Number Four Boutique Hotel
  • Pool
US$122
US$114
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$127
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Best Western Royal Beach Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$79
  • Room Service
US$141
US$136
Hotwire.com
Premier Inn Portsmouth Port Solent Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$97
PremierInn.com
All reviewsdouble showerl'occitane toiletriessister hotelsmall hotelmercer collectionlovely hotelbreakfast in bedsitting roombreakfast was excellentroom numberlovely roomalbert roadstayed longertea and coffeebus stopon arrivalthe ground floor
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Where do I start? It's tough because, in comparison to so many other great hotels and B&B's that I've stayed in, there are so many more positive aspects to comment on. Too many for this forum. So, without further ado, I'll see if I can do the Number Four Boutique Hotel some measure of justice. For those readers short of time and looking for the 'executive version', I would say. "Just book it - you will be VERY impressed!" Those wanting a bit more in the way of examples, please read on.

In general, Number Four Boutique Hotel is in a charming old building that is typical of the (Victorian?) style of the period and is very similar (if not identical) to other properties found near Southsea's waterfront. As one might expect of a hotel converted from a large house all of the rooms differ in size and proportion, so be sure to check out their website (http://www.number4hotel.co.uk/) to see which one fits your needs, or, better still, give them a call to ask their advice. Our room (No. 3) was a small double, which suited our short term needs nicely but I'm a big lad so, in retrospect, I probably would have preferred a bit more space if I would have stayed longer. The decor and furnishings were to an exceptionally high standard and very comfortable. Just a small note on equipment and furnishings: most British hotels tend to have tea, coffee, and biscuits (cookies, for my fellow North Americans) available in the room, but Number Four does not. Don't worry, though. For 20 hours a day, a quick call to the front desk will secure you a fresh pot of tea or coffee (with warm, homemade shortbread) in just a few minutes...we loved it. Finally, (leaving the very best until last), the single best reason to stay at Number Four is the care and attention you will receive from the staff. In my 35 years of travelling the globe, I cannot recall being taken care of so well. Here are some examples...

We arrived too early to check in but we were warmly greeted by the manager, Mary. She immediately made us feel welcome, served us with tea, and offered helpful suggestions for things to do while our room was being prepared. We left our car and took the 5 minute stroll to the beach. When we returned several hour later, we were not in the mood to go out in search of good food (it was a very warm day), so we enjoyed a luxurious shower and decided to dine in the hotel.

Now, typically, I avoid hotel dining wherever possible as I find it often falls short on quality and service, while being a touch too long on price! However, in this instance, I'm very glad I made an exception. We decided to take advantage of the warm evening and dine outside. Luis, our waiter, was very attentive and made the evening special for us. The chef prepared an excellent meal. My wife enjoyed a Wild Mushroom & Goat’s Cheese Tartlet for her starter, followed by Pan Fried Sea Bass while I had the Pan Fried Scallops followed by the Moroccan Vegetable Tangine. For desert, we can recommend the Baileys Crème Brûlée and the Pear & Pistachio Crumble Tart. Breakfast was equally sumptuous; no one should ever leave the hotel hungry!

The following day we decided to visit the Historic Navy Dockyard (well worth a visit) As summer traffic is heavy and parking at a premium, we asked Mary to call us a taxi. The taxi arrived on time and delivered us to the dockyard for just £5...about the same as the cost of buses. As the taxi drove away, I realized that I'd left my expensive camera on the back seat! As we didn't note the taxi company or the driver's name, we felt sure the camera wouldn't be seen again. However, a quick call to Mary solved the problem. She coordinated with the taxi company for the camera to be delivered to the hotel...a great relief.

A bit of traveler's philosophy: years ago, while vacationing in Greece, I met an elderly English gentlemen and his lovely wife. Over dinner one evening, Bernie and Brenda, both frequent travelers, shared their philosophy for travelling..."Never go back to the same place; it just won't be the same as you remember it...and life is too short for expensive disappointments." Since then I have embraced their philosophy as my own and normally look for different places to stay ...but, in this instance, I might have to make another exception. Thanks to all the staff at Number Four; you made our short break memorable.

PS: Keep doing what you do; it works!

Room Tip: If you are a 'person of size' (like me), give Number Four a call or drop an e-mail to discuss your needs. Some of the rooms a 'cozy' and may be a tight for extended stays. Also, It's an older building with several flights of stairs (dining in the basement), so if you are physically impaired, choose a ground floor room. The front door and reception are at the base of the stairs, so if you are a light sleeper take a room at the top of the house.
1  Thank Tubby82
Reception1113, Manager at Number Four Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for such a comprehensive and thoughtful review, we really appreciate it. It was very nice to meet you and we hope you make an exception and stay with us again! Many thanks

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We were happy with our large family room and lovely bathroom, and the room service breakfast. Very tastefully decorated and friendly staff. Had to pay for late check out though, but probably missed this in fine print. Also had to pay in full for room two months in advance which I thought semed strange.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. As a small property, we have a policy to take the payment on the day of booking and our guests can cancel their reservation 72hours prior arrival and obtain a refund. It is clearly stated on all booking sites. Our late check out fee is stated in the guest welcome pack. We are glad you liked your family room and room service. Please contact us if you are planning on coming to Portsmouth – it would be lovely to see you again.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had 2 rooms (a double and a single) for a one night stay Tuesday 16 July. We arrived slightly early however, although our rooms were not ready the duty manager was extremely helpful showing us into the wonderfully appointed lounge and providing us with plenty of very good coffee. When our rooms were ready she informed us that she had placed our bags in the room. We were informed that tea and coffee were provided free of charge and they did not have facilities in the room to keep them clean but just to phone reception and it would be brought to us so much nicer than the plastic pots of milk and instant coffee provided in big, expensive hotel chains!
The rooms were not huge but were very comfortable and had everything you need.
Breakfast could be taken in your room at no additional charge another novel concept, we went down to the restaurant and had a very nice full cooked breakfast.
We wanted to depart late and again this was no problem with the same duty manager providing coffee once again.

The only minor downside was that we had Room 405 on teh ground floor which we found to be rather noisy at night with other guests returning and holding conversations with the nightime duty manager. I would suggest that maybe the manager could remind guests that otheres are staying on that floor.

However, the above comment will not deter me from staying at this hotel again in teh future.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be better.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at Number Four though we have no room “405” on the ground floor so are slightly confused by this numbering. We are happy to know you liked our tea and coffee in the lounge. The hotel staff are always happy to assist our guests and they always enjoy having people in the lounge and getting to know them. Please do not hesitate to contact us next time you’re in Portsmouth and we would be happy to allocate you a room on the higher floor.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

we stayed here on sunday the 14th of july ,it was wonderful ,brilliant staff ,great food excellent wine ,,all round fantastic place to stay , good coffee great breakfast ,we will definetly go back many thanks

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

From the moment we arrived it was clear that the staff (especially Mary) could not do enough for us. Our room was not quite ready so we were shown to the comfortable and stylish lounge where we were served fresh coffee and shortbread. We were informed that we could have unlimited tea and coffee free of charge.
We were then shown to our room which was tastefully decorated, very comfortable and clean. We had booked one of the smaller rooms but larger ones are available.
A request for two glasses of Prosecco was swiftly answered along with strawberries (Mary's personal touch!).
Breakfast was delicious and included in our room rate, with a choice of cereal, toast or a full English. Coffee, tea and fruit juice was unlimited.
We will definitely be returning to see Mary and the team again, a delightful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

We are always very happy to be described as “a gem”. Many thanks for your lovely review and we are looking forward to welcoming you in the future.