something eat and in the reception area it had a huge banner saying that if you are booked on the peppa pig weekend then you can get a lunchbox for the next morning just ask at reception.

When I approached reception to ask about this Mark was still there. When he saw me he started to tut and roll his eyes. I asked him about it and he replied with "I havn't got a clue so you will have to do without"

Well at this point I decided to ask him why he was being so rude and patronising to which he replied with "because I can". I then asked him if it was because I was younger than him". He then started shouting at me that I was being racist (we are both white)... People started looking at me and I felt so upset and embarrassed, I only asked him a question about being rude to me.

His colleague on reception kept telling him to calm down but he wouldn't.

A manager called sunny was then called and came over. At this point Mark threw his pen and stormed off.

After explaining all too the manager he apologised and told me Mark was agency and won't be returning after Monday. Well this isn't my fault. He was then calling me in 30 minutes with a resolution. I also informed the manager of the problems in our room.

To be fair he did and he offered me a resolution which I accepted as it had already ruined mine and my families weekend.

Later that evening when we returned after having a meal Mark was still on reception and you could see he wanted another argument but as we were about to walk past him the manager appeared and pulled us aside.

So end of the night so you would think.. When we got to the room none of the problems which I had reported had been fixed and no bed linen had been put in our room.

As I did not want to speak to Mark again we just put up with and our daughter slept in our bed.

The next morning we went for breakfast and the lady asked us how many we wanted the table for. As my parents were also staying at the hotel we asked for a table of 5 and she replied with "Well you can have a table for 4". There was 5 in our party!!

I asked about pushing 2 tables together and she sighed and said yes but you will have to do it.

When we finally did this we discovered that there was clean and dirty cups on our table so we had to call someone to get rid of the dirty cups.

When we checked out we collected my daughters lunchbox from reception (which the manager organised).

My daughter had asked for jam sandwiches so that is what we were expecting.

Lunchtime, guess what. The sandwiches were cheese and the were on stale (and I mean stale) bread. The 2 apples included were obviously about 3weeks old and we're not edible.

All in all a terrible experience and my family and I will never stay at a Holiday Inn again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Miguel A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for bringing your complaint to the attention of the hotel whilst with us, as well as through IHG Guest Relations. As per our email correspondence, the issues have been and are being dealt with as swiftly as is possible.

Miguel Abellan van Kan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while on our honeymoon traveling Europe. While the staff at the front desk was friendly, our stay as a whole was rather disappointing.

For what we paid, the room was pretty pathetic. It was small, cramped, and poorly decorated. The walls were white and adorned randomly with white paintings that looked as though they'd been salvaged from a thrift shop in the 80's. Throw some color on the walls. If you really like those paintings, put them on a red or blue wall, or shoot... even a beige wall. And what is up with the hair dryer? It was this puny little gizmo that was attached to the desk. I had to kneel next to the desk, or hunch over dramatically in the chair, in order to dry my hair.

The room was also quite noisy. Each night, there was a collection of people outside the hotel on the street whooping and hollering at all hours. On one night, we got a total of only four hours sleep. We were not happy about this.

Finally, we were hoping to do some laundry at the hotel while there. We were halfway through our trip, and our clothes needed to be freshened up. In all of my past travels, there has been a simple, logical laundry service available. This hotel offered a service, but no one at the front desk seemed to understand how it worked. Even worse, they were going to charge us 5 pounds per t-shirt. So, in order to for us to run what would have worked out to two loads of wash, it would have cost us 100 pounds! What!? We decided to hold off until our next hotel. Thank goodness we did because they offered a much more reasonable rate: 24 pounds. Huge difference!

We stayed in a lot of hotels while traveling Scotland, England, and France. This was, by far, the worst hotel we stayed in during our travels. It is also the worst Holliday Inn I've stayed in -- and I've stayed in quite a few! It is a shame because the staff was friendly and the location was decent. Update the rooms, throw some color on the walls, help manage the noise level in the parking lot, and revamp the laundry service.

Room Tip: Ask for one off the street. The street is quite noisy at night!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Miguel A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Ahkelteke,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Portsmouth on TripAdvisor.

As a hotel, we are busy with an ongoing in-house maintenance program which does include freshening up the rooms and public areas, and we regularly review areas of concern.

One of our main aims as a hotel is to provide a good night’s sleep to all our guests, and we are disappointed that on this occasion your rest was disturbed. We do have a Manager on Duty at all times, and had they been informed of the noise from outside, would have done their utmost to assist by means of a room move.

All our laundry for guests is outsourced to a company in Portsmouth as we do not have laundry facilities on site. It is a same-day service, and the only time it is not available is on Sundays and Bank Holidays. To offer this service, we do ask guests to hand their laundry to us before 8.30am, as this is when the laundry is collected, and it then comes back later in the afternoon having been washed, dried and ironed. As such, there is a cost involved, however, we have negotiated to keep it as low as possible, and a T-Shirt is £3.95, which we do feel is a reasonable charge for the service given. We will be doing some supplementary training with the Reception team as they should be able to explain the process clearly and concisely.

Should you wish to discuss any of these points in any further detail, please do not hesitate to contact us on: Portsmouth@ihg.com . Due to TripAdvisor Terms and Conditions, we do not have any of your contact details, and are thus unable to contact you directly.

Miguel Abellan van Kan

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The biggest surprise at this establishment is the restaurant and staff. The food was definitely above expectations - interesting menu, well prepared and presented. The senior restaurant staff were on top of a very busy and diverse group of patrons and did exceptionally well. They are a real asset to the hotel. The room was as expected-a bit cramped but ok.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Miguel A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Cheopsfamily,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Portsmouth. We are delighted that we not only met, but exceeded your expectations in certain aspects of your stay.

I will make a point of passing on your kind comment regarding the restaurant team to them, as it is always encouraging to hear that the team does so well when it is particularly busy.

Our room sizes are not quite as generous as we may have liked as they were all planned back in the 1970's, however, we are glad this did not detract from your stay.

Thank you again for your review, and we do hope to see you again on your next visit to the United Kingdom!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just steps away from all the shopping and restaurants you could ask for. The price was a bit on the high side, 3 pounds for a bottle of water, but there is a store just next store.

The rooms are dated, the carpet needs replaced, but the breakfast is good in the morning and the staff are very friendly.

If there is one reason to stay there, it is the location, it can't be beat in Portsmouth.

Room Tip: Elevators are slow, so rooms on the first floor would be the best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Miguel A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Kanadaboy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

We are constantly evaluating our rooms and public areas to see where care and attention is needed, and have an ongoing in-house maintenance program.

It's good to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast, and also that the staff were all friendly - I will make sure you kind comments are passed onto them.

We do hope that you will be staying with us again soon, and thank you again for your time in reviewing the Holiday Inn Portsmouth.

Miguel

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Twelve of us stayed here for a saturday night in June - could n't fault it. Good service, clean & comfy rooms, great breakfast! Pool shut a bit early and on Sunday morning was crowded with kids but thats the only complaint. Excellent location

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Judysurrey,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us - I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

With the lovely, warm weather we have had recently, Portsmouth is even more of a leisure destination than usual, and as a result we do have more families visiting that normal, especially over the weekends. Our pool is limited to a maximum of 28 people at any given time, not only for health and safety reasons, but to ensure it doesn't get overcrowded. Another popular feature is the 'kiddies' pool next to it, which our younger guests tend to frequent very often.

We do hope that you will join us again as soon as you return to Portsmouth.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Booked with my priority membership and got free internet for the entire stay. Staff very nice and friendly and gave me a late checkout with no problems. Used the pool, sauna & steam room a few times - very nice! Will definitely be back if I'm staying in Portsmouth again.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Jim B,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, and also for your continued loyalty to IHG Hotels and the Holiday Inn Portsmouth.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and especially that you will be returning to us when you are next in Portsmouth.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel last September and decided it was worth a return visit.
The location is actually in Southsea area, on a quiet road near to the sea front and beach attractions such as crazy golf. Also a 15 minute easy flat walk to Gunwharf Quay and the Marie Rose exhibition etc.

The hotel is very clean as are the rooms, We upgraded to Executive rooms, disappointed to note that they are the same size as Standard rooms, albeit on the top floor (and you get a bathrobe to use). There is Wi-Fi (sometimes chargeable) and a large free car park. Also a large pool & gym.

The buffet breakfast is excellent with a good choice and do try the pancake maker.
Dinner is also good and well presented. They did not have our previously made reservation and we had to insist that they found us a table as it was part of our inclusive promotional package, so do confirm when you check in.
The staff are all very friendly, and overall I'd recommend this as a pleasant hotel in a good location,

Room Tip: Look on their website for special promotional packages (such as room including breakfast & dinne...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Portsmouth. We are delighted that you enjoyed both your visit in September, and your more recent one.

Our Executive room are defined by a difference in amenities rather than a difference in size, as we are hampered by the 70's layout of the building. You have the added benefit of amenities like a second telephone, larger television, mini bar with complimentary water and chocolate, iron and ironing board, upgraded toiletries in the bathroom, bathrobes and better views,as they are all situated on the higher floors of the hotel.

I was disappointed to learn that the restaurant did not have your reservation for dinner, and I will certainly follow this up with our Food and Beverage Manager.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team - words like yours mean the world to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Portsmouth soon.