“Go here really lovely and very good value.”
Review of Barnards

Ranked #44 of 699 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$40 - US$50
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We live very close to this lovely place but didn't visit until recently. We have been to lunch here 3 times now. The staff are very friendly and efficient and the venue is immaculately kept. The food is beautifully presented and tastes as lovely as it looks. The standards are quite high yet the prices are very reasonable and they pay attention to every last detail. Since it is the only coffee shop in the village, I would advise you to book especially if there are lots of you because it does fill up rather quickly as it is so popular. It is suitable for all ages. Just the only down side is there is only one highchair but that's nothing compared to the high quality of service you receive there. We all love going. I would recommend their strawberry milkshakes! I order one every time I go in! It is lovingly put together with ice cream and is beautifully garnished with a strawberry on the glass! Just the thing ! Also they sell lovely cakes which they have displayed on the bar and if you want to you can buy the cakes to take away. I usually do because they look so tempting and I promise you, they are delicious.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We booked the restaurant for an 80th birthday lunch for 22 people ranging in age from 2 - 80. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and the food was excellent. We had a fantastic day and the birthday girl and her sisters loved it all.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My wife and I went for dinner here last night. We have lived in the village for over four years now and my wife has always said how much she would like to go there. So this year for her birthday I made a reservation. The menu has always looked great however we had been for a delicious lunch earlier that day so I was slightly worried about comparing the two. Luckily, I needn’t had worried.
We received a warm welcome and asked which table we preferred as it was still early (6:45pm).
There was a wide choice to choose from when it came to the menu – probably as there were three! There was a special Thursday night offer – Steak, side and wine for under £10 – which my wife chose. There was also the main menu and an additional two course set menu which had 2 different choices of main and desert.
My wife had a cheese soufflé to start, followed by the steak and bread and butter pudding for desert. I had a lovely fresh tomato soup to start, followed by a mature cheddar cheese soufflé with roasted cherry tomatoes and a chocolate panna cotta. Everything was delicious. Everything was lovely and fresh, cooked perfectly and full of flavour.
I wouldn’t say this was the cheapest of places but you get what you pay for and the food was excellent.
The service was friendly and efficient. The chef made a point of coming out the kitchen and saying goodbye to us on the way out which was a nice touch.
It’s now left me wondering just why we waited so long to go here. We will definitely be going back and taking friends and family along so they can enjoy it too.
I imagine it’s even nicer in the summer as they have a large dining area out the back which is the same size as the restaurant itself.
Highly recommend!

2  Thank Denmead32
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My husband and I visited Barnard's for a birthday celebration lunch, as usual the food and service were superb.
I noted the attention given to single diners, the owner came and chatted to them and there were daily papers to keep them company. What a gem, lucky Denmead !

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Visited 20/12 as part of a party of 18 for a celebratory meal. The table was well prepared and with place cards per table plan.
We had a superb evening, the food was excellent, as was the service. I couldn't fault anything. 10/10.
The acid test, would i return, definitely yes.

1  Thank martyncooper1