“Reliable choice”

Ranked #459 of 675 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We do online bookings where you can book via our Webpage, this can be found on the Flaming Grill website.
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Had lunch again today with my dad.. Was a good lunch for me but my dad said the fish and chips was dry.. Probably something from frozen as it's probably not a very popular dish.
I enjoy this place and I am a very regular visitor. The service is always spot on.
Only downside I see to the place is that the car park has recently changed and you have to pay!
Would still recommend as I enjoy the steaks and so does my mum!

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

This really is the worst food iv ever had , how many things can a chef get wrong
I ordered a salad and wen I came it was a plate of lettace only
No tomatoes cucumber unions or peppers as menu said just lettace . I could not believe it I sent it bk and wen it returned they needent of bothered there was not even half a Tomato
It was ridiculous
My sons beef dinner came all hot except for the beef which was fresh from fridge and fridge cold they obviously never put in in microwave with the rest of the dinner
Really discusted and felt robbed
It wasnt that busy either so no excuse

Reviewed 7 June 2014

No one at reception as we arrived, so sat at a table with my girlfriend. After being sat for over ten minutes and about to order, a member staff came up and said we had to move as table was reserved, but was no sign to be seen then I said this to him then I was told with a smirk on his face all these tables are reserved and it's over an hour wait for food so we got up and left , very ironically as we passed through the bar and restaurant it's was pretty much like a ghost town with no one around, we only saw one reserved sign out of all tables -

1  Thank Pats1987
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Coach & Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Pats1987

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Coach & Horses with regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Flaming Grill

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Had lunch at the Coach and Horses pub in Portsmouth on 31/05/14 with my wife and my daughter. This was our first visit here. The first thing that surprised me was the pay and display car park that the pub has surrounding it. £1 for 3 hours. The ticket machine issues you with 2 tickets though, and one of these can be redeemed by patrons at the bar. This apparently is to deter non patrons from parking outside the pub which is fair enough I suppose. The pub is part of the Flaming Grill chain, similar to Hungry Horse, and as such has a clean and standardised feel to it. It wasn't very busy at the time and the greeting we received at the bar was warm and genuine. You find a table and order at the bar. We opted for the sharing platter to start, I had the chicken new yorker burger, my wife the mixed grill and my daughter the lasagne. The platter took about 20 minutes to arrive and when it did the garlic bread was very over cooked, to the point that it couldn't be bitten into without fracturing all over the table. The filled potato skins were also a little over cooked too, but I decided to live with them. We told a member of staff about the garlic bread, and they were very apologetic and a replacement was provided within a couple of minutes. The replacement was fine. When we had finished the starter, the platter dish was taken away and then we waited a full 30 minutes for the main courses to arrive. As previously mentioned, it was not busy so I found the wait not particularly acceptable. We notified a member of staff and after a minute or so, he came back and apologised and said that our meals would be another 5 minutes. When they did eventually arrive I was impressed with the portion sizes and the appearance of the food presented, However, the lasagne came with a side of garlic bread, and this also was totally over cooked. We again notified a member of staff and as before they were very apologetic and brought another replacement out quite quickly. This aside, the mixed grill was well presented and my wife said she enjoyed it, the lasagne was very tasty, much better than the usual bland offerings I have come across in similar pub chains, and my burger was also very tasty and well presented. Halfway through our meal (due to age and absent mindedness) I suddenly realised that I had forgotten to use the 20% off voucher I had downloaded earlier that morning off the internet, As I had already paid by card I thought that it would no longer be possible to use it, however on the off chance I asked a member of the waiting staff and they couldn't have been more accommodating. They voided my first bill, and gave me a new one with the 20% discount applied. The also brought the card machine to the table to save me a trip to the bar. Excellent customer service I felt. So to summarise, a nice pub, friendly and accommodating staff, and nice well presented food, apart from (in this instance) a kitchen mishap that occurred not once but twice! For this reason alone I felt I couldn't give it 4 stars on this occasion. I will however return at some point, as I think that the benefit of the doubt should be given to them, and maybe a second chance to prove they can get it right the first time would be fair.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We are new customers and have used the Coach & Horses twice during May, once in the evening and once at lunchtime. On both occasions the food has been very good and the portions generous. Our latest visit saw just two staff front of house and they handled everything in an efficient, polite and unruffled manner. A member of the kitchen staff helped, when required, to deliver meals to the table and he, too, was smart & very pleasant.

The meals represent excellent value for money and, if you have room for a dessert, then try the "Mountain of Sweet". It really is a monster and, even with 4 sharing, it's a challenge worth taking on.

We are impressed and have promised ourselves that we will be visiting on a fairly regular basis in future. The £1.00p for 3 hours parking fee, in the daytime, is only to deter non-users of the restaurant and is refunded when ordering.