1,452 results
All reviews gunwharf quays great location car park spinnaker tower historic dockyard first floor bars and restaurants per day shopping centre parking ticket the breakfast area hms victory breakfast was included train station hotel guests yogurt gun wharf
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had a night away with my wife good hotel right in the centre of gunwarf quays good helpful staff should have it own parking in the underground car park took to long to find a parking space
Had a nice room with a good view over gunwarf quays but could do with bigger beds nowadays

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

It's a Holiday Inn Express!
Close to shops and restaurants in Gunwharf, ideal for the Historic Shipyards.
Comfortable room. Friendly staff.
Bit of a pain to park and then find your way back to the hotel.
A footpath from the hotel down into the parking garage would help matters.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 September 2018

Stayed here as my usual Portsmouth hotel was full, it is pretty similar to other holiday inn express' I had stayed at. Breakfast reasonably good, rooms small and one plus was that the parking was cheap (free for day 1, £2 each day after that). One frustrating thing is that the room did not have an iron and when I called to ask for one I had to get and pick up myself. Generally okay for what it is, could do better around customer support.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi, Robbie A!

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback!

I am glad that you find our parking and its rate adequate. I am also happy that you liked our breakfast. But, I am sorry that you find the size and amenities of the room lacking. I have noted and shared your comments with our hotel management and staff. This will allow them to check on the things we need to improve in order to get your 100% satisfaction in the future.

As we strive to become better, we would love to once again host your next stop in the area.

Many thanks,

Anne A

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

We travelled from Cardiff to Southsea for the weekend and stayed at the Holiday inn express Gunwharf Quays as its perfectly placed being directly in the middle of the Gunwharf Quays with all the outlet shops and all the bars and restaurants all around it so you can just park the car up and forget about it and just start to relax from the moment you arrive plus you are 5 mins walk away from the historic naval dockyard and the victory and mary rose etc and it’s quite easy to get to the town centre or the seafront from the hotel! But unfortunately on this occasion we found the hotel experience very disappointing, we found the staff to be abrupt and rude with no customer service at all!! On arriving in our room we started to shower and get ready to go out for the evening and noticed that my shirt was creased from travelling but disappointingly there was no iron or ironing board in the room so I tried to call reception and tried and tried again but on each and every occasion there was no answer after 15 mins of constantly trying I googled the external number for the hotel and rang twice off my mobile but on both occasions it rang and rang and rang by this time as you can imagine I was very frustrated and annoyed so tried to call off my mobile again and after ringing for quite a while I finally got through to a lady who I explained that I had been trying for 20 mins of more to get through to reception but she didn’t apologise or anything she just rudely told me it was an express hotel!!! I then explained why I had been calling and that I needed an iron and explained that for the money they charged per room I was disappointed that there was no iron in the room only to be rudely told again that it was an express hotel and that they do not supply an iron in the room!! But if I wanted to come down to reception I could have one but I explained that I’d showered and wasn’t dressed but was told abruptly again that if I wanted it I needed to go to reception!!! After a heated debate about the fact that I’d wasted 20/30 minutes of my evening trying to contact them that the least they could do was provide some customer service and bring it up to the room which under duress she agreed to do! After we were ready we went down stairs to find that the receptionist wasn’t only a receptionist but she was also acting as the barmaid this obviously being the reason why there was no answer on reception when I was trying to call! Sadly after the attitude we had received on the phone we decided against our initial plan of having a few drinks at the bar and immediately left the hotel to go out to the local bars for a drink and to have a meal! On returning to the hotel we went straight back to our room which was on the third floor and right at the end of the corridor while we were walking along there was a terrible smell of “weed” along the the corridor, even though the rooms where non smoking someone was obviously smoking in one or more of the rooms as the distinctive smell of “weed” obvious!! Anyway the following morning we woke up and wanted to have a coffee but couldn’t because there had only been two pots of UHT milk in the room which we had had with a coffee the night before, they cost pennies and there should of been more than two in the room for 2 adults for an evening stay! So we decided to go down for breakfast and have a coffee, in fairness the breakfast was a buffet style and was all hot and fresh and very tasty with a good choice of cereal, fruit, cooked breakfast and cakes and juices and coffee etc , unfortunately the customer service was totally absent again when my wife asked for some tomato sauce to be harshly told it’s over there! No smile to help and just rude!! Anyway it was time to check out so we went to reception where there are only 2 tills and someone was stood by the one so we stood next to the other one, the chap behind the counter just looked up and didn’t say anything just gestured with his head as if to say yes what do you want so I said we would like to check out please to which he replied come to this till then, even though it was only 2 ft away and there was someone already stood there so we took a step sideways to him and was abruptly asked what room, to which I answered he then produced a sheet which had a receipt attached to it which I notice had my credit card details on it, which I was surprised about and concerned that it was kept there for anyone to get hold of and I queried this as I thought under the new GDPR rules and regulations companies were not allowed to keep details of your credit card details on record ?! He rudely said we have to keep them in case you left without paying?! I shook my head and went to get my card out to pay he just said there’s no need as produced a receipt from the card machine and gave it to me! Then proceeded to walk away at no time did he ask if we had enjoyed our stay or he hoped that we would return soon or to have a nice day or a safe journey home!! Although the hotel is ideally situated for a stay in Portsmouth and the Gunwharf quays , the customer service was far from ideal or inviting!! We stay in Portsmouth every couple of months but after this experience we will think long and hard about staying this hotel again!!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi MikeyGreen68,

My name is Anthony and I thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I'm so pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel in the area and the breakfast selection we serve. On the other hand, I'm so sorry for the unusual smell you noticed in our hallways and the kind of services you received from our staff. This is not the norm, nor the best here and I will make sure that our management team will be made aware of your concerns we can check and improve the areas that needs attention.

Anthony M

Reviewed 6 September 2018

Location of the hotel is really good, in the middle of Gunwharf quays and close to Southsea, Town Centre, Historic Dockyard, IOW Ferry.

Staff also very friendly.

The breakfast was ok. Usually HIE fare.

Our room was a bit dated and I have to say for the price a little disappointing, but for a couple of nights stay and the location it wasn't anything that would put us off going again too much.

It was a bit hard to find the entrance to the hotel and on finally getting there they only have a very limited amount of car parking spaces. Therefore, we had to find a space in the underground Gunwharf quays car park (basically drove round and round until a space opened up for over half an hour). Not ideal after a long drive.

However, the hotel do have a discount rate with this car park so it was very cheap.

Although the car park situation wouldn't 100% stop us staying here again as such, we would certainly try and find an alternative first.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hoopsHarwich
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello hoopsHarwich,

Thanks for staying and for taking the time to share your experience with Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays.

I truly understand your dismay regarding the room condition and parking space and I'm sorry. It's disappointing that we were not able to provide you with the best quality facilities. We strive to provide the best service and accommodations for our guests but regret that was not your experience. I'll definitely share your thoughts with our hotel management team as a reference for future enhancements. I am confident that necessary steps will be made to avoid the same inconvenience in the future.

On the upside, it's good to know that you were impressed with the service of our staff and you found our location ideal. I've shared your compliments with the team and have been acknowledged by the hotel management.

Your feedback will definitely help us towards bettering our services. We hope to host you again soon, hoopsHarwich!

All the best,