All reviewsshared facilitiesalarm clockbedside tableiron and ironing boardwi fibottled watertea coffeehairdryer
Reviewed 23 April 2015

Reception on arrival good. Room OK. Breakfast room too small to take all guests so some told, on arrival there, to go back and be called. A couple, who didn't speak English too well, arrived out of turn. They were then subjected to an extremely violent verbal attack from the female proprietor. She repeated the attack twice more, much to the embarrassement of the couple and the astonishment of the other guests. A terrible example of customer service.

Room Tip: Choose en suite
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank launay2015
Reviewed 5 April 2015

Via a late booking website, I needed a place to crash in Portsmouth. Shrewsbury were playing at Fratton Park, and I wanted to marry that with a chance to visit the sites and also the Isle of Wight.

The accommodation needed to be near to the city centre as well as Fratton Park. So the Abbey Lodge looked ideal.

Located in Southsea, the accommodation is located in a quiet residential street, with a small park close by.

I had asked to book in early afternoon as I wanted to drop off my gear, and park the car before going to the match. I couldn't give an exact time due to travelling down from Shrewsbury by car. I received an email from the Hotel asking for a precise time, but as I explained this wouldn't be easy.As it turned out, it took me 40 minutes from the M27 to travel the 5 miles or so to Southsea (due to the football traffic) and so my hoped for arrival time of 2 ish was wide of the mark. So I got to the Abbey at around 2.30 p.m. Despite the notices saying that rooms would not be ready before 4 p.m. I was met by the Landlord who was so friendly and helpful. He took me to my budget room (no en-suite), which was clean and well equipped. Free wifi. A tea tray with biscuits, hot chocolate, tea and coffee. A small sink, but the room also had its own iron and iron board. It was a great touch, and how many hotels, B and B's (big and small) fail to have this.

The owner pointed out the local amenities in Southsea (including pointing out the Leopold Tavern - a ten hand pull real ale bar!) and couldn't have been more helpful.

Although I do like my creature comforts not having an en-suite didn't phase me. It was a little bit of a hike, but even with the property being full, I never had a problem using the facilities.

The breakfast was lovely and plentiful.

My only gripes. No parking immediately adjacent. There is street parking close by next to the local park. And also no one to say goodbye! Keys were just left on the sill in the reception lobby. I really wanted to say thank you for such a lovely stay. And after the welcome I had received, it would have just been a nice touch.

Overall though, definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Budget single has a sloping roof so may not be suitable for a tall person.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2015 via mobile

Lovely little bed and breakfast. The owner was very polite and welcoming. The room I chose was a small single budget with a shared shower. There wasn't a que in the morning... :-). Pleasantly suprised I had an iron in my room and a lovely set of towels and full coffee and tea making facilities. Bedding was very comfortable.
The breakfast was very very good and I really enjoyed sitting in the room full of RAF memorabilia.
I would most certainly stay there again.
Only issue was that when I arrived I was told that I had not paid. This was true in the end, however having entered bank details into LateRooms.com and having 2 emails confirming booking with no mention I had to pay on arrival i Didn't need this after a busy day. This is no fault of the b and b but please bare this in mind if booking through LateRooms.
Looking forward to getting back to the room tonight. Thankyou

Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2014

When we arrived we were welcomed very kind and we got many informations. In the room there was everything what need , tea, cookie, hot chocolate, hair dryer, water boil. The shower was very modern. And the Breakfast was big and delicious. Everything was clean. The house inside was beautiful I liked the pictures about airplanes. The house was very close to the sea and to the pubs. The bed and the room was very comfortable.

Room Tip: We chose double bed room. It was perfect
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2014

Very friendly owners and lots of facilities/ little extras in the room that you would not normally expect from a basic b&b room: complimentary tea/coffee, wi-fi, iron, hairdryer, clock and tv.

Had to wait a little while for breakfast as only small dining room, but the breakfast was well worth the wait. My vegetarian partner was well catered for with cooked vegetarian breakfast as we requested.

Close to seafront, and Albert Road for restaurants/bars. Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple