“Very disappointing. ”

Red Lion - Portsmouth Table Table
Ranked #248 of 727 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$5 - US$24
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Spend time with us for great pub food in a place you'll love. We serve classic dishes with a modern twist - it's the perfect place to get together with familly and friends. Located in the village of Horndean, the Red Lion serves a diverse seasonal menu of freshly cooked, classic British pub dishes. We're proud of our homely and welcoming atmosphere and broad selection of drinks, including tempting wines, well kept beers and refreshing soft drinks. Plus, we're situated close to Charles Dickens' birthplace and St John's Cathedral - perfect for days out. We hope to see you soon!
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

We have never eaten here before. The food except for my husbands all our meals were average but Luke warm. My husband ordered a ribeye steak what was presented was not that. He mentioned it to Tracy our waitress who made no comment. So we were disappointed and won’t repeat the experience. A note for disabled clients poorly lit and very uneven surface.

RedLionDM, Manager at Red Lion - Portsmouth Table Table, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Dear Ann B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us here at the Red Lion. I am very sorry and disappointed that you didn't enjoy your visit with us. Not just the issues with your food but our appearance also. We never want our guests to leave us unsatisfied and unhappy with our service, and I would like to rectify this for you.
If you would like to email me at Rhiannon.jury@Whitbread.com we can try to sort something out for you in hope that you can give us another chance.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

What a terrible place. The food was not properly cooked. One of 2 meals was just acceptable but the other was inedible.
The atmosphere was dark and dingy. One of those places where you want to wipe your feet on the way out. I would only visit this place again if it was razed to the ground and rebuilt.

1  Thank Chris B

Dear Chris B
I am very sorry that you didn't have an enjoyable experience with us, its very disappointing when our guests leave unhappy and unsatisfied with our service and our standards. The issues you have raised above have been addressed and unfortunately there are some areas of our restaurant that do have lighting issues due to the location of the table.
If you would like to email me at Rhiannon.jury@Whitbread.com and I will sort something out for you and your guest if you will allow us another chance.
Hope to hear from you soon

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

This sunday I poped in for a breakfast and was very impressed. As someone who gets to stay in many Premier Inns I know that the quality of breakfast can vary and the typical buffet is often cold and unappealing if caught at the wrong time. Here it was really nice to have the hot breakfast cooked to order (as much as you want). All the usual trimmings, cerials, crumpets, toast etc in the buffet.
The restaurant was busy but calm and a very nice warm atmosphere. Perfect for a sunday morning with my paper. Staff were pleasant and attentive. It also helps that the price is only £8.99 and kids eat for free with paying adults. You cant argue with the value and as the breakfast was delivered quickly, hot and tasty whats not to like? Two thumbs up.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

I made an online booking for early Saturday evening & specified we would be 3 adults and a toddler, for whom we would need a high chair. When we were shown to our allotted table there was no high chair in place, so we had to ask the waitress to bring one. After a few minutes sitting in the chair our grand-daughter started to complain about something beside her on the high chair. Upon running my hand inside the chair, I got damp pasta and sauce stuck to my fingers! We told the waitress but instead of bringing a damp cloth, she brought a folded paper napkin for me to wipe my hand on. On further investigation along the inside of the chair, I found more pieces of food which I had to clean up with the napkin. Surely after a small child has used a high chair, it should be wiped down as a matter of course! Also the table was not particularly clean where my husband was sitting. Then one of our wine glasses had to be returned as it was dirty (lipstick marks). After we had ordered our meals, the starters and child's main course took half an hour to arrive which seemed excessive as the restaurant was not full by any means. Our starters and main courses were quite tasty but our daughter was disappointed with her sirloin steak which she said was tasteless. We were not expecting fine dining but the cleanliness aspect of the meal spoilt the occasion (a birthday treat).

Dear janre50
Thankyou for taking the time to write a review for us. However I am very sorry that its not a very positive one. The issues you have raised in your review have been addressed, and attention has been bought towards the whole team to keep on top of the cleanliness of our highchairs and our bar standards, as that is not what you want to find when you go out for dinner especially on a special occasion.
I would like to opportunity to invite you back for a meal with us one evening whenever is convenient for you, to hopefully give us a second chance. If you would like to email me at Rhiannon.jury@Whitbread.com we can discuss booking you in and sorting something out for you. I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

Went for dinner on my birthday weekend. I had Chicken Forestiere and my partner had the mixed grill. Food came promptly, it was well cooked, stayed hot until the end, which can be tricky with mixed grills. It all tasted wonderful. We had the G&T lemon trifle for dessert, which was absolute heaven, although I was too full to finish mine, I enjoyed every mouthful I had. Our server was attentive, but not intrusive throughout and the atmosphere was cosy and intimate where we were sat. Downsides? Well, cosy and intimate meant the light was a bit low for me to easily read the menu, but not a real problem.
My biggest issue has nothing to do with the Red Lion - they called us a cab at our request - but over an hour and two chase ups later I had to call on family to collect us - we were getting in the family car when a cab finally arrived - which we ignored, too late! - so I suggest you make sure of your travel plans, plenty of car parking, but the Red Lion could not be faulted.

Dear Joy D
Thankyou so much for your lovely review of us here at the Red Lion. I love reading reviews from our guests and seeing that you have had a lovely experience with us, and that you will be joining us again soon. I'm sorry that the taxi's were challenging that evening, we have since spoken to the firms each to try and sort out a system with them and it seems to be working a lot better without waiting long or confusion with taxis. We do hope to see you again soon, especially as our festive menu launches on the 23rd which we are all excited about.