All reviewsshared facilitiesalarm clockbedside tableiron and ironing boardwi fibottled watertea coffeehairdryer
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Getting off the train we phoned the hotel and asked how far away the hotel was from the station.. only to be sternly put in our place that 'it is not a hotel we actually run a b&b' shrugging the rudeness of this first sentence off we thought she was just a little odd. But after meeting her face to face we realised she really was rude and obnoxious. Although the majority of us were over 40 we felt like we were naughty school children in the headmasters office during the welcome talk. Our friends also booked to stay here for the night and when they arrived at noon the next day, one asked to go to the toilet after a 6 hour drive. She was very rude towards him reminding him check in wasnt while 2 oclock. Although in the end she agreed to let him use the shared toilet he paid £55 to use we were once again left feeling very akward and 'told off'.
This is a huge shame as the rooms (very small mind) were very clean and tidy. Adequate for a couple of nights stay providing you intend to go out and just use it as a place to rest your head. Breakfast was lovely and you cant knock her for that what so ever.
We had come to Portsmouth for the football and location wise it was 10 minutes ride to town and 5 to fratton park. Taxis very cheap and reliable paid no more than 5 pounds to travel to each part of Portsmouth.
In a nutshell this women needs to stay in the kitchen and leave her husband run front of house.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank jemmalouise1889
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Booked in to arrive between 3pm and 9pm and when I arrived at 6pm the lying manageress had cancelled my booking and had already charged my credit card for the full amount. She lied about trying to contact me and she lied about her credit card machine not working and demanded cash. After I checked my bank statement and she refused to credit the money so I reported her to my bank for credit card fraud... The room was cold and the food was very ordinary even by English standards and the town she calls home is a dump.
Plenty of other mini hotels in the street, go somewhere else!
Don't say you weren't warned!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank 397Bob397
AbbeyLodge, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

We might possibly be forgiven for having a simple and robust policy in place to protect us; and most importantly our guests, from credit card fraudsters and thieves: For payment on arrival, we will guarantee a booking against a valid, authenticated card and can only accept chip and pin cards when presented.
This first-time reviewer has curiously registered on Trip Advisor as having a Home in Kansas and used an invalid credit card with an unverified Australian address to secure his reservation and subsequently registered on his arrival with a non-existent address in Switzerland. Furthermore his telephone number was invalid and uncontactable and his email was never answered.
There is no way that we could have charged his (?) credit card because all the address details supplied by him are false and he was unable to enter a correct PIN when he presented his card. Incidentally, our credit card terminal is working perfectly and promptly rejected the transaction when no PIN was entered. A copy of this absolute cancellation was given to the reviewer – so what is his problem? We have never lied to him as he asserts; rather, quite the contrary. We have since checked our Credit Card Statement and no monies have been taken at all, as one would expect!
We are very surprised that this unauthenticated review has been published as it encourages fraudsters and con-men with dodgy credit cards to publish malicious reviews from clearly dubious one-time sources in Kansas (?) or Australia(?) or Switzerland(?); please take your pick - but not their cards!
Rest assured that we process your cards with due diligence and strict scrutiny and are certified to meet the fullest requirements of the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCIDSS) which is directly regulated and tested by VISA and MasterCard (in the USA) and reviewed annually. We will gladly send you a copy of our certificate – we really must put it on our web site!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is a well-furnished, clean and comfortable establishment. That said, they do not go the extra mile. When booking I made it clear via email we had to catch the 0815 Brittany ferry to France the next day.By return email, I was told no problem--a taxi next morning at 0730 would see us there in time. However, on arrival when I asked for breakfast at 0700 I was told by the landlord it was not possible. He described breakfast as "complimentary" and that their website made clear breakfast was only served between 0800-0900 (did not see their website as used a search engine to book). To be fair, he did offer to see if his wife could make sandwiches. I have stayed in B&Bs all over the UK and this was a first. We all (two couples) thought this very poor service.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Booked Abbey Lodge via LateRooms.com and although it seemed a little pricey for a B&B (we were charged £70 per room plus an extra £20 upon check-in for breakfast), we are certainly not complaining! We were greeted very warmly and shown to our comfortable en-suite room which was very well equipped with little extras you would expect to find in a hotel rather than a B&B. Breakfast was indeed 'award winning' and definitely worth the extra!! Although we only stayed one night, we would have no hesitation in coming back for longer. By the way, no problem with parking as there is plenty of street parking around and the Abbey is very near the Kings Theatre (just round the corner). Thank you Mike and Linda, (and the young lady who waited on us at breakfast), it was indeed a pleasure to stay in your home.

Room Tip: Room 4 is probably one of the best.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MiloLingfield
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Having just landed after a 6 month tour of Afghanistan I was in need of a place to stopover for a night and booked the Abbey Lodge because it was a reasonable price. However, after my train was delayed I found myself arriving 25 mins after the cut-off time for checking in. When I rang the bell I was met with the shadow of a person behind a glass door who ignored me and refused to open the door. I dragged my luggage and tired body to a hotel nearby where I was given a warm welcome. No refund pending.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo