“Very Expensive drinks Avoid of you can”
Review of Cargo

Cargo
Ranked #10 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Southampton
“Very Expensive drinks Avoid of you can”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Didn't stay in the hotel but had a drink and moved on pretty quick cos we got a pimms and a beer and it came to £12.80.
I don't mind paying a bit more cos of the location and it's a hotel but I think £6+ for a drink is a bit steep.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Saintscott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Hebrew first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed here for one night and received a lovely warm welcome from Dee and Stuart. Despite arriving late, the chef stayed and cooked a delicious meal for us. We stayed in the loft which was impeccably clean and the 3 children had loads of space in the sofa bed. Our bed was really comfy too with lovely crisp sheets. Would highly recommend Cargo and look forward to staying here again soon. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Salisbury
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We have stayed at Cargo before. The rooms have always been really nice but we have only stayed on first floor rooms 1-5.. On latest rip we noticed a real "step up" in service... From check in to breakfast and check out we were looked after brilliantly. Free high speed wireless internet much appreciated!!! (take note Jury's!!) If we had to look really hard for a negative... the £3 charge for a cooked breakfast (which we did have and was fantastic) rather than continental seems a little un-necessary.. Overall we give it 5 out of 5 and will be back soon !!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Stourbridge
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I was looking for a city centre hotel this trip as I was travelling with a colleague & was meeting a client in the city - this normally presents problems for me as this generally means the hotels are "beige", boring, generic, insulting with awful staff & extremely overpriced (take note Premier Hotel, Travelodge, Durys Inn, Novahotel, Ibis etc etc). I took a chance on Cargo as the reviews did seem to be good - I'm so glad I did, it was brilliant! I think its only recently been converted into a hotel so they are just getting going. I managed to park outside which meant it was free between 6-8 so no probs there (there are lots of car parks nearby) I was shown upto my room & it was lovely - big room & bed, well appointed & a beautiful bathroom with a huge shower. Hotel is perfectly located too - especially if you were having a "girly" weekend away - Oxford St is fab for lovely restaurants & bars & all within a 2 min walk so very safe. I hear its the where all the footballers drink too (if you're into that sort of thing which I'm not) but dont let that put you off - the Grapes down the road is apparently where the Captain of the Titanic had his last drink before setting sail so there's all sorts of memorabilia in there & no loud music. Lovely breakfast in the hotel in the morning - I really cant fault Cargo - I really great hotel, good value for money, good breakfast & a perfect city centre location. Will definately be staying again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I stayed in this venue at the end of October after looking for accommodation within this area. On first impressions I was very impressed with the quality of the service I received when I first booked my accommodation. This quality of service was only to get better as we encountered a couple of issues to which the staff were more than happy to resolve. We found the rooms to offer the basic requirements for our stay but that the quality of the bathrooms were top class. My only issue would be that the website states the rooms offer tea & coffee facilities in each room but we did not have this facility within our room. The venue is in great location if you are looking to get out and about in lively area. I was impressed with the staff and how they are more than happy to resolve any issue we had and was extremely impressed with the complimentary breakfast we received as a result of the issues we had reported. The quality of food at breakfast was to high class and based on the prices on the menu very worth while.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 14 September 2010

The inn is on Oxford Street which is a busy social area of Southampton with several restaurants and bars. The room was clean and stylish with nothing which could be criticised.

We faced the street which meant there was quite a lot of noise on Friday evening although people dispersed quickly at around 01:00, and it was relatively peaceful on Saturday night.

The included breakfast was fine if a little uninspiring; some croissants, pastries and fruit salad would make a difference.

Overall would recommend as a base to visit Southampton, and the price seemed very reasonable for the level of accommodation and location.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Southampton
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Stayed at Cargo for a leaving party with my wife. Had a lovely double room at the front, nice toiletries, and tea & coffee tray, lovely menu in the evening to chose from, either sharing platters which we opted for or full blown steak and chips type meal. Lovely hot food and well presented. Staff are really helpful and friendly, full marks to Dave Pearson the General Manager for looking after us so well, great bloke, knows how to run a bar, it was packed and buzzing. They had a live music earlier in the evening which was really nice whilst we were eating,Good selection of wines, cocktails and beer of course. Definitely will be back to stay again, the cargo breakfast was brilliant, red hot and not greasy, just how we like it...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple