“Still excellent!”
Review of Florence House

Florence House
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Just had my third stay this year, and the Florence remains my favourite in Portsmouth. The staff are absolutely lovely, there is nothing that is too much trouble and the Hotel itself is excellent value for money - I have stayed in room, 1 & 7 and absolutely loved both of them! Everything you need is there, beds are really comfy, nice pillows, good linen and great big fluffy towels! Very clean and tidy. Breakfast is plentiful and they even remembered my favourite low calorie yogurt! I was also offered a 'packed' breakfast should I have wanted to leave very early on my day of departure. Yes, parking is challenging at times - find me a place in a city in UK that isn't!! So central for Southsea and perfect for anyone visiting the town. I very much look forward to staying there again next year on one of my many trips down.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank hampshirelillibet
Ellie H, Manager at Florence House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Hello again and thank you for your lovely review! It was, as always, great to see you again. We are pleased we were still able to provide your breakfast as you like it and that everything was still as good as when you stayed with us earlier in the year!

We look forward to seeing you again in 2013,

Best wishes from all of us.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Stayed here for one night. Room reasonably ok, fairly small with obvious signs of wear and tear.
I found the bed very hard although I do like firm beds, but this took it to the limits. The bathroom was freezing with no visible heating facility, and the loo paper was not the softest I have known; the sink was blocked and the blind broken. Also, because of the age of the place, I was woken up a few times throughout the night by creaking floorboards overhead.
The breakfast was sadly lacking compared to other hotels of this calibre. Fruit salad very crude, with huge chunks of apple and little else - not much available in the way of yogurts and muesli/granola, and the choice of teas was abysmal. I didn't have a cooked breakfast, as this was extra, and, judging by the effort put into their other breakfast presentations, I didn't feel that tempted.
We found the staff very pleasant and keen to please, and I liked the small sitting room by the reception area where you could sit with a drink and read the paper.
However, I can only give this three stars because, compared to other places I have stayed for the same price, the Florence doesn't quite make the grade.
Having not stayed in Portsmouth before, maybe this is as good as it gets, but I have to say I was a little disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased you found staff helpful and friendly and you liked the cosy seating area by reception where we like to chat to our guests.

I am naturally very disappointed to read some of your other comments and I’m sorry there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet your satisfaction. As you can imagine ensuring everyone's bed is to their liking is difficult but we use specialist orthopaedic mattresses to try and ensure everyone's comfort. We are sorry to read of so many maintenance issues in one room - this is most unusual and we are sorry to read of these only on tripadvisor rather than having them brought to our attention at the time so we could have gone some way to resolving this or even moving you to another room. With some maintenance issues it is only when a guest brings them to our attention that we can discover an issue.

What has surprised us is your comments about breakfast. We pride ourselves on a generous breakfast which most of our guests love - fresh fruit salad, a wide selection of museli and cereals, toast, warmed croissants. We also have every type of tea imaginable - not on display - as there are too many but this is noted on the breakfast menu. We also try to present our food well because we know this adds to the overall finish of breakfast and enjoyment. I am sorry you did not experience this.

I can assure you the way you feel is not how we like to guests to leave us and we want you to feel impressed by the hotel and not disappointed at all. I really hope you will come back to us and sample the hotel again as we would love to change your opinion.

All at Florence House

Reviewed 6 December 2012

Refreshing hotel, with excellent staff and a wonderful welcome. Stayed in room 3 which had a large main room, and ensuite bathroom with shower. In short the hotel is excellent, the beds very comfortable, parking and its close enough to walk to many many nice places to eat. I came away very impressed, after being made to feel genuinely welcome by Aqva and all the other staff. I have to stay away many nights of the week and this place was one of the rare gems, I only wish there were more places like it around the country.

In fact I was in two minds as to whether to write a review or not, as there is a part of me that does not want it to be fully booked the next time I need to stay!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a full review. We are so pleased everything was to your liking. I'm very pleased Aqua was able to help you and all staff made you feel welcome. Being described as "a rare gem" is just lovely.

We hope we have room for when you next stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

All at Florence House Hotel

Reviewed 1 December 2012

This is a lovely, clean, well appointed hotel situated two streets back from the beach. Nice rooms, very pleasant helpful staff (thanks Aqva!). The evening menu was limited but lots of other choices in the area.

Room Tip: Go for the superior room - its bigger!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Rob-Isaac

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review. We are pleased you found the location convenient and staff helpful - Aqua was pleased to assit you throughout the stay. We are currently looking to expand our evening menu following its recent introduction, thank you for your feedback.

All at Florence House

Reviewed 30 November 2012

I had room 7, which is downstairs from reception, so I eventually referred to it as "the dungeon".

I arrived at 1.pm and the room wasn't ready. I was invited to wait in reception, which I did, but there was no offer of tea or coffee whilst I waited.

The room was really small, 9' by 12', there was only room for one very small bedside table. There was no dressing table, only a narrow table against the wall with tea and coffee facilities. Although I had to put the kettle on the floor for the cable to reach the socket.

One of the reasons I booked this hotel was because it had private parking. When I arrived I couldn't see a car park so parked on the road. The receptionist said that she would give me a permit so that I could leave my car on the street. It was only after I made a fuss that she told me I could park in the hotel opposite's car park.

Whilst being told the times of breakfast I told the receptionist that I probably wouldn't have time as I had an early ferry to catch. She just nodded.

I was meeting a friend at the hotel for our journey to France, but when she arrived she was told that she could have a packed breakfast as she was leaving early. Funny it wasn't mentioned to me!

We both did get the packed breakfast in the end, and it wasn't worth making the fuss to get.

I don't know what makes a "boutique hotel", if it's a question of papering one wall in black swirling wallpaper and putting a black shade on a lamp, well then this was a "boutique hotel".

I wasn't impressed with anything about this hotel and wouldn't go back again, especially to room 7.

However, the Jolly Roger Pub just around the corner served wonderful food.

Room Tip: Don't take room 7!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Florence House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2012

Thank you for your review.

We are quite shocked to read one of our double room described as in the "dungeon" which is grossly misleading, defamatory and unnecessary. The room you refer to is just two steps down from the main reception area and brightly lit with a full window and large bathroom window also plus a main lamp and side light - far from a "dungeon."

Rooms are guaranteed as ready from 3pm and all guests are sent a welcome email on booking asking for their arrival time so that we can ensure we best accommodate guest's needs and they are not left waiting around. I spoke with the lady who checked you in and she advised she just needed to check over the room to ensure everything was in place, as such you were only in reception for a very short time and she was able to check you in 2 hours ahead.

I'm sorry you felt our packed breakfast option was not worth the fuss to get. We like to give our early risers a little something to take with them but naturally our generous continental breakfast provision is not very travel friendly so we offer a sandwich, croissant or cereal bar and fruit/juice drink - or whatever you request. We find most guests are pleased to have something to take with them and this is a service few (if any) hotels in the area offer.

Regarding the "black swirling wallpaper" absolutely none of our rooms have this feature so I am unclear of the room reference here. The room you stayed in has vintage blue floral wallpaper.

We are sorry you did not enjoy the stay with us and we hope you will consider us in the future so we can change your views on our Hotel by welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed for one night. Our room was well maintained and bright, the main bedroom was a good size and offered all we expected aside from a dressing table. The bathroom whilst a little "cosy" was immaculately clean. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and we were made to feel very welcome. Whilst the bar area was tiny (doubled as the reception) it did indeed serve drink! We made the most of a dry period in the morning to make the short walk to Southsea seafront. All in all a lovely small hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Florence House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you found the hotel suited your needs and was both clean and comfortable with helpful staff.

Please come back to us again if you are in the area,

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Pleasantly surprised. The room was huge and decorated to a very good standard, the service was great, bed was a comfy nice bedding, huge soft towels, in short all the things that make for a good stay when you're on your honeymoon. The staff are very friendly and chatty made me feel very welcome Helen the resections was very friendly the lady that had cleaned my room was very nice ( blonde brown haired cleaner cassie i think her name was ) was very polite and we had a good chat. She had cleaned my room that day nicely cleaned and tidy. the breakfast was very nice I had the muffing it was better than I thought it was going to be.... very clean and tidy hotel I would give you a 6* IF I COULD :) I hade a rally nice stay will come back soon x x x x x x x

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your delightful review! We are thrilled you had a good stay and found the staff helpful, friendly and the room and breakfast better than you thought. We hope to welcome you back for another stay soon,

Kind regards