“Busy and staff under pressure”

Ranked #271 of 738 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Hilsea. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Portsmouth’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed 27 June 2018

This is a classic stop over near the port. a busy place with the staff under pressure from the numbers. Good friendly service and wholesome food, the roast is a whopper don't upgrade it as you wont finish it all. Travel lodge next door very convenient and good combo

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Hilsea, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Hey Peter T,

We would like to say a big thank you for taking the time to leave us this great feedback about your most recent visit with us here at Toby Carvery Hilsea. It is a real delight to see you thoroughly enjoyed your visit on this occasion! The team and I are also very happy to see you enjoyed the food and service during your visit! Do you think we can improve for next time? We would love to see those 5 Stars!

Thank you again Peter for reaching out to us, we really appreciate this wonderful review!

We do hope to see you again very soon!

Have a fantastic day Peter!

Reviewed 23 June 2018

I was staying at the Travel lodge next door so had 5 breakfasts and one dinner at the Toby.

On my first morning I was told that I had come in the wrong door. I moved to the correct place and the server seemed to just want me to have the buffet breakfast. I asked if there was anything else, she said no (.Having checked the website I was aware that other things were available) I said I though there was porridge Oh yes she said I can make that for you, I asked about cereal, I could apparently only have the choice of the ones that she had by the till which was about three.She did not mention that I could also have toast.

The whole place is dirty. The chairs are stained and the bottom of the chairs are all dusty. the wood partitions between the sections are covered in fingerprints and food stains. I ordered a glass of tap water along with my alcoholic drink but couldn't bring myself to drink it as the top of the glass was so dirty. The plates for toast in the morning were usually wet and the undersides had food stuck on them.

The one dinner I had was OK for the price paid and that evening the male sever was very peasant but a lot of the staff need to up their game.

2  Thank Travellers-Chick

Hi there Travellers-Chick,

Firstly, I would like to apologise about the disappointing experiences you have had with us. We have thoroughly read through your comments and taken actions with all of team here at Toby Carvery Hilsea.

I am in full agreement with you that the quality of service at the time of your visit fell below standards expected and set. I would like to stress that these issues, along with overall standards have been addressed with retraining and a more focused attitude towards quality and standards in order to continually meet our guests’ expectations.

We do hope you will back for a returned visit with us, as we would like the opportunity to restore your faith.

Once again thank you for bringing this matter to our attention as we are committed to continual improvement and your feedback helps us to take appropriate action to ensure we are providing the consistently high standards that our guests expect.

The team and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2018

staff were average at best -food was ok but not brill - wine was well priced but my husbands beer was awful

1  Thank Karen M
TCHilsea, Manager at Toby Carvery Hilsea, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Hi Karen,

We do sincerely apologise your experience was not a positive one on this occasion. We never like to see our guests leave disappointed. We will be sharing your comments and review with all of our team here at Toby Carvery Hilsea. We do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, We do find this very helpful, as we are always looking for ways to improve and move forward.

Again, we do sincerely apologise for your recent visit with us, we do hope this does not put you off visiting us again in the future.

We are looking forward to seeing you again for a much improved visit.

Thank you Karen, have a great day!

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Went to have Sunday lunch. We were told there would be a 20 minute wait to be seated. Usually this would be fine but due to time we said thank you but we will leave it. The extremely rude host who had a bad Paul Weller type hair cut said what you don’t want to wait and laughed. We said no we are short on time. By this time 2 other members of staff had joined him. We said thanks but we don’t have time. As we walked out the door the three of them were talking about us and laughing out loud at us.
It’s the most uncomfortable I’ve felt in a restaurant. Won’t be visiting any Toby if this is how they treat people

1  Thank davidkC8724NQ
General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Hilsea, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Hi there David,

I would like to sincerely apologise about your most recent visit with us here at Toby Carvery Hilsea. I can assure you it was never the hosts intension to come across rude or disrespectful. These comments have been passed on and actioned with all of the team who were working on this day, this is to ensure nothing like this happens again in our restaurant.

Again, I do sincerely apologise for this disappointing experience. We never like to see our guests leaving unhappy. We do hope you will be back again in the near future, as we love the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention as we are committed to continual improvement and your feedback helps us to take appropriate action to ensure we are providing the consistently high standards that our guests expect.

The team and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Have a great day!

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Gave this place a second chance after a very poor breakfast, we thought we’d try the carvery. First impressions, poor. We stood at the wait to be seated area for a few minutes whilst the 3 staff had a chat, no acknowledgement of us standing there. Eventually shown to a very small table in the far corner, walking past plenty of empty tables. We sat down for 10 minutes before being asked what we would like to drink, far too long considering the place was half empty. After placing drink orders we went to the servers. Choice of meats was ok, but the veg choice very poor. Do you really need 4 types of potatoes? Actual veg choice was peas, carrots, cauliflower, red cabbage or onions. How about reducing the spuds and adding broccoli, green beans or Savoy cabbage or other vegetables? Finally, charging over £4 for a Can of IPA is way over the type, especially when the choice of ales all bar one was ‘off’. Therefore as with my breakfast review this was a well below average visit.

1  Thank SouthCoastFamilyMan
General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Hilsea, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

HI SouthCoastFamilyMan,

We do apologise you did not have a positive experience with us on this occasion. This is very disappointing to read, and again we do apologise you left unhappy. We will be sharing your feedback with our Front of House team to review and improve speed of service. unfortunately, our vegetable calendar is set by our menu team, but we do change our vegetables at the deck monthly. We will be passing your comments on to our Menu team to ensure we can improve in this area.

Again, I do apologise, we do not have control over our pricing for our food or drink menu. I can assure you that this is not a common occurrence regarding our cask ales. This should never happen, we normally run with three different ales thorough the year to provide a selection, again I do apologise this was not the case on your visit.

SouthCoastFamilyMan, we really do appreciate you taking the time to leave us this detailed review, we will be using your feedback to ensure we improve for future visits for all of our guests.

Thank you again for reaching out to us, we do hope we see you again for a much improved visit.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy the sunshine!