“I felt home”

Glenmore Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
Glenmore Guest House
Ranked #28 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 January 2010

It's a very nice guest house, very clean, silent , and the value is really good, The room was nice, very clean and I felt fine,.I didn't have any problem with my reservation.
Breakfast is excellent , well cooked .

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Glenmore Guest House

Reviewed 14 November 2009

Recently stayed at the Glenmore with my husband as an overnight stay before boarding our cruiseliner. We were welcomed by a helpful lady Paula, who showed us to our room and offered to carry our cases for us. She explained where the dining room and lounge were, on the way to our room we passed the lovely bathrooms and shower room. Before leaving us in our room Paula asked if we needed any further information about the surrounding area.

We settled into our room and then went out for dinner at one of the nearby restaurants. having had a lovely meal we returned to our comfortable room to have a nice nights sleep. In the morning we had a hearty breakfast. We chose the english breakfast that was more than ample.

We would recommend anyone looking for a nice, clean and reasonable priced guest house to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jones_april44
Reviewed 21 October 2009

If it wasn't for the fact that we didn't arrive until 8pm and it was too late to find somewhere else, we would have done a runner! The women who opened the door was miserable, the room was disgusting. Old furniture, threadbare carpet, peeling wallpaper and a nasty smell. We couldn't even face using the bathroom. Easily the worst place I have ever stayed, and I wish I had read the reviews before I booked.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Springer
Reviewed 27 September 2009

the door was opened by an older lady with an extremely miserable countenance and manner. the hall and stairs was carpeted by a really horrible thin, ragged and much tacked down carpet, we just wanted to run away at this point! we were led on and on and on past lots of separate toilets and bathrooms, quite strange, right to the back of the house. the ensuite was small and basic, which wouldn't have mattered apart from the two frightening cream hairy cushions that were 'decorating' the bed. they actually smelt horrible so we pushed them into a corner facing the wall...sitting or lying on the bed allowed us to discover the worst mattress we had ever encountered - the sort where any body part just goes straight down to the hard bed base.
there was another bedroom door directly adjacent to ours, and strangely a shower room standing in the hall directly behind our en suite. these two things were the source of massive disruption in the early hours -
our window overlooked an unkempt back garden with a van parked in it. in the early hours of the next morning, i was woken up from a half- sleep by a vehicle engine running. after about ten minutes of hearing talking and activity, i peered out and saw another big van being unloaded by two men wearing fluorescent tabards, unloading work gear from the van. i think the engine was kept running so that they could see what they were doing by van light. i was so relieved when it all quietened down after 15 mins. but worse to come...we heard the older man talking and laughing to a woman in the house, something about the younger man and his work. then horror of horrors, they tramped up to the room adjacent to ours. did it end then? no.
first one then the other came in and out of the room a few times (each time letting the door slam and the yale lock, so that they would unlock it with the key each time). they went up and down the stairs a few times and each had a shower in the afore mentioned shower room in the hall behind ours. water cisterns all a go etc. i nearly went mad with frustration for the best part of an hour. we really felt they were something to do with the owners, so it was inexcusable.
now the bit where anyone having the misfortune to choose this B&B gets caught...the photographs have been taken very well and mostly show the only bit of the house that seems to have been refurbished - the breakfast area. that looks as it is shown on their website, and so is very misleading about the standard of the B&B as a whole.
breakfast is very average with the now common hash browns, which are NOT part of an english breakfast, and i wish people would stop including them! when i asked if a grilled tomato was part of the full english on offer, i got a blunt 'no'. happily she came back a few minutes later and said she could do me one if i wanted and would my husband like one as well. i was amazed! it was the only positive point.
the B&B was quite cheap, but that shouldn't mean such poor hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I have stayed at the Glenmore at least twice in the last three months and this guest house has met my all requirements.

The rooms I have had booked were very clean, the bed very comfortable and the bedding crisp & fresh.

The room has all necessary amenities T.V, Tea making facilities etc and the lounge and breakfast area was most impressive and tidy.

The English breakfast served was hot and more than edible (more than I say for many others I’ve stayed in) with large amounts of tea & toast upon request.

I travel extensively and have stayed in many so called ‘reasonably priced’ guest houses, this one is quiet and respectable…I don’t need to worry about getting a good nights sleep and very close to the city centre, train station and restaurants.

Happy to book again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2009

My partner and i was visting Southampton to vist a cruise ship for the day so we thought we would make a weekend of it, so after much research on the internet for a b/b we came across the Glenmore, it seemed very nice on internet... dont be fooled by photo's, dont get me wrong it is very clean an the owners have done their best to modernise it.
We emailed the lady called Paula on a number of occasions so we thought she would be quiet awear of our request on arrival, we requested a en-suite double room for two nights, when we arrived we was shown to our room by Paula on route she was pointing out the bathroom's, toilets, shower rooms, which i thought strange but when we entered our room it all fell in to place, we was given a family room minus en-suite so when i said we requested a double ensuite the reply we got was 'oh did you?' luckly my other half had printed the e-mail that confirmed our request so she went an checked her records an returned to say 'oh yes sorry my mistake you are booked in here for tonight but the double ensuite tomorrow night'. as it was already occuiped we decied to stay, the room it self was clean but the lamp didnt work an the control did not work the tv. Now breakfast well dont expect too much, you get one sausage, one rasher of bacon, a fried egg, baked beans an two slices of mushroom which to us wasnt the normal breakfast for a b/b as we have stayed in a few in our time, you do get toast, fruit juice an cearal but you are not shown where it is, dont expect to get much conversation from the owners as you dont get it, we only saw Paula when she showed us to our room then it was her mum who we must say is not the happiest of people apart from when we was paying the bill, it was as if she was happy to be getting rid of us. There is plenty of b/b along Hill Lane so check these out first.On a possitive side it is very close for the cruise terminal, shops, railyway station.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I am someone who likes to be positive about things in life and i was looking forward to my stay here but was sadly very disappointed with it.

The website for the bed and breakfast is quite good and all of the contact i had with the proprietors pre-stay was great. Paula was the name of the person i was in contact with and she always responded to my enquiries promptly, professionally and in detail. Booking the room was easy and i thought the rates were quite reasonable - i got a 5% discount as i was visiting the university. The only request of me was that i telephone in advance during my journey there to confirm my expected arrival time (i couldn't confirm before as i had a 7 hour drive to get there and really wasn't sure when it would be).

The day of my stay arrived and i telephoned when i was 2 hours away from arriving. The person i spoke to on the phone wasn't Paula, it was her mother, and she was extremely abrupt with me on the phone. I said i would be arriving in very close to 2 hours time and she said this wasn't good enough and wanted a more exact estimate. I gave her one but arrived 30 minutes before this at around 4.40pm. I didn't get a very warm welcome and even though i am perfectly willing to transport my own luggage, an offer of help to carry my heavy suitcase up the 4 flights of stairs to my room would have been nice!

The room i had was nice in itself. I booked a single room with wash basin and shared bathroom. The whole bed and breakfast was very clean and was nicely decorated. The room facilities weren't as good as in other places i've stayed...for example, there was no ironing facility or hairdryer, but i had the basic things that i needed. One negative about my particular room was that there wasn't a proper curtain, just a net, and it faced the main road......therefore, it never got very dark in there at night because of streetlights shining through the window and it was always noisy with the traffic. Thankfully, i'm a heavy sleeper.

After unpacking, i went to explore the guest house a little as i wasn't told where the bathrooms were or if there was a lounge or something. I found the lounge......there was a little girl in there, who immediately addressed me by my first name and asked me if i'd watch TV with her. Some people may find it nice that this girl knew my name but i found it unprofessional that the little girl had been told my first name and was allowed to address me this way (she turned out to be the neice of the owners). When i said i had to make some phone calls and wanted to have a rest (i had literally just arrived after driving for hours) the girl seemed quite stroppy because i wouldn't watch the TV with her. I then found the woman who had shown me to my room and asked if there were any DVDs available to watch (TVs and players were provided in the rooms). The response that i got was a vacant stare, a look that conveyed that she considered me some sort of idiot and then "no."

As a bed and breakfast doesn't usually serve an evening meal, guests were welcome to bring takeaways to their rooms, which i did on one occasion. When i asked if i could have some cutlery the response was again extremely blunt......i was told abruptly to get myself some from one of the tables in the breakfast room. During this request, a male guest approached me and asked that i go out and eat with him and then go for drinks with him. Although it isn't the responsibility of the guest house to vet their guests or to be completely responsible for guests' personal safety, i was quite upset that the owners just let this middle-aged man pester me (and it was pestering, not just polite requests) when i was a 19 year old girl staying alone there miles from anywhere i knew. It made me feel quite unsafe.

My major complaint above all else about this guest house concerns the breakfast. Although a good range of cold/continental items are advertised on the website, the only things available were 2 types of fruit juice and two types of cereal. Therefore, the breakfast choice was either cereal or the hot option. I had some of both each day to fill me up as i had very long and busy days whilst i was there..............as i said, i like to try and be postive but the hot options were what i could only describe as horrible. That is because everything was pre-cooked and then microwaved. Each day, i only wanted eggs and beans on toast so i can't comment on the meat aspects of the cooked breakfast. Obviously, it is perfectly OK to microwave baked beans but the eggs were foul and made me feel quite ill, in particular the fried eggs. They were literally like plastic eggs one might find in a child's play kitchen because they were so overdone and dry and even though i was hungry i just couldn't finish them.

During breakfast the little girl i had encountered in the lounge kept wandering through the dining room half dressed in her school uniform and moaning loudly that she didn't want to go to school. At one point the woman who i had had all of my dealings with at the guest house came out of the kitchen and started shouting at the girl telling her to "shut up and just go to bed then!"

When staying somewhere for a few days you obviously need to wash.........i only tried one of the three showers available and was shocked because even though the bathroom looked very nice and clean (except for the large hole in the ceiling above the shower caused by severe damp) the shower wouldn't work properly. I would compare the shower i had, in all seriousness, to letting a small child pour a toy watering can of water over your head, having blocked up most of the holes in the spout first! During my entire stay at the guest house i couldn't get any hot water except out of the kettle! No matter how long i ran the taps for in the bathrooms or my bedroom there was just no hot water.

The positive thing about this guest house is that it is very easy to find coming into Southampton as it is just off the main road into the town centre. It is literally a 2-3 minute walk to the train station, which is exactly what i needed. It is a 5 minute walk from all of the local takeaways, shops and restaurants, and is a 5 minute drive into the main town and from the university. There is plenty of parking which is all lit in some way.

A nice thing i experienced was two men who lived at the guest house (not sure which part of the family there were!) driving to the university so that i could follow them and get to the right building for my interview without making any mistakes and being late. This was out of their way but they did it anyway out of kindness.

I did experience some friendliness from the staff............but that was when i was making my payment!!!

Overall and to summarise, this guest house looks very nice.....online, upon first contact, and in itself. However, on arrival and during your stay, don't expect to feel very welcomed, don't expect things to work and don't expect a nice, fresh breakfast. There are literally a hundred other guest houses very close by (2 hotels are right next door) so i would highly recommend staying at those instead. When i was staying somewhere far from home for a week and had some long and testing days ahead of me it would have been nice to have somewhere to go back to where i felt welcomed, relaxed and cosy. Instead, i just wanted to go home and be around friendly people where there were showers that worked and edible food. I am disappointed that i never got to meet the lady who had taken my booking or dealt with every single one of my phone calls and emails because she seemed different to the staff i met there. I am beginning to wonder if she actually exists.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business