“Fantastic stay yet again”

Premier Inn Portsmouth Port Solent Hotel
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
“Fantastic stay yet again”
Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

I've just returned after spending five nights at this hotel. I visit Portsmouth quite often throughout the year and being thrifty and in a double dip recession I always look for the best deal available. I used to stay at this hotel every time I was in Pompey but since December of 2011 whenever I've been down the price has been extortionate. Fortunately this time I booked early enough to get the premier saver rates some at £29 & others at £39. Even with breakfast it equated to £44 a night with full unlimited breakfast.

After a long drive down from Lancashire we arrived at the hotel and the receptionist was "brilliant" I wish I could remember his name because he went the extra mile for everyone, I must express has does the other members of staff but he attended to us. Check in was a breeze and were in our room in minutes. Both rooms were on the ground floor next to each other so that was an advantage. The rooms a great loads of space. Wardrobe is none existent but you've got shelving and a rail so that was fine. The bed was lovely and comfortable, loads of spare pillows. The shower room is perfect, again loads of space the shower is really hot whenever I've used it.

Unfortunately the weather was terrible so didn't get to see much of the area that I usually visit but being on a break and chill-out this wasn't a big problem. My friend and I spent quite some time seated in the foyer chatting, drinking coffee and watching the world go by. One thing that was apparent about the staff was there attitude to detail. Everywhere was spotless and clean. From the bedrooms, hallways, foyer and restaurant everywhere was clean.

The food is always of exceptional quality, breakfast was always hot and plentiful. The choice and variety is unbelievable, there's something for everyone. The hot drinks machine was my favourite though. Unlimited Costa Coffee, I was in heaven. We originally hadn't booked for the meal deal but decided to upgrade when we where there. I spoke to reception and asked was this possible. They said yes and for an extra £15 we had a three course meal with a drink. The choice was great, the prawn cocktail is amazing. In total I would say this is probably the best large chain budget hotel I've stayed in. Probably due to the staff that work there. I will defiantly be returning more often. For the extra few pounds this hotel may cost its well worth paying. The extra service you receive is easily worth paying a little more for.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Markdl1969

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Oxon
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Booked a family for one night to come and visit the Historic Dockyards.
The room was £39 for four of us, plus £16.50 for two breakfasts (the two children ate free). At that sort of value, you can't complain!
Staff were very efficient and pleasant. Room was spacious, clean and modern. Usual Premier Inn standard. Breakfast was buffet style - lots of it, good choice and pleasant enough.
Only complaint would be that we got there late and went straight to bed, not aware until the morning that the room thermostat had been left ridiculously high! We all woke up boiling hot and when we opened the window, the noise of the busy road did keep you awake.
Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, otherwise it is noisy at night.
Good location for easy access to all Portsmouth's attractions at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: As for a room on the car park side away from the busy main road.
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Check in was fast and efficient and the staff member was very helpful and went that extra mile which was appreciated. The room was adequate, standard Premier Inn stuff, nothing too fancy but clean and tidy.

We collected a take away pizza from the bar / restaurant and returned to our room. After eating two slices my partner lifted the next slice out of the box and to our horror a live earwig was now running around inside the box.

Naturally, I returned the unfinished pizza and was given a cash refund and apology by the food and beverage manager. I mentioned the incident again when checking out the following morning and was surrpised not be offered a refund based on the famous Premier Inn good night guarantee. Maybe it's just a great nights sleep that's guaranteed and insects in your food does not affect that?

Once home I used their website contact page to complain and ask about the refund issue but 48hrs later and I haven't heard a thing by email or phone.

Room Tip: The car park side is quieter, busy dual carriage way the other side.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Portsmouth Port Solent Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Customer Services and the Management Team at this hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Naina
Social Media Team,

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.
Penarth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Port Solent Premier Inn for 1 night. Central location to Portsmouth. Room very clean and comfy.
Staff plesant and attentive.
Breakfast expensive though but local restaurants can provide meals. Tesco down the road for any provisions..
Good clean hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was very cynical about Premier Inn, but I was so very pleasantly surprised.
The staff were utterly delightful. My first time and will certainly be back.
Had a good night's sleep. Great breakfast-chose the continental one and had a good selection of cereals and breads, including crumpets and croissants. The teas are all Twinnings and there is also soya milk, which I need as I'm a vegan.

Room Tip: Call a couple of days before and request one.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Beautifully clean and spacious room with a large comfortable bed. We stayed for two nights from 2nd November 2012. Apart from the breakfasts, we also had an evening meal on one of the nights. The food was delicious and service was first class. The reception and bar staff were nice and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Better views from the higher floors
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Really great Premier Inn, excellent staff I would have to say. Special thanks to Hazel and Kristen from the restaurant staff who helped my son with food allergies enjoy his stay too. They were able to provide great information with regards to what he could have from the menu and what to avoid. Often this level of service is over looked and left to the individual to cross their fingers and hope they won't have an allergic reaction. The staff as a whole were excellent and really friendly and helpful for the 2 nights we stayed whilst visiting the historic dockyard.
Would definitely recommend.