“Superb small boutique hotel”

Somerset House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the Somerset House Hotel 25th - 28th Jan. a superb small boutique hotel, the staff were very friendly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms we had were excellent, one for myself and hubby one for son and wife, on our first night the towel rail in the bathroom leaked, we asked if we could have another room, this was no trouble and we changed rooms, they are lovely large rooms with en-suite facilities, with L'occitane toiletries, the towels were changed every day, plenty of tea coffee on hospitality tray, we had room service on first night, which was brilliant, we had selection of sandwiches. Breakfast is in sister hotel just a few yards across the very quiet road, breakfast continental, but you can order from breakfast menu cooked options at a very reasonable charge, excellent service and breakfast. I had asked if they could get me a birthday cake for my son's birthday on the Saturday, this they did for me and was brought out to him with candles after breakfast, perfect. Exceptional staff at this hotel. If anyone is thinking of going to Portsmouth I would thoroughly recommend the Somerset House Hotel, one NOT to be MISSED. Thank you all at Somerset House for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 8
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank francesca499484
Ellie H, Manager at Somerset House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Thank you for your review, it as lovely to help you celebrate with cake and all and I'm so glad you enjoyed the hotel! You were all great guests to have with us and we hope to see you for another celebration soon,

Best wishes all at Somerset House

There are newer reviews for Somerset House Hotel

Reviewed 21 January 2013

We booked for one night at the Somerset House Hotel for January 16th. We had an executive room on a B & B basis at a cost of £59. After making the booking I phoned to ask if we could switch to a downstairs room. The receptionist said she would speak to her manager and called later to confirm that this had been arranged. We had to check in at a sister hotel with our hotel being a few metres opposite in another road. We were provided with off road parking for our car a few metres from our hotel. The room was well laid out with first class decor and was spotless. The room was well heated with a large radiator and had an enormous mirror. There was a hospitality tray but we would have preferred larger cups for the room as we enjoy a bigger cup of tea! The ensuite bathroom had a good size shower with a large showerhead. There was also a small hand held shower but my wife could not get this to work. A small point which we should have mentioned to the manager. The toiletries were of a good quality. We ordered soup and a sandwich each from room service. The quality was good although we had to phone reception as the baguettes with the soup were not provided. This was corrected, with an apology, very quickly. We thought the food quality was good and the cost was £22 -perhaps a little expensive but very enjoyable. We had a very peaceful nights sleep. The bed was firm and very comfortable and the pillows were excellent. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast (a cooked breakfast was available at an extra charge) which contained a good selection of fruit and cereals with fruit juice, toast and tea or coffee. It was necessary to go to the sister hotel for breakfast as there is no dining area in the Somerset House. The service was first class and attentive without being overpowering. We can heartily recommend this hotel and would have no hesitation in revisiting in the future. We wish the hotel future success,

Room Tip: Our ground floor room was quiet even thoough the window overlooked the roadway
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Channon

Thank you for such a comprehensive and thoughtful review, we really appreciate it! It is lovely to hear your thoughts on the whole stay and we appreciate your kind wishes at the end of the review.

We look forward to meeting you again.

Somerset House

Reviewed 23 December 2012

We stayed overnight before catching the ferry to Santander. The very large room was delightful with most attractive furnishings. The en-suite bathroom was very modern and well appointed with L'occitane toiletries. Plenty of tea/coffee/hot chocolate on the hospitality tray. Breakfast was served in the sister hotel & we elected to pay for a full english which was very nicely cooked. All the staff were very helpful & attentive. Would be delighted to use this hotel on any further visits to Portsmouth & would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Ellie H, Manager at Somerset House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Thank you for your review, we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again when you stop prior to another ferry trip.

Best wishes

Reviewed 18 December 2012

We stayed at Somerset House Hotel, Southsea Portsmouth, for 2 nights from Tuesday 11 December til Thursday 13 December. We were in Portsmouth to attend a family wedding.

Upon arrival we were met by a lovely young lady, who showed us are room, and explained the parking resrictions in the area, was then provided with a parking permit.

The room was excellent, it was quite big, very clean, had en-suite facilities, tea and coffee making facilities, and most important this time of year was warm.

Breakfast is served in the sister hotel across the road, again the staff were most helpful and polite.

Yes the cooked breakfast is extra, but tea/coffee, toast. fruit and cereals are available.

I would also like to mention the cleaning staff, they are wonderful, thorough, and very knowledgeable, if you need advice on where to spend the day.

Would definately stay here again,

Thank you all the staff at Somerset House Hotel who made our stay so pleasant.

Room Tip: Check out the suites !!!! they look fantanstic
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review! We appreciate you taking the time to post it.

We hope to see you again for another visit.

All at Somerset House Hotel

Reviewed 1 December 2012

Lovely hotel - I have stayed at its sister hotel the Florence House several times but things have changed slightly since my last visit. Although still charging the same you have to cross over the road to the sister hotel for breakfast and if you want a cooked breakfast it is no longer included in the price. Furthermore, if you want something ASK I wanted the advertised pastries but they were not on offer so i had toast then when I had finished my breakfast the staff changed and the new waitress offered warm croissants you can imagine my disappointment so my advice is if you want something ask for it and dot be like me and assumer there are none. Clean and comfortable hotel with permit on street parking, no real complaints I just hope the downward slide doesnt continue that would be a shame, as it would no longer be my preferred hotel in Southsea..

Room Tip: There are no lifts so if you dont like climbing stairs choose one on the ground floor, they are all...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Firstly if I can just clarify that some time ago now (about 2 years) we changed our pricing so that a continental breakfast was included but a cooked breakfast was a small extra charge. This was so people were not paying for a breakfast that they did not want. Most guests in the week do not want a cooked breakfast as they are business travellers in a hurry and this works best all round.

I am sorry about your disappointment surrounding the croissants. We have spoken to staff about this mishap to ensure we do not disappoint other guests.

Thank you again for making us your preferred hotel in the area and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

From entering the hotel, I was delighted with the staff and their helpfulness. On being shown to my room, I was delighted at the fresh, contemporary decoration and the facilities provided in the room. Didn't work out all the buttons on the TV, despite staying over 4 nights. Free Wi-fi really powerful, no delays. Continental breakfast included was varied and delicious. Service from the staff throughout was delightful. Will be using this hotel whenever I'm in Portsmouth. Thanks to all who made it such a pleasure!

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for the review, it's lovely to have you stay with us regularly. We are pleased the wifi suits your needs as a business guest and that staff were helpful to you at all times. We pride ourselves on our breakfast so I'm pleased you enjoyed it all.

See you soon

Reviewed 9 November 2012

Pleasant hotel with comfortable fittings though bathroom showing signs of wear. Booked hotel based on on site car parking but on arrival was expected to use parking permit for on street parking. When pointed out I needed secure parking the receptionist? arranged for me to park in the sister hotel the Florence that had a proper car park across the road. No problem, therefore, but perhaps the website would be better suggesting requesting car parking when booking.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Somerset House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Thank you for your review. I apologise about the confusion regarding parking. We have a range of parking options for guests and are able to accommodate everyone's needs by request. I'm glad we could resolve this for you.

Thank you for your 4 star review and we hope to see you again soon,