“A bit creepy”

Southsea Model Village
Ranked #47 of 126 things to do in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Southsea Model Village is a 1/12th scale village built in 1956. We are located on Southsea seafront next to the canoe lake and rose gardens. Just 30 seconds walk from the beach. There is also ample parking only 100 yards walk away. The model village is a delightful place to spend time for both young and old. We have a Toy Museum with toys from the past and present. An interactive miniature model fairground. The Rifleman's Tunnel which is 125ft long and holds our scale handmade model of Portsmouth Guildhall and Spinnaker Tower. Also our large g scale railway with Thomas And Friends,chugging around the Village which is especially enjoyed by our younger visitors. Not forgetting our own Castle over looking the Solent with wonderful views for miles, a perfect spot for a picnic. We have a great Snack Bar on site serving ice cream,hot & cold food, including Chips, hot dogs ,homemade gourmet burgers and baguettes with fillings of your choice all freshly made.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Visited out of curiosity. Found it a bit creepy in it's rundown state with broken windows, mismatched and faded figures and green sludgy waterways (why is there a mannequins dismembered hand stuck on the tree?) Made me think of nursery rhymes sung in horror films. They also have a shed featuring a doll collection behind glass - unfortunately the spiders and spiders webs were our side of the glass.
It appears that it is run by model railway enthusiasts who only care about the trains. The Thomas and Percy were running throughout our visit and my 3 year old did love them. He found the tunnel - featuring matchstick models - creepy but didn't mind the rest.
It was £3 for adults and £2 for children. Entrance via a cafe which made the whole place smell of greasy food.
Will not be returning.

"southsea"
in 14 reviews
"track"

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My father used to bring us to Southsea Model Village in the early 60's when we were children. It was glorious then and we never wanted to leave! During a recent visit to the area I was so thrilled to discover that it was still in existence so just had to visit. It made me very sad to see how shabby and uncared for it is. It still has all the potential to be something amazing and magical for children and of great interest to adults too. I hope that whoever is now in charge of it will have a GOOD LOOK at how the exhibits now appear to others coming there for the first time and give it the overhaul and TLC which it needs and deserves. It really mustn't be allowed to fall any further into decay. The model village remains such a special memory of my childhood. I would love to see it refurbished and restored to the glory it once had.

2  Thank Pressiebiff
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I took my four children here and the entry price was reasonable.

It is a little dated but smaller children will still like following the little trains around and wandering around the different scenes.

There is a place to sit and have a picnic. So if you go take some nibbles to make it a little more worthwhile.

Aftrwards you can go up a little hill to a miniature castle where you children can play. There are some nice views and you can take some nice photos.

Next you can go down a tunnel that leads to a few more miniature features.

It is worth a look but its not typically exciting so make sure you have a few other things lined up for afterwards.

2  Thank KitCherflet
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This model village desperately needs painting, fixing up and being modernised! The water is green, the houses have cracks in the paint and the doll and fairground exhibits are a bit scary! Random pom-poms hanging around, but they were flat! So but pointless really! The castle area could be so much better, I was a bit worried about my daughter falling off the edge.
This place could be amazing! Then it would be worth the entry fee!
On a plus note, the cafe outside served lovely food!

1  Thank kellyandkk