“Great casual place to eat”
Review of Roosters Piri Piri

Roosters Piri Piri
Ranked #313 of 651 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Near Portsmouth
“Great casual place to eat”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Went here for a meal before the cinema. No problem getting a table, it's a casual set up. We were shown to our table and a drinks order taken and then went up to order. Menu is straightforward with good choice - lots of chicken with different sauces, lamb kebabs, burgers. All cooked fresh and not fried (except the chips) which is nice. Price wise is good about £3-6 pounds and then add £3.50 for a side and drink if you want to or you can order all items separately as well. The whole chicken and the steak is more. Very quick service which was good and the food was great - top end fast food style - much nice than Nando's with much more variety. Good portion sizes.

St Margaret's Bay, United Kingdom
“Good food!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Varied choices of food from wraps to burgers with a choice of spices from hot to mild. Good value for money. Staff friendly and polite. Good location in Gun Wharf Quay.

Stockbridge, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I'm in Gunwharf Quays with the family. It's a busy Sunday before Christmas and I'm resigned to being crammed into a fast food joint, jostled around as I make my may to the till, thrown some substandard offerings by the grumpy and overstretched workforce and while I try to eat my food, forced to listen to a hubbub that will eventually repel me from the establishment, hungry and less than sated.

I'm now standing at the foot of the Spinnaker Tower, tempted by Rooster's Piri Piri offer of "Kids eat Free". I am gazing in through the window while my youngest throws a tantrum that is designed to encourage me into "Burger King" next door. I am standing firm. A short walk along the harbour side to cool the temper sees us back outside Roosters and contemplating the menu. Through the window we see sparse decoration throughout the restaurant, which gives it an empty but clean look. At this point I'm doubting my previously steadfast attitude, but for the sake of parental authority, we wander in.

We're immediately met by a smile and offered a seat near the window. It's pretty empty in here, and I'm now feeling like an intrepid adventurer who has dared wander from the beaten track. Surely we're off the beaten track because this place isn't that good? Maybe the rent is less in this corner of the Quays? My wife and children look at me expectantly, as they hold their menus loosely in their hands.

"Hey, Kids! This looks just like Nando's!". I'm trying to drum up enthusiasm here, with another impending tantrum brewing on the other side of the table. Indeed the menu does look like Nando's, but the prices are a fraction of theirs, and my stomach is now in a knot borne from impending failure. I'm now putting the sum together. Sparse decoration, cheap prices and off the beaten track. I feel this one is going to be put down to experience.

We've now put together our order and taken it up to the till. The chap driving the show is friendly and very polite. I do catch a sideways look as he checks that my children do indeed appear to be under 12 and I do inwardly agree that although true, it's a borderline case.

"That's fine" he says and continues in his amenable manner.

The whole meal, for 2 adults and 2 non-paying children comes to under £20. I'm quite taken aback at the relatively low price, but once again feel the surge of panic well up within me as I foresee the small portions that will probably arrive. Even more chilling was the waiters shout "Large double burger please" to the cooks behind him. The portions are going to be small, and they've not even started cooking them. Small portions and a long wait hover over me like the sword of Damoclese.

I've now been sitting back at my table for less than 2 minutes. The family have hardly had a chance to reach for their pockets and pull out their phones to communicate with friends at a distance, rather than the people sitting just feet way.

"Who's was the large burger?" says a friendly waitress. I'm about to let her know that she's got the wrong table, and that we've only just ordered, but her eager to please expression and the mountains of food in her hands make me pause and consider further. "Yes, that's me" I mumble.

Within moments, the table is awash with food. Served on flat platters, the food looks fresh, warm and inviting. The bowls full of fries that have arrived look positively fit for a banquet. I gaze around the table to see other looks of delight. Suddenly the threat of a tantrum has vanished, to be replaced by bulging and expectant eyes. Yes, children - eat with your eyes first, then Go for it!!

The burger ahead of me is going to take quite some conquering, but it's very very tasty. The selection of sauces at our table fit to appease most diners. The meals around me look just as tasty, and are now being devoured at pace.

"Eat your heart out, Burger King!" is all I can think, as I mull over the price to taste ratio. This meal is going well. A quick survey of the family reveal equally delightful reactions and thoughts.

It's not often that you want to linger in a fast food joint. It's not often that clinical surrounds can comfort, and a busy Sunday is not when you can best expect good service. Roosters Piri Piri does however buck these trends. A family of 4 all pleased at the same time, and happy that they came here.

It's not often that I hold onto discount offers from anywhere, since it's not that often that I ever go back to use them, and even less often that I am willing to spend more just to save a bit less. However, Roosters Piri Piri may just have done enough to get me back next time...

2 Thank reckett
Mablethorpe, United Kingdom
“pretty spicy”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

roosters is situated right by the spinnaker tower on gun wharf quays,not really a restaurant its more modern i would think aimed at the younger generation,sat in a booth,the staff were excellent and very helpful as this was a first time visit for us to this type of establishment,had the mixed platter ,four chicken quarters,6 chicken wings,2 satays of your choice and two sides of your choice we had chips and coleslaw as ye wife does not like spicy they gave us the sauce separately,i have to say there was a lot of chicken and it took a bit of getting through but enjoyable,only soft drinks availiable totalcost just over£20 pretty good value.

• Visited November 2013
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
“Good alternative to Nando’s”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

First impressions of this restaurant are of a cheap & cheerful fast food joint. Very clean, quite minimal, very simple and honest in décor. Order at the till, but otherwise service was efficient and friendly.

The menu looks more varied and cheaper than Nando’s, but beware - the prices in the Roosters menu do not include any sides, which will take the price close to Nando’s.

My half chicken was very moist & succulent - they steam the meat and finish it on the char-grill to give it the barbequed flavour. The marinade was spicy enough and overall I enjoyed the chicken. My side of “Roosters rice” was nicely cooked and had a lovely flavour. However, the sides were quite small (in common with Nando’s).

Overall, I really liked Roosters. It’s quicker and cheaper than Nando’s, but the food is still of a good quality. It’s not gourmet dining, but I’d certainly pop in again for a quick chicken dinner.

• Visited October 2013