“Colin”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Not enough staff waiter was rushed off of his feet waited 20 mins for a drink and asked 3 times for our order to be taken the food finally arrived 2 hours after we walked in one of the meals chicken tikka was dry it was inedible the rice order was wrong. There explanation was they were busy the front end of the restaurant resembled a doctors waiting room with people waiting for take away orders. Surly it would make sense to advise customers of long delays or stop taking take away orders. This is a good restaurant but standards are slipping.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited a couple of weeks ago to eat in, then got a takeaway tonight. Both times have been disappointing sadly. We enjoy the food, but there never seems to be enough staff to cope.

When we ate in we had a long wait for food, the order was wrong when it came, and getting more drinks took forever.

Tonight we called at 1845 to order takeaway and were advised 40 mins to collect. Husband went down to collect but it took 1 hr 10 mins. Spent half an hour waiting and observed the chaos. Simply not enough staff to meet demand.

I’m afraid Spice Village has now lost our custom. Pity, because we enjoy the food.

Service letting it down.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 1 November 2018 via mobile

Had a meal here for the first time in a few years only stoped going because of poor service .
Well it's still the same food is great but the service is still really poor obviously the owner couldn't care less about his staff poor performance.
It's a real shame as the food is so good

Reviewed 21 October 2018

This restaurant always delivers the goods when it comes to quality and tasty Indian food. This is one of my favourite Indian restaurants in the area - I visit about twice a year - and it never disappoints.

The owner has three restaurants - this one, another in North End (Portsmouth) and one in Emsworth. I have eaten in all three and they all suffer from long waits so I can sympathise with some of the other reviewers who have written about slow service. I believe this is due to all dishes being cooked from scratch - no bulk batches here. So long as you know this is going to be a dining/social experience rather than fast food you should be able to manage your expectations (particularly if you need to be somewhere). If you want a quick in and out then this is not the place for you.

We visited on a Friday evening - arriving around 6.20pm without a reservation. The restaurant was starting to fill and by the time we left at 7.40pm it was practically full. If you want to guarantee a table, particularly around 8pm I would recommend making a reservation.

On our visit the waiting staff were pleasant and attentive - we certainly had no cause to complain. It did take about 5 minutes to get the bill but this was at the height of the take away window so to be expected.

At less than £40 for 2 (drinks/poppadoms/mains with rice) I think this offers value for money. The food we ordered was very tasty and perfectly presented for my palette. I certainly wasn't hungry when I left.

I look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Booked early to hopefully miss the delays. When we arrived there was a lot of people waiting - this turned out to be take away, which appeared to take priority. Food excellent, waitresses do not have a clue, ours could not even understand rose wine, 2 waitresses later I finally managed to get a glass, but had to have a glass of water in between because that took 35 mins. Had to ask 4 times for the bill. Will not be returning. I honestly thought they would have sorted this out.