“awful beds, great location”

Hotel ibis budget Southampton Centre
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“awful beds, great location”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

location and price is appealing the beds however are really uncomfortable so ruin the stay ! staff are friendly and helpful which is a plus although when they offer you breakfast for a fiver take note it is just bread and cereals etc was kind of misleading at the time of booking / checking in..and also no kettle facilities but luckily a mcdonalds downstairs to run and grab a cuppa if need be, if stay in this area again will be more likely 1 of the other 2 hotels nearby on same grounds

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Ibisbudget-Manager, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Southampton Centre, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your other comments.
Assistant Manager Ibis Budget Southampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Thai first
na
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Don't expect to have a kettle with sugar and tea in your room. The standard double room/triple room I stayed in reminded me of a spaceship. Note, at first glance the room looks clean but the sheets weren't (a lot of stains). Bed was like sleeping on a rock. I had much better sleep in my car. Too basic for me. If staying there I suggest you pay no more than £20pn. Anything more u'll be ripped off. Also, budget for parking as it ain't free.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Realtalk999
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments
with the utmost seriousness. I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed
with your stay.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I needed a hotel for 1 night only as I travelled down to Southampton to watch my football team play there.I picked the Ibis budget as I just needed somewhere central,cheap and cheerful.The Ibis ticked all the boxes.Its a 5 minute walk out the back of Southampton central train station,its on a bit of a retail park which includes a TGI Fridays,a McDonalds,a Toys r Us and a few other hotels.Be carefull because there is another Ibis hotel right opposite! (This isn`t a budget though).I checked in mid afternoon,but did encounter a problem that I`ve never come across before!? I reserved it with my bank card but clicked that I would pay cash on arrival.When I tried to pay they required i.d? I was going to a football match so just had my basics on me,I didn't have a passport or anything else on me.As a result they would not let me check in!! "I was like I`m paying cash!? Since when did you need i.d to pay cash?? By card maybe?" The result ment I had to contact a friend who was staying at another hotel to come and pay with his card. (Very strange!) Once I was checked in I went to the room on the 2nd floor which as you can imagine is very basic but just what I needed.Double bed,tv,seperate shower and toilet but most important very clean,fresh and tidy.My window looked out over McDonalds which I thought would do me fine for breakfast.Another good plus point was the check out time the following morning is not till midday,this ment I could go get something to eat before retuning for a shower without a mad rush.I`d definitely stay here again, but I`l remember my identification next time because if I didn't know anyone that was also in Southampton I would of been stranded!!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed about the same and all had lift access so shouldn`t have any problems but the v...