All reviewsshared facilitiesalarm clockbedside tableiron and ironing boardwi fibottled watertea coffeehairdryer
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The breakfasts were well cooked and the bedroom contained a large, comfortable bed. The "bathroom" (toilet, washbasin and shower) was the smallest I have seen. It looked like a converted wardrobe. Anyone suffering from claustrophobia beware! A first glance it looked dirty but this was due to the old, chipped tiles. In actual fact it was clean. We had to hang our clothes on a rail over the coffee/tea making facilities. The bedroom carpet looked old and stained in places. For £70 I expected better.

The guest house is on a very busy road so we were often woken by noise from traffic and people.

The Abbey Lodge is full of (plastic) flowers and is well decorated. Guests are expected to pay for all nights in advance and are told not to check in until 16.00

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the house.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hadley94
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Great budget accommodation, clean rooms/bathrooms, friendly staff, top breakfast cooked to order. If you have watched the hotel inspector on channel 5 and seen how Alex Polizzi advises best practice about how to best greet guests, be knowledgeable about your area and have clean welcoming rooms then you will certainly get that here.
Look at the price of a premiere at short booking notice (they wanted £120 the night I stayed) and what you get at a premiere (a room minus breakfast, unless you want to pay more). Compare that to a local independent value for money guest house with a welcoming approach to their guests, I know what I'd chose every time.
Yes I will stay again, thank you

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2013

If you want to be treated with disrespect and rudeness then this is the place for you, both Linda and her husband have a lack of understanding of what it means to treat customers with respect and are terribly rude. My partner and I recently booked to stay here based on the fact that the abbey lodge website said check in was from 14:00 onwards. After booking (and paying in full) we received an email stating that we were only able to check in from 16:00.

Upon questioning, we were promptly (and very rudely) told that a check in from 14:00 could not be 100% guaranteed. They said we’d have to “attempt” to call them upon arrival to see if they could let us in. Realising that they couldn’t accommodate our request or meet the conditions laid out on their own website we had no other choice but to cancel the booking, at which point we were charged a £10 cancellation fee. Absolutely appalling considering that the only thing we did wrong was trust what their own website said (questionable what else they lie about). The refund process was also problematic with only £10 originally being transferred back to me, I needed to chase for the remaining balance. On email they appear ‘nice as pie’, be warned that they are have an inability to provide any kind of customer service and are aggressive on the phone (which they can do because it isn’t recorded and can’t be passed on like an email!).

My advice would be to avoid staying here unless you want to turn a pleasant night away into a stressful a fair.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank J K
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Stayed here for one night and it was perfect. Greeted by friendly owner on arrival. Room was all that I needed, clean, tidy, tea, coffee, snacks. Very comfortable bed. Breakfast was a highlight, all the food that you could possibly want and cooked fresh to order. Even some muffins and cookies to take away. Only slight negative would be the noise transferred through the floors and walls from other rooms. It's only minor noise and expected from these the old English style buildings.
Highly recommend staying here, I would come back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2013

After a long search on the internet for what I want in an accommodation I went for Abbey Lodge. From the moment I booked the room I promptly got a reply about some questions I had regarding the stay and the room which was a good start I might say. However, as we approached the doorbell I still had a little bit of worry of what awaits us as we enter...'coz believe it or not...you do get a little bit affected by what you read on sites like this so it's always a risk if you decide to go anyway with your own instincts. With that in mind, I tried to expect the worst but also hoping otherwise. To our surprise...from the moment we entered the reception area to being shown the room and how and where everything is...my oh my... we were impressed! The owner was very chatty and funny and told us so much about the area in minutes. He even gave us personal tips where to eat and so on. We loved the set up of the room...better than other 4-5 star hotels we stayed in. Facilities were bang on...newly renovated I would imagine... and the bed was to die for... It was hard to get out of bed after laying in such royalty... :D My aching back really benefited from it...that's for sure. We went straight out and enjoyed the sunset... the beach by the way was just down the road... also a man made lake if you turn left and keep walking in that direction...maybe another 10 minutes...Dinner was -u name it- Fish and chips...very fresh even had the skin on...which I don't usually get which was something as it was so crispy... yummmyyy! After that... stayed in the room till morning... Wi-fi was really good in the rooms too! Well the best part I would say is the special breakfast I requested the night before which came hot and fresh. The sausage was very fresh and I could probably eat a couple more as it was that nice... hehehe (blame it on the big belly) checking out was very straight forward and no fuss. I have to say if I would definitely book again next time I visit this area.

Room Tip: back rooms were good esp in the morning... bright sunlight goes straight in the room... u can stand near the window and get a tan... hehehe
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple