“Amelie meets Alice in Wonderland”

Like a Tea Tray in the Sky
Ranked #13 of 29 Coffee & Tea in Portsmouth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Italy
“Amelie meets Alice in Wonderland”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

That's the impression you get when you walk into this retro café. I loved the decor, china tea cups, real tea leaves and array of delicious looking cakes, prettily decorated. I've been here a couple of times and enjoyed the laid-back, almost Parisien atmosphere, to say nothing of the delicious cakes. I noticed a few complaints about a male member of staff and i can imagine that, on a bad day, he could be a "problem" - I reckon I was lucky and caught him on a good day both times!

1 Thank rivolese

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“A scrumptious afternoon tea”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I went to Like a Tea Tray in the Sky at 3pm one afternoon with two colleagues. The lunch menu has usually finished by then, but one of my colleagues asked if she could have a ham sandwich with a side salad and they kindly agreed. My other colleague and I had the coffee and walnut cake and enjoyed it very much. We sat and chatted over our coffee and tea, and when we were thinking it was time to go, we were asked how hungry we were. It turned out that there had been a cancellation for afternoon tea, so the tea was going spare and it was offered to us. It was too good an offer to refuse, and we ordered another drink each to go with the tea. Out it came; there were ham, cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches on white and wholemeal bread, little scones with a pot of jam and cream, and three cupcakes, along with flowers, strawberries and blackberries as a garnish. My colleague who had had the ham sandwich could only manage a scone, but she took some sandwiches and a cupcake home for later. The other two of us did our best with the sandwiches but couldn't quite finish them, and we each took a scone home. This really was a generous gesture that we appreciated very much; we've always found the Tea Tray to be a welcoming, friendly place, and this particular visit more than confirmed our feelings. I'm sure we will be back soon.

1 Thank Elizabeth A
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Proper tea, served in proper pots, drunk from proper china cups”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

"Like a Tea-Tray in the Sky" is a wonderfully welcoming little cafe along Osborne Road. Situated on the main road, it's surprisingly peaceful (sat outside) and surprisingly deep (the building goes back quite a way).

The décor is quaint 'old tea shop', possibly rescued from charity shops but done so with an eye from someone who knows what goes well with what.

The staff are very friendly and approachable ... but with the added importance of not being overly in your face (sometimes you need to eat in peace without someone coming up to you every 5 minutes asking 'IS EVERYTHING OK????' - and the staff here don't bother you like this).

There's a wide range of tea - real tea leaves - served in proper china tea-pots (which are filled full, no metallic 'half a pot' here) drunk from a proper china tea cup, with saucer, and served on your table as if you were as an important customer as you would be at the Ritz.

I've eaten two meals so far: 1) the ham and cheese quiche served with beetroot and greens (lovely). 2) (on the day when they'd stopped serving hot meals by 4pm) I tried a slice of Bakewell (very nice).

Being able to poor three cups of tea from the proper china pot into my proper china tea cup was just wonderfully refreshing.

In a world where there's a tax-avoiding coffee place on every corner, you must try Like a Tea Tray in the Sky for a peaceful reminisce - and a great lunch.

1 Thank HedgieUK
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“From French onion soup to Earl Grey tealoaf”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I've been here several times now and love the homemade French onion soup and the tealoaf, brownies and cakes. Friends have sung the praises of the quiche and sandwiches too. We have always been made to feel welcome and have never been rushed. The place has a great retro feel, and there is plenty of space between most of the tables. It's close to the shopping centre and the common, and is ideal for a light lunch or afternoon tea.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Elizabeth A
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“The owner is extremely rude”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We went into the Cafe today it was supposed to be a treat for my father, when we arrived we headed to the back to sit on the sofa as my Father has a bad back and needs a soft seat, the young lady who greeted us was very pleasent and said she would bring us a table which she failed to do. The next encounter was with the most arrogant obnoxious man, when I explained that somebody was going to bring us a table over he sneered and pointed to a small coffe table nearby and said "theres a table there madam". Well i always believe in treating people as they treat me and remarked , "was I supposed to bring it over myself"? Anyway he got the hump because we were not ready that minute to order as my husband had only just arrived and he left us there fo a good while. When he had had his sulk he came back and when we tried to order some food i. e. soup/ sandwich he looked at us as if we were something on his shoe and said there was not enough food for us and all the food they had would proberly be needed by the tables over there as they had booked. So we left but my husband was not happy that they left us for so long with a lunch menu and not bothered to say that only cakes were availble so he went back in to complain, He told them he was not happy with the way we had been treated to which the rude waiter, who then told us he was the owner accused me of verbally abusing him. I may have been a little curt towards him following his attitude to me after i had made a perfectly polite request for a table to be brought over but my interpretation of verbal abuse is to swear and curse of which i did neither. My husband saw red at this and told him what a rude and arrogant person he was and imformed him that we would never go there again and would be telling all our friends to avoid this place like the plague
Its a real shame because we have been here several times before and the young chap that had served us before was the most charming and helpful man you could wish to meet. If this cafe wants to suceed the wife of the owner should try and keep this man from ever serving people again, his manner is flippent and rude and i don't think i have ever experienced such behaviour before in any tea rooms i have visited before.
Well it worked out ok we went to 'Snookies' up the road and my father had the most enjoyable Garlic mushrooms on garlic bread freshly cooked to order and served with a great big welcome. This establishment has been there for years and holds fabulous memories for all of us, the 'Tea Tray' could learn a thing or two from 'Snookies' mainly how to be friendly towards your customers.

• Visited March 2013