“very good value for money.”
Review of Cargo

Cargo
Ranked #14 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2011

stayed here for one night for business / pleasure, check in was quick and easy. room and bed very comfortable, nice flat screen tv. Stewart was a very good host. The location of this hotel is first class as it's right in the heart of all the clubs / bar area.
i would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Cargo is a stylish bar with rooms rather than a hotel. Unfortunately for us neither function worked well. Our Loft Room was comfortable but the shower wasn't working - once fixed we went down for a drink and dinner. The bar staff, despite advertising their cocktails, were unable to make a martini and furthr had no lemon twist or olives to hand. A noisy hen party, complete with bride to be dressed as a banana, persuaded us to eat elsewhere, tho' the menu looked enticing, for the eating area is firmly part of the bar.

Returning late after a good dinner at La Regata (Spanish tapas - recommended) the bar was heaving, noisy and not a spot for a quiet drink before bed. The noise disturbed our rest until nearly 2.00am.

Breakfast was well cooked but poorly served. No butter for toast (eventually someone went to the local shop to buy some), confused service, no bread for toast.

On a positive note all staff were very willing and polite - and Stuart, the owner, had happily re-booked us into the hotel when we had had to cancel our July booking at very short notice. However, overall this is a bar where linters can stay and not a quiet boutique hotel for a Southampton stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My third stay in the this trendy hotel confirmed to me that their personal and friendly customer focussed approach leaves there local competitors miles behind. The rooms are decorated to the high standard and are comfortable and unique with a wonderful Asian influence. The position of the accommodation couldn't be better with easy access to the shops or the docks or a stroll in the park just a minute away. Oxford street itself has a laid back feel with some great restaurants and bars right on your doorstep. The staff are all happy to help and often go out of their way to ensure you are looked after. Basically there is no-where else I would stay in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I stayed in the Loft Room. I have to say this is a fantastic place. I stayed with work, liked it that much I have been a few times. I think the breakfasts are great.
In summary it gets my vote.

Pomeroy

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This place is in a great location for eating out with lots of bars and eateries near by.
Our room was done out in a shaker style but also came with a superb bathroom , the staff were friendly and the optional cooked breakfast excellent. The continental breakfast was very basic with nasty orange juice bread 4 cereals jams and thats about it.

Our room No 7 up several flights of stairs had a rather dirty carpet but in every other way was great.

To sum up not a bad place let down by poor cleaning

Room Tip: Stairs are narrow and steep
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Stayed in this 'hotel' last week and, now having read the comments submitted by others, am totally confused. In spite of the seemingly unanimous chorus of approval, my experience was entirely different. Fawlty Towers had nothing on this place. Shower not fully working and constituted a health and safety hazard, no curtains and blinds which would not pull shut without assistance from the proprietor. Carpets of dubious provenance and which had hardly seen a vacuum for months. Broken toilet seat adding to the general picture of boutique delapidation. No TV remote in the room.

To be fair, complaints were made and the evening meal was offered gratis. However, this does NOT compensate for the tawdry experience. What foreign visitors must make of this makeshift establishment beats me. We had previously stayed at the White Star and it is far better than Cargo.

The food, described in the self publicity blurb as exceptional, certainly was not. I would neither recommend this hotel/guesthouse or whatever other description is offered to anyone, neither will I trouble its management with further enquiries as to availability.

I actually think that Southampton Trading Standards or similar body concerned with the hotel industry should thoroughly check out the experience of this hotel and compare that with the publicity blurb.

I can only imagine that some of the comments made in your website have come from people with little experience of clean, comfortable and affordable hotel rooms.

In the words of the late departed Noel Coward....'Magnificent isn't the word for it!'

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Douglas P
Reviewed 1 May 2011

After not being able to get into the White Star I decided to reserve a room at Cargo.

There are many parallels between Cargo and the White Star - similar concept and offering, similar layout and room sizes, plus both venues transition from being a restaurant into more of a drinking establishment as the night progresses.

I think that overall Cargo has the edge over the White Star. This is primarily down to the excellent customer service. My check-in was handled promptly and I was shown to my room and made to feel very welcome by a member of the bar staff. We ate in the bar and had several rounds of drinks - all excellent value and delivered by attentive staff.

Breakfast the following morning was a delight and good value compared to the White Star. Check-out was seamless and the staff seemed interested in whether we had enjoyed our time at Cargo.

So top marks to Cargo. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2011