All reviewsshared facilitiesalarm clockbedside tableiron and ironing boardwi fibottled watertea coffeehairdryer
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I booked a bed and breakfast as I thought better to give my money to a private organisation than a big company - the BB wasn't cheap £78 for bed and breakfast.

The first thing to note about the Abbey Lodge - DO NOT THINK of checking in before 4pm and if you arrive after 9 you are seriously out of luck. I tried to pick up my key before four, as I had plans in town and wouldn't be back until midnight, I was happy that the room wouldn't be ready - in the end I had to change my plans to accommodate the inflexibility of the organisation.

if you like a location that has signs on every wall telling you what to do or what not to do you will love the Abbey Lodge. My bathroom (shower cupboard in the room) even had instructions on how to use the tap in the bedroom - does anyone in 2013 not know how to use a tap????

The room was quite a good standard and had pretty much everything you would need, but as a loss to why anyone would want plastic flowers and about a hundred leaflets on local attractions in their rooms - and the light shade.. .. . .. straight from the 70s!!

The quilt cover was horrid as it was textured and made sleeping unpleasant, ended up getting dressed in the middle of the night so I wasn't exfoliated in my sleep

Breakfast was good - maybe between 8 and 9 on a Sunday morning is too early, but you have to be out of your room no later than 10, so eat up and get a move on.

An OK place to stay, but don't expect a warm welcome or any flexibility in the rules of the house

Room Tip: Its ten minute walk to the beach, but don't expect to park close to the BB - that's if you can even find a parking space
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank David M
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is very much B and B standard. The rooms were clean but very tired and dated. ( I did notice a stained duvet cover.). The landlords were perfectly nice people. The breakfast was very nice and freshly cooked. Our "superior room" would be a normal hotel standard room. At £78.00 / night I would say over priced.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deneuk12
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed at this guest house last year,with two of my grandchildren and nephew..At first I thought the landlady was not as helpful as I would have liked (we arrived early,and wanted to leave cases) how ever on staying there I can respect her decision (being bit off,about leaving cases) the rooms were spotless and beautiful..lots of tea,coffee,biscuits and hot chocolate.. I even asked could I book another nite as I could not fault it..It was the best ive ever been to..she even went out of her way to do packed lunch for the two who had to go back early..the breakfast was really nice, although my youngest granddaughter is not a big eater! I promised to take them back this year..but due to ill health it was impossible..but definatly return again..even my youngest keeps saying Nannie,Nannie please can we go to the Abbey..she was only 7yrs at time

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

The place is clean and the owners pleasant, helpful and attentive. Good location near Albert St where there were shops restaurants and pubs, and close to the sea. All night partying students over the road kept me awake, which is a shame.....

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The breakfasts were well cooked and the bedroom contained a large, comfortable bed. The "bathroom" (toilet, washbasin and shower) was the smallest I have seen. It looked like a converted wardrobe. Anyone suffering from claustrophobia beware! A first glance it looked dirty but this was due to the old, chipped tiles. In actual fact it was clean. We had to hang our clothes on a rail over the coffee/tea making facilities. The bedroom carpet looked old and stained in places. For £70 I expected better.

The guest house is on a very busy road so we were often woken by noise from traffic and people.

The Abbey Lodge is full of (plastic) flowers and is well decorated. Guests are expected to pay for all nights in advance and are told not to check in until 16.00

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the house.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple