“A Modern Bar with an eating area and rooms”
Review of Cargo

Cargo
Ranked #10 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“A Modern Bar with an eating area and rooms”
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This place is in a great location for eating out with lots of bars and eateries near by.
Our room was done out in a shaker style but also came with a superb bathroom , the staff were friendly and the optional cooked breakfast excellent. The continental breakfast was very basic with nasty orange juice bread 4 cereals jams and thats about it.

Our room No 7 up several flights of stairs had a rather dirty carpet but in every other way was great.

To sum up not a bad place let down by poor cleaning

Room Tip: Stairs are narrow and steep
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Hebrew first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Stayed in this 'hotel' last week and, now having read the comments submitted by others, am totally confused. In spite of the seemingly unanimous chorus of approval, my experience was entirely different. Fawlty Towers had nothing on this place. Shower not fully working and constituted a health and safety hazard, no curtains and blinds which would not pull shut without assistance from the proprietor. Carpets of dubious provenance and which had hardly seen a vacuum for months. Broken toilet seat adding to the general picture of boutique delapidation. No TV remote in the room.

To be fair, complaints were made and the evening meal was offered gratis. However, this does NOT compensate for the tawdry experience. What foreign visitors must make of this makeshift establishment beats me. We had previously stayed at the White Star and it is far better than Cargo.

The food, described in the self publicity blurb as exceptional, certainly was not. I would neither recommend this hotel/guesthouse or whatever other description is offered to anyone, neither will I trouble its management with further enquiries as to availability.

I actually think that Southampton Trading Standards or similar body concerned with the hotel industry should thoroughly check out the experience of this hotel and compare that with the publicity blurb.

I can only imagine that some of the comments made in your website have come from people with little experience of clean, comfortable and affordable hotel rooms.

In the words of the late departed Noel Coward....'Magnificent isn't the word for it!'

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Douglas P
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2011

After not being able to get into the White Star I decided to reserve a room at Cargo.

There are many parallels between Cargo and the White Star - similar concept and offering, similar layout and room sizes, plus both venues transition from being a restaurant into more of a drinking establishment as the night progresses.

I think that overall Cargo has the edge over the White Star. This is primarily down to the excellent customer service. My check-in was handled promptly and I was shown to my room and made to feel very welcome by a member of the bar staff. We ate in the bar and had several rounds of drinks - all excellent value and delivered by attentive staff.

Breakfast the following morning was a delight and good value compared to the White Star. Check-out was seamless and the staff seemed interested in whether we had enjoyed our time at Cargo.

So top marks to Cargo. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2011
Southampton
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Didn't stay in the hotel but had a drink and moved on pretty quick cos we got a pimms and a beer and it came to £12.80.
I don't mind paying a bit more cos of the location and it's a hotel but I think £6+ for a drink is a bit steep.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Saintscott
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed here for one night and received a lovely warm welcome from Dee and Stuart. Despite arriving late, the chef stayed and cooked a delicious meal for us. We stayed in the loft which was impeccably clean and the 3 children had loads of space in the sofa bed. Our bed was really comfy too with lovely crisp sheets. Would highly recommend Cargo and look forward to staying here again soon. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Salisbury
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We have stayed at Cargo before. The rooms have always been really nice but we have only stayed on first floor rooms 1-5.. On latest rip we noticed a real "step up" in service... From check in to breakfast and check out we were looked after brilliantly. Free high speed wireless internet much appreciated!!! (take note Jury's!!) If we had to look really hard for a negative... the £3 charge for a cooked breakfast (which we did have and was fantastic) rather than continental seems a little un-necessary.. Overall we give it 5 out of 5 and will be back soon !!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Stourbridge
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I was looking for a city centre hotel this trip as I was travelling with a colleague & was meeting a client in the city - this normally presents problems for me as this generally means the hotels are "beige", boring, generic, insulting with awful staff & extremely overpriced (take note Premier Hotel, Travelodge, Durys Inn, Novahotel, Ibis etc etc). I took a chance on Cargo as the reviews did seem to be good - I'm so glad I did, it was brilliant! I think its only recently been converted into a hotel so they are just getting going. I managed to park outside which meant it was free between 6-8 so no probs there (there are lots of car parks nearby) I was shown upto my room & it was lovely - big room & bed, well appointed & a beautiful bathroom with a huge shower. Hotel is perfectly located too - especially if you were having a "girly" weekend away - Oxford St is fab for lovely restaurants & bars & all within a 2 min walk so very safe. I hear its the where all the footballers drink too (if you're into that sort of thing which I'm not) but dont let that put you off - the Grapes down the road is apparently where the Captain of the Titanic had his last drink before setting sail so there's all sorts of memorabilia in there & no loud music. Lovely breakfast in the hotel in the morning - I really cant fault Cargo - I really great hotel, good value for money, good breakfast & a perfect city centre location. Will definately be staying again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business