“Good value pub food and suprisingly good service”

Red Lion - Portsmouth Table Table
Ranked #215 of 731 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$5 - US$24
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Spend time with us for great pub food in a place you'll love. We serve classic dishes with a modern twist - it's the perfect place to get together with familly and friends. Located in the village of Horndean, the Red Lion serves a diverse seasonal menu of freshly cooked, classic British pub dishes. We're proud of our homely and welcoming atmosphere and broad selection of drinks, including tempting wines, well kept beers and refreshing soft drinks. Plus, we're situated close to Charles Dickens' birthplace and St John's Cathedral - perfect for days out. We hope to see you soon!
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Visited on spec weekday evening, table for 2 . Warm welcome, and very good service from our waiter. Food is budget priced and is mass produced but actually was pretty good and good value. So midweek it makes a change from cooking at home and loading the dishwasher! Serves Costa coffee- good if you like it not so if you don't.
There is a Premier Inn very nearby and a few local shops. Queen Elizabeth country park is a short drive up the road and many pretty villages of Hampshire are all around.

Michael O, Manager at Red Lion - Portsmouth Table Table, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, I'm glad you had a pleasant visit.
The team and I would love to get some more details about your visit so we can pass on the credit to your waiter and chefs. If you would like to then just drop us an email at Redlion.portsmouth@whitbread.com.

Hopefully see you soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

It's fair to say that the food was adequate, rather than good. The portions were smaller than average for a pub meal, accompanied by just a tablespoon of peas and a few chips. The chips were of poor quality. The puddings were somewhat better and the service was quite good. It could only be classed as good value for money if the portions were a bit more generous. On the upside, this did allow you room to enjoy the puddings. The interior has, I understand, been fairly recently revamped and I liked it. The design means that you hardly see the other diners, though you hear them. We were there for a weekday lunchtime and it was not too busy.

Michael O, Manager at Red Lion - Portsmouth Table Table, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Hi Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. It's sounds like overall you had a good experience. Feedback helps us improve what we do .

Perhaps you could email me and tell me a little more about your experience such as what food you had and who served you.

Redlion.portsmouth@Whitbread.com

Thanks again

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I use Premier Inn frequently for work and am not a stranger to Table Table restaurants. The service received here was fantastic. Eating on your own isn't much fun but I was waited on by Vicky B who really went out of her way to make me feel welcome. She was genuine, friendly and couldn't do enough, not just for me but for other customers dining. The food was lovely and was served promptly despite it being busy. Will be feeding it back to my company for future bookings.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Reasonable mass produced pub grub, good value for money. Service for main course quiet good for 5 of us, but my friend waited a further 10 mins for Ham, Egg and Chips!
Coffee or Tea should be enjoyed at end of meal, but as such a long wait of 25 mins for puddings, they had been drunk and cups cleared away before puddings served. The strawberries in my sundae were still frozen, and as with the main course my friend had to wait another 5 mins for a simple plain ice cream.
Overall slow service let the meal down.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

40 mins for our starter to appear and 1hr latter for the main!!!!!!!!!! Utterly useless staff but the food was ok. To be fair I would eat anything after a 2hr wait.

Michael O, Manager at Red Lion - Portsmouth Table Table, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

I am extremely sorry that you had such a disappointing experience, I would like to understand more about when you came and why you had such a wait. We have gone from strength to strength over the past 6 months and would really like to resolve this issue as somewhere along the line we have really dropped the ball on your visit for you to feel so negatively about it.

I would be grateful if you could email to discuss this matter further and hopefully allow me the chance to regain the confidence that you have lost in us.
Redlion.portsmouth@whitbread.com.

Once again, my apologies.

General manager