“Fully stuffed - tasty food.”
Review of Spice Village

Spice Village
Ranked #529 of 762 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2018

This restaurant always delivers the goods when it comes to quality and tasty Indian food. This is one of my favourite Indian restaurants in the area - I visit about twice a year - and it never disappoints.

The owner has three restaurants - this one, another in North End (Portsmouth) and one in Emsworth. I have eaten in all three and they all suffer from long waits so I can sympathise with some of the other reviewers who have written about slow service. I believe this is due to all dishes being cooked from scratch - no bulk batches here. So long as you know this is going to be a dining/social experience rather than fast food you should be able to manage your expectations (particularly if you need to be somewhere). If you want a quick in and out then this is not the place for you.

We visited on a Friday evening - arriving around 6.20pm without a reservation. The restaurant was starting to fill and by the time we left at 7.40pm it was practically full. If you want to guarantee a table, particularly around 8pm I would recommend making a reservation.

On our visit the waiting staff were pleasant and attentive - we certainly had no cause to complain. It did take about 5 minutes to get the bill but this was at the height of the take away window so to be expected.

At less than £40 for 2 (drinks/poppadoms/mains with rice) I think this offers value for money. The food we ordered was very tasty and perfectly presented for my palette. I certainly wasn't hungry when I left.

I look forward to my next visit.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Booked early to hopefully miss the delays. When we arrived there was a lot of people waiting - this turned out to be take away, which appeared to take priority. Food excellent, waitresses do not have a clue, ours could not even understand rose wine, 2 waitresses later I finally managed to get a glass, but had to have a glass of water in between because that took 35 mins. Had to ask 4 times for the bill. Will not be returning. I honestly thought they would have sorted this out.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 30 September 2018

Having been to this restaurant several times,i would have thought they would have sorted out their (teething problems).Had booked a table for 7.30 we arrived just before,they had taken our drink order,and then we waited and waited and waited.40 minutes later we were served our drinks.Then the food was ordered,again we waited and waited and waited. 9.40 we were served our food. The service is diabolical!!! Will not be returning!!!

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

Shocking wait for food!!
Table booked for 7 and food wasn’t with us at 20:45!
Drinks took way too long to get to us.
Never going back there.

Reviewed 27 September 2018

Came here for an early dinner just after opening time. I am glad we came early as it did get very busy, especially with people coming in for take-aways and they seemed to be waiting a while. I have also since read the reviews that say how long people have waited for food.
Luckily we did not have to wait that long and what we had was delicious.
The poppadoms are lovely and fresh but I think they are too expensive.
The staff members are nice but you can see they are very busy so they definitely need to get some more staff, It did take a while for someone to take our main order and then we waited a while for the bill!
Go early to avoid the crowds!