“refreshingly excellent”

Premier Inn Southsea Hotel
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 26 July 2014

having read reviews of the outside of the hotel and the funfair right next door we were prepared, but once inside everything is lovely. We were greeted by the friendly, smiling Leanne who checked us in very quickly and efficiently. She was so helpful and cheerful it made us feel very welcome. Our room was on the third( top) floor which wasnt a problem with a speedy lift. We has room 33 which was a family room .On a very hot day it was wonderful to walk into a fully air-conditioned room and it stayed very comfortable for our whole stay. We have stayed in alot of hotels but this room has to be the cleanest we have ever stayed in. I groaned when i saw the shower curtain but there wasnt a mark on it, it looked brand new and didnt stick to you when showering. Everything, the bedding, the towels, the carpets were absolutely immaculate. We ate in the attached restaurant for breakfast and dinner. It was very nice, lots to choose from and good value. The staff were very friendly here too. We would especially like to mention all the staff we came across on our visit, they were all so friendly and helpful and big asset to the hotel. They made a very nice premier inn into an excellent one!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Claire H

Reviewed 23 July 2014

this is mine and my husbands second visit and it was lovely, the staff was friendly and smartly dressed
there was always something at reception when we needed help
the room was nice and cool and very clean
defo coming again next year best place to be

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Not sure how long Premier Inn have had this site, but it is in serious need of refurbishment. It looks like it might have been a Travel Lodge at some point. As for Lenny's comfy bed endorsement, the beds at the Premier Inn at Southsea, were the most uncomfortable I've stayed in, and I stay at Premier throughout the UK. We also had a hot water problem, and not being able to open the windows as seized up. The exterior is dreadful, and looks almost derelict.
It's location is ideal, being directly on the seafront, with a short walk into historic Portsmouth. But in future, I will not be staying at this specific Premier Inn in Southsea. Finally the adjacent public car park at night is busy with the local dogging fraternity, so not for those who are shocked easily. Fortunately the local Police regularly drive through and move them on.

Room Tip: Book into the Portsmouth City Centre rather than be disappointed.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Southsea Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very helpful, friendly staff. Room was comfortable and clean. Visited in a heatwave and the room was rather hot. A fan was provided which helped. Air conditioning is being fitted to the hotel shortly which would have helped.It is not like we get that many heatwaves in this country though! Car park facilities a bit limited. There is a pay and display car park nearby but its pretty expensive. There is also parking in nearby roads,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We chose to stay at the Premier Inn Southsea because we had to take an early ferry to Normandy. We couldn't have picked a better place: extra comfortable beds gave us a fabulous night of sleep and we had a lovely stroll along the beach before and after dinner. There are a few restaurant options along the sea, none of which is particularly fancy, but the one we chose had a nice terrace overlooking the water. While the pier there at Portsmouth is not the most exciting place to be in the summer (the place is dead after sunset), the Southsea Premier Inn is an excellent hotel for one night, with the ferry terminal a 5mn drive away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank heiranig
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here for one night as I had a meeting in Ryde the next day and decided to try out the hovercraft. The location of the Premier Inn could not be better for the hovercraft. I think I was the only person there on work as the area is certainly built for summer holidays and to have a few days in Southsea the location of the Premier Inn is perfect - it is right on the coast. My room overlooked the theme park and pier.

The pub was great for an evening meal and breakfast was good in the morning. My only gripe is parking. When I arrived the car park was full so I did need to pay for parking on the street as I needed to leave my car there the next day whilst I went to Ryde.

Next time I visit Ryde I'll do the same as it really helped not having to take the car to the IOW.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank snKits
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Inn looks a little dated and shabby from the outside and there is not much in the way of amenities close by. Noisy at times from other guests and the ten pin bowling can be heard from some of the rooms.
However, my two nights stay was improved with the pleasant and helpful staff that work at the reception and in the restaurant. Always eagre to try and make my stay that much better. Thank you

Room Tip: Sea facing is possible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business