“Disappointing”
Review of Sailmakers Loft

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portsmouth
Sailmakers Loft
Ranked #23 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Bristol
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Booked a nights stay for my wife's birthday and didn't fancy a normal hotel chain.
Location is brilliant and parking not a problem as the owner provides a free permit.

We were given the middle floor room at the front, with some sea views. But the bed seemed old and soft with worn out bedding. Although the sheets had clearly been laundered they didn't fresh and new feeling like in many hotels. The carpet was in need of hoovering with much dust and fluff around the edges.

The very small bathroom had a pathetic dribble of a shower with lots of mould behind the door that is only evident once you are in the shower and close the door, perhaps why the cleaner has missed it.

However, we sneaked a look at the top floor room before the other guests arrived and it was completely different. It was bigger, and had MUCH better views, looked modern, bright, and quite pleasant. I would give this place one more try if I was guaranteed the top floor with its own balcony.

All rooms must suffer from noise from boats which pass with almost monotonous regularity during the night, just feet from the building. Impressive when you first see a big ferry tower over you as it sails but tedious when they rumble past at 4am!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PBRSG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Durham
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Cramped room..have heard that loft room is good however did not stay in that one.
Did not have ensuite or staff in residence.
Breakfast very good.
Great location for all Portsmouth attractions.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DurhamEvvo
Guernsey
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Stayed at this guest house for one night and we're glad. The room was filthy. I don't believe the room had been cleaned in a considerable period of time. The bed lined was clean, although tatty. The dresser and window cills were covered in dust and the previous guests dirt. The toilet pan was fithy, this hadn't seen a toilet brush. The tap still had the previous guests tooth paste stuck to the spout. The shower, well, it is a small square type with a bi-folding door, for this to be cleaned, you need to get inside it. The glass was fithy, full of scum, you couldn't see out the clear glass. When I pulled the door shut, it was black with mould. Again I wouldn't like to guess when this was last cleaned. In the morning we went down for breakfast. Bobby joined us, having cooked our breakfast in his bare feet, who then proceed to place with his feet whilst he sat and talked with us, whilst we ate our breakfast. When I returned to pay our account, the kitchen door was open. I'm glad I didn't see this before eating. The place was disgusting, the work tops were crammed with everything you could think of, that shouldn't be in the kitchen.
For location it was great, but cleaniness, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PrimaGuernsey
Dunedin
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Bobby is a good host and being local can tell help you with most things. Many eating places nearby. Spice Island is a great location if you like the sea and shipping and a bit of history combined. Within walking distance (15 minitues) of all the main attractions in Portsmouth. A most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Northamptonshire
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Our host entertained us well at breakfast with interesting conversation and met our needs for a filling breakfast. Unfortunately, in our room the curtains, blinds and windows needed cleaning. The B&B is located approx 20 minutes walking distance from Gunwharf Quay, following the 'chain link' of paving stones along the ground. Views of the Spinnaker Tower (worth a visit), across the harbour to Gosport and the open sea, and despite the rain a view of the Isle of Wight. Would recommend the Historical Dockyard as an all-day visit. We paid £18 each to visit all the on-site attractions, there are also a number of free museums on site. Visit the City Museum, free and interesting but worth a donation. For a choice of restaurants for the evenings, take a short journey down the road to Southsea.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PJNorthamptonshire
Saltash, Cornwall
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I stayed for three weeks, out-of season, in a single room whilst attending a course in Portsmouth. It served its purpose for this though it wasn't the most comfortable of rooms. The room was very small, had a small bed (with plastic mattress cover - euugh!) and a duvet aimed at small children. Fortunately I was travelling with my own sleeping bag (and towel - old habits die hard) so I didn't trouble the owner for a replacement, which was probably just as well because the owner would have complied but I suspected it would have been grudging compliance - customer service is not high on the list of his priorities.

Breakfasts were adequate but lacking in variety. Once I had established my preferences on day one that's what I got for the next three weeks. Again, I could have said something but, quite frankly, life is too short; I wasn't starving and I didn't want to give this chap any more reason to sink into his own morose.

It was cheap, warm and dry, and it was well-situated with some great restaurants and pubs nearby and a continually-changing maritime view. It is for these reasons that I recommend it; those and as a study into how to take a perfectly good B&B and slowly drive it into the ground through poor customer service and an arrogant belief that all one needs to make money in the hotel and catering business is a good location - still it was a lot better than staying in a monolithic corporate hutch in Southsea.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Dave G
Toronto
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Fantastic location right on the water, located right beside two pubs and easy walking distance to the main sight seeing attractions.

Overall, the B&B is average. The cleanliness and upkeep of the rooms was questionable and the food was average at best. The bed was worn out and uncomfortable.

Go for the location, not a traditional B&B atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple