“Surprisingly good”

Premier Inn Southsea Hotel
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Stayed with my 18 year old son on a visit to Portsmouth Uni. I was pleasantly surprised about the standard and cleanliness of the room. Bed very comfortable and the room quiet. I was a little worried when I read other reviews and realised how near to the funfair on the pier we were. As it was October this was fortunately not a problem. The staff were very helpful and leant me a phone charger which was a great help. Breakfast great too!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Clean and tidy rooms - friendly and helpful staff - what more could you want?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Stayed Friday and Saturday night and thoroughly recommend the Premier Inn, Southsea. All members of staff were helpful and friendly, the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, very comfortable and all fixtures and fittings were very good quality. Choise of breakfast was excellent and the staff in the restaurant were also extremely helpful. All in all it was our first experience of a Premier Inn and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Stayed for business, so chose the hotel for its location in the main. I missed the entrance to the carpark at first, which might benefit from an extra sign, but it was the hottest day of the year and the pier area was packed with sunseekers so I was a little hot under the collar by then! I parked up nearby in the massive public carpark next door,and asked at reception- where I was welcomed by the helpful Nicky who remained really helpful throughout my stay.I really wanted a sea view which she was able to find for me. The hotel is not the most restful of premier inns- it is right next to the fun park so don't expect complete peace.It probably feels more old-fashioned than it is because of its setting. It feels as if it could once have been an old-fashioned cafe, taken over and converted while its neighbours of amusements and candyfloss went unchanged. The sea view was more interesting than picturesque. From the second floor, you have good views of all the ferries as they pass up and down the solent, brightly illuminated at night. The rides finished about 9 and the amusement arcade a little later-neither disrupted sleep. The windows have those ever-present and totally annoying opening limiters, which I hate as I need windows open all the time and the small fan did not help the room temperature very much. Two teabags per room seemed a bit mean. The restaurant was busy and the evening meal took over 30 mins to be served and the inclusive garlic bread was missing- 1 main course and a cold pudding to be taken up on a tray to my room should not really take that long. Breakfast was really nice.
Nicky helped me make arrangements for getting to an appointment and was again helpful and personable in all she did. I would stay again if I was looking for a base, rather than to relax in the room itself.

Room Tip: Go for the 2nd floor if you want any view at all. Maybe 32, 34 or 36 (my room)
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sallyp8
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Stayed here on business recently with Mrs Doc in tow. Pretty much Premier Inn brand standard however the advertised 'sea view' was a little tenuous. The sea was visible......provided you stood on the furniture and didn't mind peering through the roller-coaster tracks of the (thankfully) closed for the season amusement park. A great setting if you fancy a Scooby Doo themed weekend. I can only imagine the racket during a busy summer season. The room was what you would expect, though the long black hair my wife found between her toes after a trip to the bathroom was a little off-putting. Most off-putting however, was the price we were quoted when enquiring about a third nights stay. We were quoted £97 for a Thursday night! Suffice to say we looked elsewhere and found a very pleasant room in a close by hotel complete with balcony, four-poster, huge bathroom and a view of the actual sea. We paid £1 more than quoted by Premier in and this included breakfast. I can only assume a little sunshine this week was responsible for the ludicrous price rise. What a shame....first time disappointment with this trusted and well used brand

Room Tip: Hotel is adjacent to an amusement park. Shop around for a better deal in a better rated hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2011

as with all premier inns we have stayed in the one at southsea is of the same high standard,friendly helpful staff,excellant sized rooms with no cluter, basic but modern and perfect,the car park is ample and the dining facilities next to the hotel are good with friendly staff the only negative to the rooms is no sky sports!but then if this was provided the cost of staying would probably go up and the rates are sometimes very affordable especially for us pensioners!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed over on a Sunday night after moving my son to Uni. We were given an extremely warm welcome by the friendly lady on reception, who checked us in quickly and efficiently. The Premier Inn is located right next to the Solent, and there are some lovely views across to the Isle of Wight from the restaurant. It's 5 minutes from the Hovercraft terminal and it is only about a mile and a half to the Spinaker Tower and surrounding Port area with it's many restaurants and bars, we enjoyed a leisurely walk there on Monday (we were able to leave our car parked in the Premier Inn Car Park as the weren't very busy)
The room was clean and well presented with everything you need for your stay.
The restaurant attached to the hotel was very nice, friendly staff and good "pub grub"
We would stay again.