“Decidedly average” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Melbourne, Australia
“Decidedly average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

My husband and I had chosen to put up our out of town weddings guests in this hotel and also stay their ourselves the night of our wedding so that we could have breakfast with everyone the next day. The booking was made at least 4 months in advance and we visited the hotel in person the week before the wedding to confirm the names of the guests and which rooms they were to have (we wanted some guests to have executive rooms to make their stays more enjoyable).

I arrived on the morning of our wedding, at 10:30 am, with my wedding dress, bridesmaids and assorted paraphernalia, I was told that the room, which should have been ready for 10am, wouldn't be ready for another 20 minutes due to a "grey area". We were offered a conference room to get ready in which I declined to use, asking instead for a another bedroom so we at least had a mirror and a bathroom to use when getting ready. We were taken to a twin room and started to get ready and then had to decamp to the actual room about 10 minutes later. The staff member was very apologetic (although she trod on my dress whilst trying to carry it - thankfully only damaging the carrier!). In addition to all this unnecessary faffing, which considerably cut in to the time we had to get ready and did nothing to calm my nerves:
*we had also booked rooms for family members and friends from out of town. All of these were paid for in advance but the following morning two of my guests received an invoice.
*my mother-in-law's room had no toilet rolls, towels or tissues.
*some guests were assigned the wrong rooms despite confirming who was to be in which rooms (I even wrote this down for the person on reception).

Overall, the standard of service from the staff is underwhelming, both on the phone and in person and the rooms are OK but nothing to write home about (and considering we were in an executive room/bridal suite this was disappointing).

I wasn't expecting something particularly fancy (this is Portsmouth, after all) but competent staff and a good level of service shouldn't be the preserve of five star hotels. Considering this was what I experienced on my wedding day, I'd advise against using this hotel for anything other than a place to sleep and shower for a simple over night stay. Large bookings don't seem to be handled well and any requests for assistance are met with confusion or indifference.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Portsmouth during July 2010.
I booked the accommodation on line
I booked bed and breakfast but when I came to pay the bill that was not the case.
I explained to the Manager and she told me that because I had booked on line they could
not do anything about it.
I have complained online to their Guest Relation Department back in July and have now got a final reply 29/10/2010 (A long time to get response) and basically its tough luck, and hoped we still stay at a Holiday Inn in the future, I dont think so.
Also for the money we paid for the two nights we were there the room was very tired looking. We have stayed at a lot of Holiday Inns, but not again.
Very unhappy customer.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

Thanks to a recent refurbishment of the reception and bar area of this hotel the first impression is very good. The staff were efficient if not over friendly, and the check-in was simple and quick.
We were only staying for one night, prior to catching an early morning ferry, which is just as well because I don't think we could have coped with the tiny en-suite bathroom for more. To say that the bathroom was small is an understatement. Just to get into the bathroom and close the door it was necessary to move carefully alongside the toilet then shut the door without catching your toe on the edge of the door!
Thankfully the bed was reasonably comfortable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

I recently had the misfortune of staying at this hotel on what should have been the most important night of my life – My wedding night!
On arrival at the hotel – they couldn’t find our booking, which led to me being stood in reception with my wedding dress on for 30 minutes!
I wouldn’t have minded this but the receptionist a prepubescent teenager, thought it would be funny to make jokes and ask stupid questions like ‘Done anything good today?’ whilst I’m stood in my wedding dress.
The room we had was overpriced and completely outdated with no personal touches.
When left alone in our room, we ordered some drinks from the bar, when they hadn’t arrived after 20 minutes; I phoned down only to be told that it takes time! A further 10 minutes went by before the drinks appeared!
My biggest complaint is not actually in the hotel itself, but in the company. I sent a very long email, only to be given an impersonal apology. Having sent that back I was offered 5000 points, which wouldn’t even cover another night at hotel. I sent this back again, explaining that I didn’t think this was good enough, explaining that this is a night, I shall never get back. Holiday Inns response was to offer us the equivalent to £50! Needless to say, I found this completely shocking and gave up with Holiday Inn.
I’m disappointed we never received a phone call or email from the Portsmouth Holiday Inn themselves.
I shall never ever recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flossface

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Bromley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

Firstly, the Google map/location for the hotel was wrong but fortunately the hotel isn't difficult to find.
Secondly, re the hotel itself: it isn't a very attractive building (quite austere) but there was adequate parking and the location is good for Old Portsmouth, Southsea, the ferry terminals, and Portsmouth Harbour Station. Room was comfortable but a bit small and not a lot of cupboard space. Bed was good. The radio channels available on the TV were very limited. There were two lifts but only one operating which was somewhat inconvenient since we were on the fifth floor and the lifts were small. Had dinner at the hotel on first evening which was overpriced and not that good. However, breakfasts (buffet service) were very good. Service in restaurant for dinner and breakfast was fairly good. Did not use the swimming pool/spa/gym facilities so cannot comment.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheRoyOfTheRovers
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2010

I recently stayed in the Holiday Inn Portsmouth for just one night. It was an impulse trip and booked last minute but the hotel was able to accommodate us. As this was the first trip together for my partner and I, I wanted it to be as nice as possible. We booked a standard double room but upon arrival we were upgraded free of charge to a family room which was really kind. The room was of a large size and overlooking the sea. There were a few complimentary items in the minibar which was lovely! You don't see that in many hotels. Found the bathroom clean. No free wifi though. Not a must on a leisure trip but would have been nice just to quickly check some emails. The hotel is in walking distances of Gunwharf Quays as well as the beach. I normally don't stay in Holiday Inns as they're not my kind of hotel but the level of kindness and the professionalism of the staff changed my mind so I will probably return in the future. All in all a nice stay. Discovered that there was a pool too late so will have to come back to try that out.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

I spent a night here with my wife and two girls (11 and 9) expecting the usual Holiday Inn efficiency, child-friendliness and OK standards of food and comfort. We stay in Holiday Inns a fair bit - having had a very good experience of a HIE Express also in Portsmouth two nights earlier. We were initially made grumpy by a delayed check-in and a 'full' swimming pool, but arrived at dinner in good spirits. The restaurant was busy with a large party of German tourists in for the night, and the main course arrived after a 20 minute wait. No big deal, but there was a problem with one main course which bore no resemblance to the pasta with roasted vegetable (two slivers of vegetable and a lot of tinned tomato) and ciabatta (garlic bread). We were offered an alternative which we declined as my wife's only other choice was not available and we said that we would not be paying for the pasta. We expected a conversation about this, but not a defensive, battling approach from the waitresses' manager and his manager. They may have been busy but their whole demeanor was that we were the problem. We did get frustrated but not unpleasant. All we wanted was some acknowledgment that things were not up to scratch, an apology and a proper conversation about our meal. Instead we were cast as the problem. Holiday Inn you need to up your game and prepare your managers in effective complaint handling if you do not want to risk losing regular users like myself and my family. The correct action was taken as the dish was taken off our bill but no-one said sorry, (until the waitress caught us on the way out), and they simply could not handle the fact that their chef had let them down with a low standards. We were treated as though we had unreasonably high standards. The rest of the stay was fine but get a grip HI Portsmouth restaurant staff.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family