“Always good”

Price range: US$21 - US$31
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Been a regular here since it was called the "ambassador" . Food always good but not quite the same level of high quality and tastiness as T&J. Very friendly staff who were able to do a dish not on the menu. Best dish of the evening for us was a duck tikka starter but all good.
I see there are recent poor reviews from large groups expecting to spend less than £11 each - it's not that sort of place. If you want cheap then don't go here - there is a place at the lower end of Palmerston Rd you might prefer

Reviewed 15 March 2014

the food was a good standard, although a little overpriced, and throughout our dining experience the service was fine. it wasn't until it came to paying the bill that we had a problem. being a group of 10 we asked to pay separately, only for what we had eaten. the waiter couldn't understand this, and kept trying to force us to divide the total by 10 (although by his calculation 110.80 ten ways is 11.10 each). we were insistent we wouldn't do this as some of us had ordered less on purpose, but he told us we would have to as we didn't tell him in advance we wanted separate bills. he dramatised the issue to make it sound like it was such a terrible and difficult request. we explained that we would tell him how much to out on each card and none of us would leave until it was all paid for, but he refused to cooperate. after arguing with us for some time he eventually agreed to calculate it himself, rather than trust our sums. he came back with a slip of paper for me totalling £1 more than I had calculated it to be. by this point my friends had mostly got fed up and paid, but working in the restaurant trade, I know my rights, and I insisted he show me his sums, to which he replied "all the rest of your friends are no problem, you are the only problem", I should have refused to pay and walked out there and then! when he showed me his sums it turned out he was overcharging me on two items:
firstly the cost of the naan was higher than in the menu, his reasoning being the prices have changed and I would have to pay the higher price now as the menu is wrong, with no prior warning to this!
secondly, despite our 16 popadoms and 2 chutneys totalling 13.60 (divide this by 16= 85p each) I was informed it was 2.40 for my 2 popadoms, not 1.70. I queried this and he shouted at me that the price was right and I should stop arguing! after working it out it seems to be 2.40 because we were being charged for a chutney each, even though we only had 2 on the table!
eventually he agreed to "not charge me for the chutney to get me to leave"!
I don't expect discount, what I expected was to pay the right amount, and I hardly think taking 1.20 off the total bill, covers what we overpaid! he refused to listen and just charged me for the lower amount to get me to go.
it would turn out that they are seemingly overcharging to get more of a tip, which seems to be a recurring issue looking through the other reviews. it would have been interesting to see how much our whole table overpaid.
so if you decide to go here:
1- ask for the current menu prices if they are incorrect against what it advertised but you will be expected to pay it anyway
2- double check what you are being charged for, because it's probably not what you had!
3- expect to be spoken to in a derogatory way if you question anything.

as a restaurant manager, I am horrified to think that this is classes as an acceptable way to talk to your customers, and under no circumstances can you insist a customer pays more than the menu says because they have upped their prices!

it's sad that this waiter ruined what would otherwise have been a nice experience!
as it stands I would definitely not go back again.

1  Thank lauren1232014
Reviewed 14 February 2014

It's pathetic expeience just a while ago on the Valentines Day. Be ready to be insulted, if you are dinning in only for the starters then get ready, coz they will ask you to leave the restaurant. This is b'coz they just want to serve only for those who can fill their pockets by ordering drinks, main course etc etc.....take a wise call before walk in.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I love this place, I have never had a bad curry and the mint sauce is so bright it makes sure you dont forget it.
The staff have always been great here and put up with most requests no matter how awkward. Would def recommend to anyone looking for a good curry.

1  Thank Catinator
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I've been coming to the JITC ever since I moved to Portsmouth 8 years ago, so it's about time I shared the love! The service is wonderful, fast and attentive and the food is consistently delicious. Streets ahead of the competition; well done!