“Great hotel!”

Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Munich, Germany
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 12 September 2010

We have chosen this hotel because of its ideal location before travelling to the Isle of Wight.
The hotel is situated on the seafront just a few steps from Southsea Hoverport- very convenient if you plan to travel to the IOW by Hovercraft. Other attractions such as the famous Spinnacker Tower are also within walking distance. Clarence Pier is just next to the hotel. If you are sensitive to noise and go to bed early you should require a room not facing the funfair when booking the room (but as far as I remember it was quiet after 10:30 pm...).
The staff was very friendly during our stay.
We had a nice room with sea view, everything was clean. The bed was very comfy (I really wish all hotels had such comfortable beds like Premier Inn!!!).
The breakfast was delicious with a good choice of everything you need for a great start into a new day.

I would recommend this hotel and would book it again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wintersoul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Berkshire
Reviewed 28 August 2010

If you want Quiet do not stay in this hotel. Very limited sleep.
Stayed Friday 27th August 2010, over the Bank Holiday due to husband going Kite Surfing in Gosport. It was a great location for me and my 8 year old daughter whilst he was surfing. Great for Gun Wharf, 1/2 mile walk away. Spinaker, and Hovercraft/Ferry services to the Isle of Wight. Booked it over the telephone with Holly (I am sure that was her name), excellent service, went out of her way on the phone when taking my booking and when I checked in, also there was a chap on the desk also on Friday and when I checked out today on Saturday at 9am. Again excellent service, could not do enough for you. Brilliant staff. Thank you.
I would not stay at the hotel again, paid £88.00 but believed this was due to the weekend over bank holiday and school holidays. I would not normally pay this to stay at a Premier Inn and definitly not the one at Southsea again. If I got it at £29, I might stay here again but expected more for the money that I paid, for £29 I would have been happy with the hotel, apart from the noise.
The place is very tired, and really in need of a paint job. The rooms are stale, and I am sure my room had a whiff of smoke definitly in reception I could smell smoke. My daughter even said when we checked in she could smell 'fag' smoke.
For some reason guests staying here seem to be more noisy than at other Premiere Inns we have stayed at. I and my family did not have much sleep at all. I was staying in room 5, the people in the room above us were so loud, banging around until 1.45am, woke us all up. Thought that they had an elephant up there. There were people coming back to their rooms anytime from 11pm right through the night until 3am. I wish that they had had some consideration for people that were alseep or trying to sleep as my husband had to be up early on Saturday. Doors banging, people talking loud, kids crying, people walking to their rooms chatting not being quite at all. There was no sound proof at all within the hotel very poor indeed. This went on through out the night and then again it started again at 6am, kids crying, tvs on, kids screaming, people crashing doors. I know people make noise and especially when they have kids but this was very loud and no one cared about others in their rooms. I felt it was all for themselves and stuff anyone else. I did moan about the room above us to reception when I checked out and he said that he was going to speak to them. I hope that he did.
Very noisy extractor fan in the bathroom, drove me nuts. The bed was comfortable. The room could have been a bit cleaner, just tired and needs re-decorating. There were holes in the curtains as well. There was quite a few hairs and raisins on the floor when we arrived so had the feeling that maybe it had not been hoovered. We had a family room, double bed and a single sofa bed, it was a large room with lots of space for all three of us, it was not crammed at all. Very happy with the size of the room, even if I was staying longer then 1 night it would have been great space. Went this morning to have a coffee in the resturant before we left - no clean cups.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank BerkshireDolly
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Spent three nights at Southsea premier inn, located right on the beach near to all you need for a great break or as a stop over before heading on to your destination. Situated near to a fun fair and a busy road to the rear but although some traffic noise is inevitable its certainly not a problem. Needed a fan to keep cool at night which did not work but staff replaced it quickly for the following night so very efficient and no problems so first class thanks. There is underground parking for residents although this can get busy at peak times so is on a first come first served basis. I will certainly be using this hotel again in the future and thank Premier inn for a nice comfortable stay!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2010

It was my own fault I ended up in the Premier Inn as I did not book a room until very last minute. All the usual options were full due to events going on in the city. The room cost around £90 and was not good value at all. I am sure the usual £29 rates are available at other times, but not for me. The place is very tired, and really in need of a paint job. The rooms are stale, and I am sure my room had a whiff of smoke. The view was amazing though, I can give them that. Watching the ferries going to IoW was great at night. Bathroom needed a good clean, which should be the basic requirement. The location is superb in fairness.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Greggbb
Kent
Reviewed 4 May 2010

My family have stayed here a number of times, and have had a hit & miss experience. For some reason guests staying here seem to be more noisy than at other Premiere Inns we have stayed at which is probably down to the nightlife of the Portmouth area. However the staff have always been good, and we have found the Brewers Fayre next door to do adequate food. It's well placed for a number of things including the Spinaker, and Hovercraft/Ferry services to the Isle of Wight.

• Stayed May 2009
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Southsea Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2010
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased that you continue to return to our hotel, at Premier Inn we endeavour to deliver a high level of service in all our establishments. We do apologise if on occasions you have not been entirely satisfied with the service received please be assured we are constantly striving to improve standards and meet all our customers requirements. We are a busy site and are ideally located for either exploring Portsmouth or for a stop over prior to onward journeys. Thanks again for taking the time to pass your feedback to us it is much appreciated and very important to us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
UK
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The room was more than comfortable - although no shower cap, sewing kit or shoe shine. It was very clean, warm and comfortable - as was the bathroom.

However, the 'restaurant' (Brewer's Fayre) is best avoided. We decided against taking a cab to Gun Wharf and how we regret it. The waiter's/chef had now real concept of food intolerances, even common ones such as Coeliacs's Disease (wheat/gluten) to the extent that the kitchen staff sent the waiter out with a list of ingredients for each of the puddings. Both the steak and the chicken ordered for mains had the definite taste and appearance of being microwaved. I think the steak MAY have been sealed/seared before microwaving but the 'chef' had no concept of what a well-done steak looks like. The restaurant was a major let-down when compared to the carvery served in the Premier Inn in Birmingham. I can only hope that the breakfast is better.

Small hairdryers in rooms; irons and ironing boards upon request. Oh, and the window in Room 40 level 2 doesn't close properly, so avoid if you're a solo female traveller. Quite a bit of noise from the harbour/hovercraft travel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank NiftyNortherner
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Southsea Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2010
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that our hotel met your expectations, your comments regarding the window of the room you stayed in have been passed to the Management Team at our hotel to follow up. We are disappointed that you were not entirely satisfied with the food and service offered in our Brewers Fayre restaurant. All our restaurants hold an Allergy Data Sheet this information is also available on our Brewers Fayre website, our team members will always provide this information following any queries regarding ingredients this so that our diners can make an informed decision in line with their particular requirements. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, please be assured all you feedback will be duly followed up, we look forward to welcoming your back to Premier Inn in the future