“surprisingly good”

Florence House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Pleasantly surprised. The room was huge and decorated to a very good standard, the service was great, bed was a comfy 6ft with nice bedding, huge soft towels, in short all the things that make for a good stay when you're on business (unless you want a gym, which I don't!)

The breakfast was also very good and the room service (too small for a restaurant) was fine. My reason for giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that, being an older building, the soundproofing is pretty terrible and I spent much of the night listening to upstairs's conversation.

Room Tip: go upstairs to get a quieter room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank mikki_hache
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Florence House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you liked the hotel, service, room and food provision. I am sorry that you had an issue with noise, it is difficult to control other guest's conversation and activity but I am sorry this affected your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back for another enjoyable stay in a quieter room.

Kind regards

Ellie

Reviewed 11 November 2012

Me and my partner stayed here for one night due to watching a band at the pyramid. It was excellent location for what we needed. On arrival the service was very good, we got offered our bags to be carried to our room and the staff were very friendly. The rooms are very clean, a bit on the small side as the pictures on their website are very much photo edited, to make them appear something there not. After watching the band we lost our key unfortunately. The staff were very helpful and gave us a spare with no problems. On the morning of the next day we got served a continental breakfast in bed, complementary of our stay, which was very nice. However as we handed our keys in on our departure and apologies about losing the key, they tried to charge us £25 which I thought was absolutely outrageous as this would cost them £5 tops! So left on a very negative note!

• Stayed: November 2012
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Florence House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I feel the need to correct a few inaccurate points to ensure readers receive an accurate picutre of your stay.

Firstly all pictures are taken on a wide lens to ensure the full view of the room is shown with all features from the door as you enter to the wardrobe on the opposite side of the room.

Just as reception was due to close I understand the hotel was called and you had become separated from your boyfriend and had no key. We gave you the spare set and asked for both sets to be returned. On the morning you reported the key missing and we asked you to just double check all bags as we would be required to charge for these as stated on booking and on a notice by reception. You never returned to reception.

When a key is lost the front door lock has to be changed as anyone could pick up your key set access the hotel and then access a room a guest is staying in. Changing a front door lock and the lock of a room takes considerable time and also far more money than the £25 you note. The inconvenience of having to issue a new front door key to guests already staying and change all key sets is also time consuming and costly. The cost is far from "Absolutely outrageous."

When we came to the room to see if we could find the keys we found vomit on the carpet in the main room which required cleaning out and in the bathroom too. No damages to the carpet were charged despite this naturally taking more time and effort by our housekeeping team to clean prior to the next check in.

Thank you.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

My office manager gave me a choice; "Premier Inn or quirky boutique". I am always nervous about low price private hotels, but for various reasons took a chance. What a delight. Wonderfully polite and helpful staff, big (big) room, clean, tidy, free wi-fi, comfy bed. Couldn't have wished for better. This is a rival for hotels twice its size. Thoroughly recommended and if I need a hotel in Portsmouth again this will be first choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Florence House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Thank you for your review. We are pleased the hotel suited your needs as a business customer and we hope to welcome you back on another trip.

Ellie

Reviewed 6 November 2012

Writting this on the second night of our stay we have been given a room in one of the sister hotels the somerset room 6 generaly room is great for the two night stay nice bathroom with a roll top bath plenty of space in the bedroom area one comment to make though as this room is in the attic space the ceilings are sloped so please be careful perhaps hotel could warn guests about this as the wife has bumped head a couple of times. Had the comp breakfast which was usual continental fare there is cooked available on request at a charge. Plenty of tea n coffee in room bed is not a comfortable as i have slept in past hotels but the wife liked it one great bonus the bath sheets are very big great to find in a hotel room.
Would we stay again my answer would be yes but i would ask not to stay in room 6 in the somerset one more great thing is that this hotel does leave it's rooms open if they are vaccant for you to have a little nose around they have plenty of lovely rooms well worth the money £150 for two night stay inc breakfast i can see why this hotel are high in the list of hotels staff wise did not have a great amount of contact with them but the staff we met are most polite.
Keep up the good work hope to stay again someday

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Florence House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Thank you for your review, we are really pleased you enjoyed the stay although I'm sorry you found the ceiling a little low. The design of the Edwardian building is not always ideal for our taller guests!

Reviewed 28 October 2012

I had turned up at the local hostel and was unhappy with the grime and slime. Late at night I knocked on the door of this hotel, and I was welcomed in with open arms. There had been a last minute cancellation. I was offered a wonderful superior double with breakfast in the building across the road. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. The room was clean and the staff were so helpful. Breakfast was served across the road. Cooked breakfast was charged at £8.50 but the continental breakfast was inclusive. Food was hot and the breakfast service was good. I was given a parking permit for my stay. I was delighted to have found this place at short notice whilst travelling up overnight for the Great South Run. I will return.

Room Tip: Loved every minute of it here-will definately return.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Denise S

We are very pleased we were able to rescue you from the other property! Thank you for your kind words - we are very pleased you had a restful night before such an important event and found everything to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed at Florence House Hotel for two nights whilst in Portsmouth visiting family and doing some sight seeing. The staff were professional, friendly and helpful. We stayed in Room 6 and were impressed with the space in our room and the decore. The bathroom was lovely too. Our room was clean and comfortable and we were pleased to be able to open windows to allow fresh air in the room.

Breakfast was perfect for us but it was nice to have the option to have a cooked breakfast if we wanted one. The breakfast room was bright and airy and the staff were again very friendly and efficient. We had a couple of drinks at the small bar before going out for dinner on the first evening which was very pleasant.

The position of the hotel is great. We walked down to the sea front and then walked all the way to the historic harbour following the 'chain' pavement. It was a lovely walk through very interesting parts of Portsmouth and the Gunwharf and historic harbour areas.

We loved Florence House Hotel and would certainly stay again. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review - we are so pleased you enjoyed the stay with us and found all the staff very friendly and helpful. Room 6 is a popular room and we are pleased you found it suited you and was nice and spacious.

We hope to welcome you back on another occasion,

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I only stayed here for one night at the end of September - but loved the place.

Arrived quite late, just after 10pm and staff were still happy to make us a quick dinner with wine and show us to our rooms. I was in the attic room which was gorgeous. Huge bed, lounge area, lovely bathroom with roll top bath, the whole room was furnished really nicely.

Would defintely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, I'm glad we were able to prepare dinner for you when arriving late and you found the hotel suited your needs and was comfortable.

Best wishes