“Another great stay...”
Review of Cargo

Cargo
Ranked #14 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I just had another great stay at Cargo. The room was great as always but I wanted to mention a much improved breakfast system. Before it was a free continental and there was a charge for a cooked breakfast but due to new management there was a free breakfast included of the room whether it was cooked or continental. I had Eggs Benedict and it was cooked to perfection! I was so impressed with the new system they had in place!

Cargo has always been a pleasent stay but the new management have made some tweeks here and there and it has improved on what was already a great service!

Thanks agaiin Cargo!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 910richardg910

Reviewed 31 January 2013

I have stayed here while doing some covering work in Southampton and i've found the staff to be friendly and welcoming. Really enjoyed my time at the hotel, the linen as said by another reviewer is great, fresh bedding always makes for a good nights sleep

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Stevefromthepub
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Stayed with my husband for one night. Unusual place, more of a bar with a few rooms above.
Bathroom was very nice, bedroom tired shabby chic. Couldn't get to sleep for dreadful noise from pub below which went on for hours.
Cooked breakfast was extra which on top of the £85 was expensive. There was no proper reception area and breakfast was rather disorganised, butter still in wrapper and one toaster for everyone.
Not my idea of a good break although it was near to Ocean Village and boat terminals.
Staff were very pleasant .

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Really classy place with a cool bar and restaurant. the sheets are the best i've slept in in a long time and I travel alot - great location too. Staff were really friendly too so will definitly use again next time i am in Southampton.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Great location, nice bed linens and quality towels, nice shower, so far so good !
However we won't book there again. The access to the rooms is awkward, the corridors and staircases very narrow, the furniture was covered with dust and the breakfast was a total joke.
One ordinary 2 slices toaster, be prepared to wait for your toasts, no butter available ( as it wasn't defrosted), yogurts, weetabix and bad quality fruits juices, that was it. The staff is friendly ( a bit too much), . Cargo is a nice place to have a drink, they should have stayed within their limits.
nice pub, very poor hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2012

As being 22 this is the first hotel i've ever stayed in. it was a surprise for my girlfriend as it was our 4 year anniversary, whilst booking on the phone i asked if i could get rose petals on the bed and champagne in the room. at a small extra cost the hotel went out of the way to try and get this done for us. on arrival we didnt know what to expect as we walked into the bar area but there was a little hotel desk tucked into the corner were the nice smiley postive bar member / reciptionist took us up to our room, we were in room six which was a nice airy big sized room and it looked lovely decorated with rose petals! my girlfriend was so chuffed.

the location was good the shopping center was 5 minutes away with loads of shops and the marina with a cinema was 4 minutes so we had a nice romantic stroll along the marina and went to see a film in the cinema. the hotel itself was not far from the train station niether with a good taxi link to the hotel.

when it come to breakfast time we didnt relise the conteinental breakfast was free and you can have breakfast up to 11am!!! result my girlfriend had some cereal and a custard pastry from the buffet and i went for the full english which was only a £4.50 upgrade.

again the waitress was helpful and lovely, and the breakfast superbly cooked, i really enjoyed my stay!!! will defenitley book next year!!

Room Tip: ask for room 6 i loved it!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I hate writing bad reviews, but some times you need to. I won't let anger come into it, just facts. Booked 4 deluxe rooms for myself and 3 clients from Finland. (We stayed two nights at a Devere in Manchester, who will get a great review from me for less per night than in this place.)

On arrival after a 5 hour drive from Cheshire, we were asked to pay upfront on arrival. I was told on booking the deluxe rooms are on the top floor. We were spread all over the place, which got me worried. I was last to be allocated a room, when we got there, there was someone in it, second try, was used for storage. Finally got a room under the roof with no key, only housekeeping key card, which meant I had access to every room in the hotel... Went to check on my guests and one's room was freezing. They could not fix the radiator, so eventually found him another box room. Next morning we go for breakfast, basically consisted of two loaves of toast bread in blue plastic bags and a few cereals and pastries. Not sure if they had anything hot but we were not offered it. Coffee was served in a cup each. We then all went to pack. I was down first and gave my key back. Girl asks me who is paying for the coffees? Turns out two of my guests had a second coffee each, so after us paying over £100 each, they wanted extra for the two coffees.

We needed three bills. They could only produce the same three times with all rooms on it, as I had secured all 4 on my credit card. So we have to cross the ones off we did not pay for.

I travel a lot and am not fussy, but this place is the worst disaster of a hotel I ever stayed in. As I left I noted the White Star Tavern next door where we had an excellent meal the night before also has rooms and was serving full English breakfasts. I know where I'll be staying next time!

Room Tip: Book a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business