All reviewsshared facilitiesalarm clockbedside tableiron and ironing boardwi fibottled watertea coffeehairdryer
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is very much B and B standard. The rooms were clean but very tired and dated. ( I did notice a stained duvet cover.). The landlords were perfectly nice people. The breakfast was very nice and freshly cooked. Our "superior room" would be a normal hotel standard room. At £78.00 / night I would say over priced.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deneuk12
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed at this guest house last year,with two of my grandchildren and nephew..At first I thought the landlady was not as helpful as I would have liked (we arrived early,and wanted to leave cases) how ever on staying there I can respect her decision (being bit off,about leaving cases) the rooms were spotless and beautiful..lots of tea,coffee,biscuits and hot chocolate.. I even asked could I book another nite as I could not fault it..It was the best ive ever been to..she even went out of her way to do packed lunch for the two who had to go back early..the breakfast was really nice, although my youngest granddaughter is not a big eater! I promised to take them back this year..but due to ill health it was impossible..but definatly return again..even my youngest keeps saying Nannie,Nannie please can we go to the Abbey..she was only 7yrs at time

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

The place is clean and the owners pleasant, helpful and attentive. Good location near Albert St where there were shops restaurants and pubs, and close to the sea. All night partying students over the road kept me awake, which is a shame.....

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The breakfasts were well cooked and the bedroom contained a large, comfortable bed. The "bathroom" (toilet, washbasin and shower) was the smallest I have seen. It looked like a converted wardrobe. Anyone suffering from claustrophobia beware! A first glance it looked dirty but this was due to the old, chipped tiles. In actual fact it was clean. We had to hang our clothes on a rail over the coffee/tea making facilities. The bedroom carpet looked old and stained in places. For £70 I expected better.

The guest house is on a very busy road so we were often woken by noise from traffic and people.

The Abbey Lodge is full of (plastic) flowers and is well decorated. Guests are expected to pay for all nights in advance and are told not to check in until 16.00

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the house.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hadley94
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Great budget accommodation, clean rooms/bathrooms, friendly staff, top breakfast cooked to order. If you have watched the hotel inspector on channel 5 and seen how Alex Polizzi advises best practice about how to best greet guests, be knowledgeable about your area and have clean welcoming rooms then you will certainly get that here.
Look at the price of a premiere at short booking notice (they wanted £120 the night I stayed) and what you get at a premiere (a room minus breakfast, unless you want to pay more). Compare that to a local independent value for money guest house with a welcoming approach to their guests, I know what I'd chose every time.
Yes I will stay again, thank you

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business