“Wonderful experience”

Anaheim, California
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

What a delight!
My wife and I had booked a cruise embarking from Southampton and we looked for a place to stay overnight prior to the trip. We found the Mayfair on-line and the three P’s I use in selecting accommodations, Place, Photos and Price all proved their worth again. The Mayfair is on a quiet street (with free parking), near a host of storefront businesses and restaurants. The photos of the rooms looked charming (and in fact were), and prices were reasonable and included a full English breakfast.
An additional P will be added to my search criteria– Personality. Our hosts Mark and Andy were warm and welcomed us as if we were old friends. They provided us with tips and suggestions (including a visit to Downton Abbey (Highclere Castle) that made our time based in Southampton very special.
We had planned an additional five days in Cardiff upon our return from our cruise but in my correspondence with Mark making the original reservation, I was so impressed by his thoughtfulness and openness that we decided to stay at the Mayfair when we returned. Upon our return, we were welcomed back and felt as though we were in fact, old friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms and both were comfortable. The rooms were clean, cozy, bright and w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Edward E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband was with me at The Mayfair for one night after which he was accommodated at the Spire Hospital, leaving me a "solo traveller" in a town with which I was not at all familiar. I felt completely at home in my delightful, pristine room; came and went as I pleased, walking into the city centre as well as driving to the The New Forest and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere over breakfast - served cheerfully by Andy while Mark beavered away in the kitchen to satisfy the requirements of each guest. They are a great team who put an enormous amount of thought and care into their business. I'm looking for an excuse to return and would recommend The Mayfair without hesitation.
Do read MarggyCanberra's review.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Hicadee
Ryde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My mother stayed at the Mayfair whilst my father underwent heart surgery at the Spire hospital. The Mayfair combines elegance with a home from home feel. My mother was really well looked after, breakfast was lovely. The decor is spotless and the service is superb, attentive and caring. Thank you, would not hesitate to recommend

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Joeley M
Devon
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Like other reviewers we booked The Mayfair on the recommendation of others and were not disappointed. We received a very warm welcome and our room was lovely and very comfortable. Mark recommended a very nice place for an evening meal and the next morning, as we were off on a cruise, stored our cases until later in the morning when our taxi took us to the cruise terminal. The Mayfair is situated in an ideal spot and we would definitely recommend a stay. We would not hesitate to make a further booking when necessary.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We booked the Mayfair Guest House on the strength of the other reviews and was not disappointed. It fitted the bill for us as we were going on a cruise the next day and the dock parking was a 5 min drive away. A warm and friendly welcome from Mark who talked us through a street map of Southampton and gave us lots of tips of where to shop and eat. Our room was a family room ensuite and it was immaculately clean and tastefully furnished. We had a very good breakfast the next morning. Mark & Andy were excellent hosts and even offered us the use of their sitting room after we had checked out. Overall it was an excellent stay and would not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I booked my room at The Mayfair way back in January following the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and the glowing reviews are well deserved.

Mark welcomed me with a lovely cup of tea and biscuits in the beautifully appointed lounge. After giving me some ideas of places to go for dinner he showed me to my room (Room 7) and left me to settle in.

The room was very spacious, tastefully decorated and with the comfiest bed imaginable !

After one of the best night's sleep I've had in a long time - I went down for breakfast, cooked by 'masterchef' Andy, in the small but very welcoming dining room. Nothing was too much trouble and it really set me up for the day. Mark rang me my taxi for my onward trip to the port and I left refreshed, well fed and relaxed for my holidays.

Every wonderful review this guest house has received is well deserved. Mark and Andy are friendly, warm and welcoming and they have obviously put a lot of love, thought and care into making a beautiful home from home for visitors. This is definitely be the ONLY place I will stay when I'm in the area. Thanks guys.

Room Tip: Room 7 is at the front and is a spacious en-suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
RIchmond, VA
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in early July. Mark and Andy are the perfect hosts, making our family stay a wonderful one. We picked this guest house based upon trip advisor excellent recommendations and they were correct.
It is located within walking distance to the train station, shopping, restaurants and the theatre (we were able to see the opening night of "The Lion King" while we were here).
Please note this is a bed and breakfast for those of you who are expecting a hotel.
The rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast was cooked to order each morning. Some rooms are larger than others and with Mark's advise we booked a larger room as we were traveling with our 16 year old son before setting sail on a cruise.
We definitely recommend staying here and will be back next year!

Room Tip: Ask Mark, tell him what you are looking for and he will put you in the room that best suits your nee...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family