“WORST GUEST HOUSE IN UK”

Glenmore Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
Glenmore Guest House
Ranked #28 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed on 11th April 2012 in an en-suite the bathroom stank so much, the shower floor was filthy, dirty carpets and wallpaper, the cupboard had a lot of wires hanging lose. I was moved to another bedroom, slightly less smell but only a sink in the room. The ceiling light had burned at some stage, and the floor was a mess. The cupboard in this room also had a lot of lose wires.
I was unable to use the towels provided because they were so dirty I had to wipe myself on paper towels.
The breakfast was clean and very good.
The owner ran after me when I left and gave me £2.50 because I did not have an en-suite.
This was only £27.50 per night en-suite but it should have been clean.
I moved on to The Devere Harbour for the next 5 days attending the Titanic Celebrations, what a difference and I could not wait to have a shower.

NOT RECOMMENDED

Room Tip: I do not think that there were any good rooms so would advise others to avoid this one. Can I add...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Lezley V
There are newer reviews for Glenmore Guest House

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Far from public transport. Filthy rooms. Without receipt even after asking by mail three times. They simply don't reply to mails or calls or lie patently.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Sizigia
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Foolishy did not read reviews before going. The problems we found are well recorded and not new yet complete surprise was shown when mentioned. This could be a great place with a little investment replacing some of the things that have run their course which includes the owners mother!

We met the owner who was extremely pleasant but unfortunately also met her mother who was not pleasant and made us feel quite unwelcome to the extent that we dreaded going back for our second night. We also witnessed her rudeness to another guest which made us uncomfortable.

Issues were:-

No water in en suite
Cold in other shower
No lock on communal shower (which had to use as en suite not working but en suite was filthy so maybe that was a blessing - I even cleaned areas myself just to prove that they could be cleaned)
Bed only fit for the skip, felt hard base as mattress so worn and springs twanged even with minimal movement
Breakfast - was probably good at the time it was cooked but not when left for 2hrs kept warm before serving
Was given the time to vacate room but cleaner had different time and asked us to leave, there and then, at much earlier time than stated. After the the shoddy welcome we then felt like we were being evicted!

For the price, we were not expecting luxury just leanliness, comfort and good hospitality.

Very disappointing when this placecould be an absolute goldmine.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alien4277
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We are unable to understand some of the very harsh reviews about this B & B. We were greeted by the owner's mother who we found to be pleasant and welcoming. The B & B was spotlessly clean and yes some areas needed slight updating. Our breakfast was good and served by the owner's mother who was most helpful and provided just what we needed. This B & B is extremely good value for money. I would suggest that those wanting such items as percolated coffee and 5 star accommodation should stay in a five star establishment and pay 5 star prices. For our overnight stay prior to a Cruise holiday it was fine. We would certainly use this guest house again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank MDP36
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Don’t bother with the Glenmore! It’s a squalid, uncomfortable and unwelcoming place. The owner’s mother greeted us sourly, the room was tiny, and over furnished with useless chests and wires all over the place, a safety nightmare. The hospitality tray had dirty, sticky cups and there was only enough for one hot drink per person. The ensuite was tiny, grubby and there was mould in the shower. The mattress was old, lumpy and you could feel the springs in your back. We were made to feel unwelcome every time we asked for advice, directions or information (all usually part of B&B service). This place survives thanks to its misleading website and poor folk like us that are no more than cruise ship fodder to the Glenmore.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Backyard_sailor
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I have literally just come back from staying here overnight, myself and my husband went down for the night to look at places to rent as we are soon to move down. One great thing was that we could arrive as early as 11am, which was perfect for us as we'd just driven for two and a half hours.

I found the room to be lovely, the bed linen was really nice and the room had been decorated lovely, as had the bathroom, although we had an ensuit my husband chose to use the bathroom as we only had a shower.

The comments about breakfast on this site are unfair, yes the website does offer a choice, and unfortunately we were not offered a choice, though I expect if this were mentioned the problem would be sorted. There was a great choice of cereal, the milk was stored in a small fridge along with the fruit juice and so was lovely and cold. The breakfast cooked breakfast was smaller than I'd have liked eg 1 rasher of bacon not two, however it was well cooked and tasted great. There was plenty of toast available which was brought to the table lovely and hot and plenty of butter and jam.

If you're looking for luxury then this isn't it, but then it is not advertised as a luxury b&b! If you're looking for something affordable, relaxed and pleasent then this is it.

I would, and have already, recomend this place to others.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Happy_Mooey
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I stayed at this B & B whilst on business. I had no high expectations which was good and I got what I expected. The house from outside looks quite run down, however inside the rooms are decorated very nicely and the shared bathrooms are in excellent condition. I was more than impressed with the decor and my single room, although small, had a comfy bed and a television. What more could I really ask for the small amount I paid per night? The breakfast was very nice, I had the cereal on the first morning but I believe it is given with UHT milk (eugh!) so I had the cooked breakfast instead..which was very good. This place is BUDGET accomodation and for what you pay it is very good value. My own negative would be that the older lady who I dealt with came accross as quite unpleasant and very grumpy. Its in an excellent location and about ten minutes walk from the main shopping centre. I would recommend this B & B for those on a budget who want a clean, simple and quiet place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business