All reviews shared facilities alarm clock bedside table iron and ironing board wi fi bottled water tea coffee hairdryer
Reviewed 17 June 2013

If you want to be treated with disrespect and rudeness then this is the place for you, both Linda and her husband have a lack of understanding of what it means to treat customers with respect and are terribly rude. My partner and I recently booked to stay here based on the fact that the abbey lodge website said check in was from 14:00 onwards. After booking (and paying in full) we received an email stating that we were only able to check in from 16:00.

Upon questioning, we were promptly (and very rudely) told that a check in from 14:00 could not be 100% guaranteed. They said we’d have to “attempt” to call them upon arrival to see if they could let us in. Realising that they couldn’t accommodate our request or meet the conditions laid out on their own website we had no other choice but to cancel the booking, at which point we were charged a £10 cancellation fee. Absolutely appalling considering that the only thing we did wrong was trust what their own website said (questionable what else they lie about). The refund process was also problematic with only £10 originally being transferred back to me, I needed to chase for the remaining balance. On email they appear ‘nice as pie’, be warned that they are have an inability to provide any kind of customer service and are aggressive on the phone (which they can do because it isn’t recorded and can’t be passed on like an email!).

My advice would be to avoid staying here unless you want to turn a pleasant night away into a stressful a fair.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank J K
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Stayed here for one night and it was perfect. Greeted by friendly owner on arrival. Room was all that I needed, clean, tidy, tea, coffee, snacks. Very comfortable bed. Breakfast was a highlight, all the food that you could possibly want and cooked fresh to order. Even some muffins and cookies to take away. Only slight negative would be the noise transferred through the floors and walls from other rooms. It's only minor noise and expected from these the old English style buildings.
Highly recommend staying here, I would come back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2013

After a long search on the internet for what I want in an accommodation I went for Abbey Lodge. From the moment I booked the room I promptly got a reply about some questions I had regarding the stay and the room which was a good start I might say. However, as we approached the doorbell I still had a little bit of worry of what awaits us as we enter...'coz believe it or not...you do get a little bit affected by what you read on sites like this so it's always a risk if you decide to go anyway with your own instincts. With that in mind, I tried to expect the worst but also hoping otherwise. To our surprise...from the moment we entered the reception area to being shown the room and how and where everything is...my oh my... we were impressed! The owner was very chatty and funny and told us so much about the area in minutes. He even gave us personal tips where to eat and so on. We loved the set up of the room...better than other 4-5 star hotels we stayed in. Facilities were bang on...newly renovated I would imagine... and the bed was to die for... It was hard to get out of bed after laying in such royalty... :D My aching back really benefited from it...that's for sure. We went straight out and enjoyed the sunset... the beach by the way was just down the road... also a man made lake if you turn left and keep walking in that direction...maybe another 10 minutes...Dinner was -u name it- Fish and chips...very fresh even had the skin on...which I don't usually get which was something as it was so crispy... yummmyyy! After that... stayed in the room till morning... Wi-fi was really good in the rooms too! Well the best part I would say is the special breakfast I requested the night before which came hot and fresh. The sausage was very fresh and I could probably eat a couple more as it was that nice... hehehe (blame it on the big belly) checking out was very straight forward and no fuss. I have to say if I would definitely book again next time I visit this area.

Room Tip: back rooms were good esp in the morning... bright sunlight goes straight in the room... u can stand near the window and get a tan... hehehe
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jachy
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This B and B is ok for an overnight stay...certainly couldn't stay longer. I personally would go out of my way to do what I could for my guest but unfortunately the landlady doesn't and comes across rude and a little too regimental. We felt like we were naughty school kids.
The area is run down and rough all the houses and flats down that road had smashed windows or sheets acting as curtains.....felt like we had to sleep with one eye open.
Room was clean and respectable and breakfast was good.....was not allowed any extra milk to take to our room to make additional tea as we had what we were given!!!!
The shower I just found funny....a cubicle that you can't swing a cat in...I waited until I was home to shower.....thank goodness there was a sink in the room to wash.
Could hear others talking and moving around.
As I said ok if you need to get your head down for a night....if you want friendly service who go above and beyond spend your money else where.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Daz2112
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Ok - just my opinion, but I'll share my experience for you to make up your own judgement! I booked a 'budget room' and upon arrival, the owner was friendly enough, then asked for payment (it was prebooked through a booking website) - I simply asked to 'see the room first' when his manner changed abruptly, and he refused - I said I wasnt going to pay until I'd at least had a glance at the room, and if that wasnt possible - not a problem, I would go and find another hotel - it was at this point that the owner got nasty, aggressive, and abusive, issuing threats to 'swipe my card' regardless (I dont take kindly to threats, so I left - but beware the Jekyll & Hyde manner of this guest house owner!)

Room Tip: Find somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank John K
AbbeyLodge, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

We seem to be attracting a disproportionate number of credit card fraudsters who end up flaming us on Trip Advisor when they get caught out. This guest booked through Late Rooms and provided a credit card to secure the room on the understanding that payment for the room would be made on arrival.
Alarm bells started ringing when this guest stated he wanted to inspect the room first and if he didn't like it, leave without paying. He seemed quite unable to understand that he had reserved a room against his credit card and that it is quite insulting to infer that the room might not be clean and even shabby and unhygienic; I pointed out that we had been awarded three stars by the Tourist Board, a breakfast award and the top score of five by the Environmental Health Dept so it was unlikely that we were substandard in any way.
With regards to whom was being nasty, aggressive and abusive; suffice it to say that I was not the one sticking a finger in my face and shouting “I'll have you mate, I'm going to kick up such a stink you won't know what's hit you – either I get to see the room or I will write a **??** bad review on Trip Advisor” Oh well at least he is a man of his word!

After 25 years in this business we have learnt not to allow access to our rooms until full payment has been made. The usual trick is to get into the room and then find every reason under the sun to avoid paying. A favourite is that "I have to go to the cash point" or "my boss will pay" etc etc. Another common trick is to find some minor fault and then try and negotiate the room rate down.

So why are we so sure that this guy is a con man? Out of curiosity we checked out his card five minutes after he left and guess what? It was declined for insufficient funds!

So it would seem that he had no intention of paying us at all – thank heavens we insist on payment on arrival!