“Orange 241”
Review of Vue Cinema

Vue Cinema
Ranked #7 of 27 Fun & Games in Portsmouth
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Great value on orange 241 still can't believe what they charge for food and drink aka £2.50 for a bottle water.

There are newer reviews for Vue Cinema

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have been to this cinema a few times and it is the most comfortable cinema in the area. I think this is probably the most important thing to tell people, after all if your sat for 3 hours watching a film you have to be comfortable. There is plenty of leg room and the seats are large enough that you are not sitting on the lap of the person next to you. If you didn’t like the film blame the film makers not the cinema you are watching it in.

It is also the most expensive cinema in the area by a long way. You get way you pay for & I come here to enjoy a film without being cramped or fidgeting in an uncomfortable seat. I don’t like having the person next to me nudge or knock me every time they move, so the large seats here are great.

I cant comment on the cost of the food & drinks as I came here to watch a film & don’t pay inflated prices for snacks. If people feel the food is to expensive, eat either before or after you view your film and likewise for the drinks. If people stop paying high prices for these goods they will stop selling them at inflated prices.

1  Thank AlanMorris
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Really good cinema experience. Thoroughly enjoyed watching Frozen with family and friends.

Sadly, I'm writing this to warn people of what can only be described as extortionate food and drink prices. I bought seven items and it cost £29.15!

2 x Regular nachos - £5.05 each
2 x Regular popcorn - £5.05 each
1 x Reg Coke - £3.50
1 x Bottle Dr Pepper - £2.15
1 x Tango Ice Blast… Wait for it… £8.35!

Will never buy food from here again. Will take my own if needed. Apparently Vue policy does allow you to take your own food and drink into the cinema as long as not hot/smelly/alcoholic.

You have been warned!

6  Thank YellowDubDude
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Rather pricey tickets, overpriced popcorn, 40 minutes of adverts before the film. It's a cinema like every other.

The screens are all decent-sized (only a few 'small' ones as far as I can tell, with screen 1 being likely the biggest, as usual), the seats are comfortable, the premium seats really only seem to be better if you're fat as they're no more comfy and just wider in my opinion.

Annoyingly you can't lift the armrests like you can at Odeon so you can't cuddle your significant other without incorporating the armrest into your cuddle, but that's pretty standard.
Also the aisle runs up the centre of the seating area which is pretty stupid when you think about it, as the best seats would be in the middle. Odeon are smarter and have two side aisles but whatever.

My one complaint of this cinema alone is that, even though I'm a 21-year-old student, I honestly think the sound is too loud. You get used to it though.

Tips:
- Get Orange Wednesdays codes (and go on a Wednesday...),
- You can buy tickets where they sell drinks and popcorn etc. There's usually less of a queue there
- Don't buy premium seats. Not worth it

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The manager at this cinema turned my mother and 15 year old daughter and 15 year old friend away from a 15 certificate film. They would not accept my mother's assurance that both girls were 15 and demanded to see passports as evidence. Clearly this is not acceptable as many 15 yr olds do not have passports and it is quite discriminating against those who cannot afford one. Adding insult to injury, the manager did not care at all that my mother was distressed and tired . My mum told them she had driven 25 miles and had paid to park at Gunwharf Quays but they were not concerned in the slightest. The management at Vue Cinema treated my mum with contempt, intimating by their behaviour that she was a liar - I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE TO AVOID THIS CINEMA. THEY BEHAVED DISGRACEFULLY.

13  Thank EmmaGK