“Great night out”
Review of Coco Rio Restaurant - CLOSED

Coco Rio Restaurant
Price range: US$1 - US$40
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Serving exceptional fresh cuisine and offering a wonderful atmostphere of tropical magic. A beautiful restaurant with a very high standard of friendly service. Enjoying excelent repeat custom and constantly growing clientele from a gaining a fabulous reputation. Enjoy a romantic evening or a great party.Coco Rio also caters for private fuctions and weddings up to 100 guests.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great night out”
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Most of the above reviews can only be lies as my family and I had the most amazing food not forgetting the outstanding service. I was very pleased with the whole night would recommend coco rio to anyone.

1 Thank Mcblive

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Average and then Annoyed at Management Belligerence”
Reviewed 8 March 2011

The staff were welcoming, but after being seated they took orders, but this is not what I would call excellent service, it is their job.

We had issues with one meal and they could not provide the potatoes on the menu with the chicken. Still the 8 of us drank and enjoyed, it was a birthday party.

The issue came when we came to pay, 5 couples spending £400, we agreed each couple would put £100 on the credit cards, but no, there is a limit to 2 card transactions for parties. This was discussed with the management who was frankly rude to our party, insisting we were all aware on the booking form, and even got a blank one for us.

This lead us to re-examine the bill and then noticed the 10% service charge for the large party. We then proceeded to argue this as we all rooted around for cash, we got enough cash to pay for the meal without the service charge and whilst still arguing we left. The beligerence of the management to process cards with a heavy tip ruined the meal, and lead to us not wanting to pay the obligatory tip because of the poor service - the meal service was fine, the management and paying service was however rude. So it cost them over £100 that night, but not only that we all said we liked it, but the management soured our experience and none of us would ever return ultimately costing them £1000's - how is that good business? Oh well, only themselves to blame.

• Visited March 2011
5 Thank weaveriski
“OMG”
Reviewed 23 December 2010

this place was s**t!!!!!!!!!!!!!, took my staff for a xmas meal, had to pay a deposit for each person so was expecting it to be busy, but come to that later. Arrived thinkin i had gone back in time to the cave man years, no heating, no lighting (well not enough for me to see what i was eating anyway, not that there was much of it).
The starter (duck) was like two slices of ham, which arrived cold and without even a smile, main was okay but seemed as though it had just been heated in the microwave, desert was again to small for my liking, all this took just over an hour and the cheek of it was the waiters started to put their coates on while we were eating our main, obviously to hurry us up! and the bill £170 between 4 of us and on the way home i had to stop off for a kebab. please please do not go to this restaurant, i dont usually write reviews, but this place was so bad i had to warn people!!!!1

2 Thank s17tyd
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing - Going down hill.”
Reviewed 14 December 2010

We'd been to the restaurant before; the service was a bit slow but the food was good, we've even tried copying one of the dishes at home we enjoyed it that much, so when a friend suggested we all went there for a xmas meal it seemed a good idea.

The waiter asked for our drinks order before we'd even sat down, when asked to come back in 5 mins he came back 30 seconds later to see if we'd decided yet. The bottles of wine were just dumped on the table, no one was offered a taste, he didn't pour the first round of drinks and there was no cooler for the white wine.

When the starter turned up I thought I was going to have to get a KFC on the way home. It was barely a mouthful but tasty enough. I had lamb for main course which was a little over cooked but the accompanying vegetable were either burnt or only identifiable by colour..mostly. Apparently the vegetarian option was dry and when we asked for some more sauce to offset the dryness the waiter proudly bought us a jug of lamb gravy....for the vegetarian option.

It was at this point a strange woman sat down at our table and asked if we were going to behave ourselves tonight....who are you ? Seems this was the overly familiar owner. I digress, the deserts were back to the portion size of the starters...a minced pie size individual xmas pudding or 3 crackers and a bit of cheese.

With the extra we had to pay for tea/coffee afterwards it worked out at almost £50 per head and we all felt a little robbed afterwards..all in the name of xmas.

I understand that restaurants get busy at xmas time but given that the restaurant was half full and that we'd given our menu choices in advance they could have done a lot better.

Things have changed since our first visit, suffice to say our xmas meal will be our last visit to Coco Rio.

3 Thank Grumpy_Engineer
Southampton
“plummeting downhill - everything was dreadful”
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Visited last night for my sisters Birthday. To begin with we were rushed and the waitress explained that they were under staffed. We should have left at this point as it only got worse.
We began ordering, two of us wanted the Belly Pork as it sounded great and five of us wanted Rib Eye Steaks. As she took the last order, another waiter popped up and whispered to ours that they were out of Belly Pork. 1 minute later they decided that they had also ran out of Rib Eye Steaks.
Anyway, I ordered a Medium Sirloin and they served me a Rare - I sent it back whilst she served everyone else then I was re- served the same rare Sirloin (told that it was Medium) that was also incredibly gristly. It was completely undercooked abd very bloody.
At no point did the waitress visit the table to check that the meal was fine and being hungry, I plodded through and ate half the steak and the chips - Oh, I must say the Field Mushroom that was advertised looked to me more like Tesco Value Mushroom.
We asked for the bill which had had a 10% (about £25) service charge added which we paid and I gave the restauraunt the chance to redeem themselves . They were more interested in not accepting responsibility and arguing.

You can see from my previous reviews that I've previously raved about this place. It's such a shame to see that it has gone so downhill so quickly. I'll forward a copy of this to the owner and post any comments.

3 Thank xioly