“A Basic Hotel”

Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 June 2014

1  Thank Ron T
Ibisbudget-Manager, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Southampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

On check in the woman was abrupt and rude, surprisingly could see through her long fake eyelashes and being able to type with her long nails. She demanded a 'deposit' of another room cost. This was apparently 'because it was the weekend' .. Lovely excuse! I put it down to a girley night away celebrating an 18th birthday and we obviously look like we would trash the place? 2 weeks on, and I have no recollection of the money being transferred back after being reassured that our money was all transferred back, and it was our banks problem. This 'deposit' was never mentioned nor in the small print. Be aware they will charge you for what they like! Nice one making interest on that Ibis Budget! Never staying again for trying to enjoy a weekend of celebrations end up being stung!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. Please feel free to email me on h6209-gm@accor.com if you’d like to discuss further.

Kind regards,
Gerardo Souto | General Manager | Ibis budget Southampton | 3 West Quay Road | Southampton | SO15 1RA

Reviewed 22 June 2014

“RUN RUN RUN AWAY”

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

What can I say about this hotel, urm, nothing. The shower cubicle is next to the bed, the toilet is behind the door, when you are about to get out of the shower, you see the notice for the shower mat, you have to go to reception to get one, then it warns you the floor is slippy when wet, NOT GOOD IF YOU ARE DISABLED, AND THEY DO PUT DISABLED ON THE HIGHER FLOORS. There are no brewing facilities in the rooms, and the brewing machine in the "café" downstairs is absolute rubbish. The bed wasn't made, the toilet was dirty, when we complained we were told that the toilet is only cleaned between guests, hmm, but the dirt around the toilet was so old, you would have needed a pan scrub to remove it. Now, THE BED, if we had put the mattress on the floor it couldn't have been any more uncomfortable, we stayed for 3 nights, I wish we would have pitched a tent on the car park, for which they charge £6 per night. NEVER EVER AGAIN WOULD I STAY AT AN IBIS, I think that stands for INCREDIBLY BAD INHOUSE SERVICE

1  Thank Chrissie A
Ibisbudget-Manager, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Southampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. I would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact me on 02380 227 705. Kind regards, Raphaella Yver, General Manager.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here for just the one night. Main attraction was that it was cheap. Absolutely no frills here. The bed was rock hard so it was difficult to get a good nights sleep. No closet for clothes - just some hanging space. No toiletries such as bath gel or shampoo, which could be an issue for travellers arriving by air. Room was a not a pleasant place to be - probably the closest thing you can get to staying in a prison cell.

Location is mediocre - just about walking distance to the main area for bars and restaurants (25 mins) although the shops are a bit closer. They have a car park, which incurs an additional charge. If finances are very tight, you could consider staying here but it seems there are other options which are not much more expensive.

Room Tip: Probably better off in higher floors
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for letting us know your thoughts and I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. We very much appreciate all your comments.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I made reservation online (and received confirmation and reserveration # by Accorhotels.com booking agent, Megan) in March for a one night stay on May 30 prior to a cruise from Southampton.

However, I arrived to the hotel after a 10+ hours flight without a room. Apparently, the booking agent made a mistake with the date. It was confirmed for May 31 (the departure date of my cruise!). I had to pay an additional £84 to get a room that night. As the manager wasn't on duty, Quita, the receptionist, promised that a refund of £84 will be made when he returns as the mistake wasn't mine. I've yet to receive a refund!

The room I got was extremely cramped! Prison would be more comfortable -- and, I had to pay £125.80 (£84 + the £41.80 that I originally paid for) for the one night pleasure! Avoid at all cost!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter H

Apologies that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I will look into this matter, but in the meantime, feel free to contact me on h6209-gm@accor.com if you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I wasn't expecting much but I got even less.
Main problems with room 403 were the dirty toilet (photo available) which had a clean stripe down the centre of the bowl but was brown on both sides! UGH.
Bath mat not supplied by default and when I'd got one and used it, it ended up filthy underneath because of the state of the floor. The used bath mat got taken away so I had to get another one from reception! It should have been replaced.
The rock hard bed which meant that we hardly slept for 3 nights.
The room key cards FAILED to work each night when we returned meaning a trip back in the slow lift to reception to get them re-magnetised.
WILL NEVER USE IBIS AGAIN.

2  Thank Tim A

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter, but feel free to email me on h6209-gm@accor.com to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here as was a reasonable price, however would have prefered to pay a little extra and have a good nights sleep. Beds as hard as a board at 5 am the bins were emptied from under our first floor window this had followed a noisy night from out side and in. Wouldn't return

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. We appreciate all feedback and rest assured we will look into this matter.