“Hen Party”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Hen Party”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recently visited The Golden Emperor with 20 other people as part of my Hen night celebrations. The staff all ensured that I had an amazing time and the food was fantastic. There were so many different starters and main courses for the set price of about £14 and so much food. The place was spotless and the Chinese Karaoke afterwards was really good fun. I can thoroughly recommend this venue if you want to bring a large group of people to an event and have plentiful fresh food and good quality service. We were not kept waiting for our food given that we were a large group. Fantastic. Thanks to the owner and his wife.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank Liz T

East Sussex, UK
“An enjoyable chinese meal with pleasant service.”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Whilst shopping in Portsmouth city centre one Monday afternoon recently my wife said that she fancied a chinese meal so looking around we stumbled upon the 'Golden Emperor' restaurant which is centrally located in the city centre near Portsmouth's lovely Guildhall building late one Monday afternoon recently taking advantage of the fact that this restaurant remains open all day from mid morning until late evening daily.

The 'Golden Emperor' chinese restaurant is located up a flight of stairs which is somewhat hidden down a side passageway,but fortunately a board was stragically placed by the entrance to the passageway directing potential customers such as ourselves to the restaurant,otherwise we would not had been aware of this restaurant's existance,and I'm sure that we would had missed it.

The restaurant was very quiet on the afternoon which we visited and we were the only customers there,but then as the time was only around 4.15pm this is hardly surprising, I suppose.

My wife selected a pork dish whilst I chose a chicken curry with egg fried rice for myself which together with four spring rolls and two glasses of Coca-Cola and coffees to finish up with, cost us £27.50 which I feel is average in this day and age.
The food was enjoyable,and we found that the staff are most courteous and they were extremely pleasant to us which made our visit to the 'Golden Emperor' a very nice experience.

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank Roger-from-Sussex
Melksham, United Kingdom
“We won't be returning”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We did leave it a bit late to find something to eat before the 'Specials' concert at the Guildhall but wrongly thought that there would be more restaurants in the area. A doorman of a local pub directed us to this Chinese. The decor was very dated and weird Chinese Karaoke was playing on a TV in the corner. It's great if you are into train spotting as the rails are right next to the window! The service was friendly enough but the food left something to be desired. Luckily we were all very hungry so ate what we were served. My lesson learnt for the future would be to do my research on tripadvisor before I go to check out where the best restaurants are located.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank StryW
Holyhead, United Kingdom
“Poor value for money.”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

found the food was not as good as my local chinese. however, it tasted ok but could have been a bit more plentiful.

Visited April 2013
“Chinese karaoke on tv was an added bonus!!”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Having read the terrible reviews, we risked it and it wasn't awful!

The food was yummy but poor quality for the price- the Chinese karaoke on tv kept us amused but the service was appalling...

Would go back there as its so close to the station and it's fun watching trains go by :)

2 Thank Chevka2005