“Squalid and depressing, stay away!”

Glenmore Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
Glenmore Guest House
Ranked #28 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Wales, United Kingdom
“Squalid and depressing, stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

Don’t bother with the Glenmore! It’s a squalid, uncomfortable and unwelcoming place. The owner’s mother greeted us sourly, the room was tiny, and over furnished with useless chests and wires all over the place, a safety nightmare. The hospitality tray had dirty, sticky cups and there was only enough for one hot drink per person. The ensuite was tiny, grubby and there was mould in the shower. The mattress was old, lumpy and you could feel the springs in your back. We were made to feel unwelcome every time we asked for advice, directions or information (all usually part of B&B service). This place survives thanks to its misleading website and poor folk like us that are no more than cruise ship fodder to the Glenmore.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Backyard_sailor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Milton Keynes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

I have literally just come back from staying here overnight, myself and my husband went down for the night to look at places to rent as we are soon to move down. One great thing was that we could arrive as early as 11am, which was perfect for us as we'd just driven for two and a half hours.

I found the room to be lovely, the bed linen was really nice and the room had been decorated lovely, as had the bathroom, although we had an ensuit my husband chose to use the bathroom as we only had a shower.

The comments about breakfast on this site are unfair, yes the website does offer a choice, and unfortunately we were not offered a choice, though I expect if this were mentioned the problem would be sorted. There was a great choice of cereal, the milk was stored in a small fridge along with the fruit juice and so was lovely and cold. The breakfast cooked breakfast was smaller than I'd have liked eg 1 rasher of bacon not two, however it was well cooked and tasted great. There was plenty of toast available which was brought to the table lovely and hot and plenty of butter and jam.

If you're looking for luxury then this isn't it, but then it is not advertised as a luxury b&b! If you're looking for something affordable, relaxed and pleasent then this is it.

I would, and have already, recomend this place to others.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happy_Mooey
Midhurst, West Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

I stayed at this B & B whilst on business. I had no high expectations which was good and I got what I expected. The house from outside looks quite run down, however inside the rooms are decorated very nicely and the shared bathrooms are in excellent condition. I was more than impressed with the decor and my single room, although small, had a comfy bed and a television. What more could I really ask for the small amount I paid per night? The breakfast was very nice, I had the cereal on the first morning but I believe it is given with UHT milk (eugh!) so I had the cooked breakfast instead..which was very good. This place is BUDGET accomodation and for what you pay it is very good value. My own negative would be that the older lady who I dealt with came accross as quite unpleasant and very grumpy. Its in an excellent location and about ten minutes walk from the main shopping centre. I would recommend this B & B for those on a budget who want a clean, simple and quiet place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Dover
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

The carpets in all the public areas should have been replaced about 20 years ago. The bathroom carpets were equally as bad.

The dowdy paint on the wallpaper made the house look even more depressing and should be a bright white or very pale colour(s).
Our little bathroom hadn't even been cleaned, the taps were filthy and the toilet had all hairs around it - ugh !!

The wardrobe and chest of drawers were the cheapest you'd ever seen and the bed, well, I'm sure would have been uncomfortable 40 years ago.

No heating and the fan-heater worked for about 20 seconds and then turned off for about 10 minutes, so as useful as a chocolate teapot.

The breakfast seemed like it had either been cooked the night before and warmed up (but only warmed up, not hot), or cooked an hour or so previously and left in the (turned off) oven, then the fried egg cooked and plonked on top.

The website stated various choices, but none offered - no brown/wholemeal bread, no tomatoes, just baked beans and all very tepid; hardly a hot breakfast.

It should not be allowed to have a web-site that looks so inviting, but the reality is so opposite.
I should have noticed that it wasn't inspected or graded - we won't make that mistake again.

Do yourself a favour and don't stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lindenrog

Travellers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Leics. UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

As a previous reviewer said, the photographs have been taken to present the guest house in the most favourable light.
Plus points - it's at the bottom end of the price market for a B&B (which should be a warning sign). Off road parking available. Breakfast adequate.
On the negative side - the exterior - shabby and unwelcoming. Interior corridors and stairs - old carpeting, visibly tacked down at points and some frayed edges, couple of bare lightbulbs. In the dining room, which was quite pleasantly decorted, the chandeliers clearly hadn't been cleaned for some time.
Our bedroom (double en-suite) was just OK - quite small, with wardrobe, chest of drawers, TV and two bedside cabinets. No bedside light but a tall lamp in the corner. Bed reasonably comfortable, pillows - a synthetic one and tired old feather one each. En-suite - tiny - shower, v.small washbasin and toilet. Not very clean especially around base of taps and in shower. Toilet did not re-fill after flushing very efficiently and it took ages to get very sporadic hot water in the electric shower. No mirror in bedroom.
Breakfast - served quickly and was hot - coffee not percolated but instant, scrambled eggs microwaved rather than pan cooked but nice wholemeal toast.
Overall I would not recommend Glenmore unless you are on a really tight budget - having said that if the oweners were to read the reviews all of the issues could be rectified quite easily. As to location we actually drove to get something to eat so I can't comment on the proximity of restaurants but we certainly didn't see any close by. I feel well qualified to comment on the above as I own a guest house myself which is 4 star rated by Visit Britain.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank N-RoMa
devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

Do not understand some of the previous reviews!
Made welcome, room was very clean, breakfast was lovely and all the staff were very polite and were helpful especially when I needed information regarding the local amenities .
I would say this B & B is very good value for money and I would have no problem recommending it to anyone looking for good location, value and friendliness.
I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
bubblesnix
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

The website is VERY misleading..!!

The lady who dealt with me could hardly crack a smile and was unhelpful throughout. Her customer service left a lot to be desired... I struggled with my bags up the stairs and was led into a dingy room. The room was like an ice box - absolutely freezing cold - and the carpet was threadbare. The 'en-suite' was a shower room and toilet squeezed into a tiny space (think train toilet) and the 'door' was broken.

The bed springs could be felt through the matress and the matress virtually caved in with any weight whatsoever.

Both nights, I had to contend with someone snoring VERY loudly and each morning I was woken at 6am by a man coughing his guts up and wretching very loudly. Disgusting! I realise this isn't the fault of the owners, but this did not help with the overall experience.

To be fair, the water was hot and the shower reasonably powerful. The bedding was clean and the bathroom was cleaned daily too. However, I could not have a cup of tea as the mug was filthy.

Breakfast was not very good - the cereal was served with UHT milk (!) and the toast was cold. I daren't try the cooked breakfast.

The only time the staff appeared to be helpful was when I was paying!! To be fair, I was served by different staff so maybe they would've been helpful if I'd been dealing with them the whole time. Who knows...

Overall, a poor experience... Don't be fooled by the website. Pay £4 - £5 more to stay at one of the other many good B&Bs in Southampton.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business