“Smallish portions, pleasant decor”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #251 of 661 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the village of Horndean, the Red Lion serves a diverse seasonal menu of freshly cooked, classic British pub dishes. We're proud of our homely and welcoming atmosphere and broad selection of drinks, including tempting wines, well kept beers and refreshing soft drinks. Plus, we're situated close to Charles Dickens' birthplace and St John's Cathedral - perfect for days out. We hope to see you soon!
London, United Kingdom
“Smallish portions, pleasant decor”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

It's fair to say that the food was adequate, rather than good. The portions were smaller than average for a pub meal, accompanied by just a tablespoon of peas and a few chips. The chips were of poor quality. The puddings were somewhat better and the service was quite good. It could only be classed as good value for money if the portions were a bit more generous. On the upside, this did allow you room to enjoy the puddings. The interior has, I understand, been fairly recently revamped and I liked it. The design means that you hardly see the other diners, though you hear them. We were there for a weekday lunchtime and it was not too busy.

• Visited April 2014
Michael O, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hi Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. It's sounds like overall you had a good experience. Feedback helps us improve what we do .

Perhaps you could email me and tell me a little more about your experience such as what food you had and who served you.

Redlion.portsmouth@Whitbread.com

Thanks again

Michael

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Service”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I use Premier Inn frequently for work and am not a stranger to Table Table restaurants. The service received here was fantastic. Eating on your own isn't much fun but I was waited on by Vicky B who really went out of her way to make me feel welcome. She was genuine, friendly and couldn't do enough, not just for me but for other customers dining. The food was lovely and was served promptly despite it being busy. Will be feeding it back to my company for future bookings.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Reasonable”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Reasonable mass produced pub grub, good value for money. Service for main course quiet good for 5 of us, but my friend waited a further 10 mins for Ham, Egg and Chips!
Coffee or Tea should be enjoyed at end of meal, but as such a long wait of 25 mins for puddings, they had been drunk and cups cleared away before puddings served. The strawberries in my sundae were still frozen, and as with the main course my friend had to wait another 5 mins for a simple plain ice cream.
Overall slow service let the meal down.

• Visited February 2014
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Diabolical - Avoid”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

40 mins for our starter to appear and 1hr latter for the main!!!!!!!!!! Utterly useless staff but the food was ok. To be fair I would eat anything after a 2hr wait.

• Visited January 2014
Michael O, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
I am extremely sorry that you had such a disappointing experience, I would like to understand more about when you came and why you had such a wait. We have gone from strength to strength over the past 6 months and would really like to resolve this issue as somewhere along the line we have really dropped the ball on your visit for you to feel so negatively about it.

I would be grateful if you could email to discuss this matter further and hopefully allow me the chance to regain the confidence that you have lost in us.
Redlion.portsmouth@whitbread.com.

Once again, my apologies.

Michael
General manager
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Great value for money, decent food, nice place with many offers, pate is delicious very well presented food. Child friendly and accommodating

• Visited August 2013