“closed but still on the website”

Dockyard Apprentice
Ranked #31 of 130 things to do in Portsmouth
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were looking forward to visiting this exhibit as part of our day at the Dockyard. We were very sorry to see that it was closed. Not just closed for the day, but the space looked empty! The gift shop next to it was still open, and when we asked about the Apprentice exhibit, all we got was a shrug and "it's closed." Why it still comes up on the website several weeks later is a mystery to me.

1  Thank Kathy49NJ

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

A lovely visit. I really enjoyed it. I was born in the area and it brought back memories of my youth. It showed ordinary people's lives and work.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Not much happening really, went through in about 5 mins. Needs more about the real life of becoming an apprentice and serving your time.

1  Thank jon s
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Good exhibition telling the stories of the various apprentices who have worked in the dockyards and the tools they would have used; gives you a real insight into the history of the people who worked there.

2  Thank JEL219
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This visit was a revisit for me and for anyone who hasn't seen it may I thoroughly recommend it! For anyone these days that like me has served a proper formal trade apprenticeship it will no doubt jog the memory. There are a good many examples of apprentices work pieces on display that show the high exacting standards required of the Admiralty.
The displays are informative with plenty of illustration and commentary. It's not just about Craftsmanship, it's about skill, pride and ingenuity, above all else it's about what HM Dockyard Portsmouth used to do!

1  Thank Patrick M