“Lovely surprise and great location”
Review of Cargo

Cargo
Ranked #12 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Lovely surprise and great location”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at Cargo for the opening of the Southampton Boat Show. We were a little sceptical from the previous reviews, but we had a really nice stay. From arrival the staff were welcoming and friendly, the food was really tasty and fresh and the room had high quality finishes and an amazing shower! The only downside was the parking, but with the long stay car park around the corner it was fine.

We will defiantly be staying again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a long weekend in August in the loft room. The room was nice but a little tired in some areas. Breakfast was a big let down - I eat anything and am not at all fussy but on each of the 3 mornings the breakfast was terrible... Not even edible on the 1st day! The hotel is situated in an ideal location for bars and restaurants however I'd suggest you can get more for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed in a lovely Superior Double room at Cargo last night and it was a really lovely experience! We parked nearby in College Street Long Stay Car Park which was very well priced (£1 from 17:30 to 12:30 the next day, although it was a Saturday/Sunday) but there is also plenty of street parking right outside the restaurant.
Firstly, it was my birthday and they arranged to have flowers and champagne sent up to my room which was a nice surprise! The staff were incredibly friendly and we were met with a smile, shown to our room, had an explanation of the late entrance system (very secure) and were pointed to the fire exits.
The room was a comfortable size with a nice mix of modern and vintage, and had a lovely modern bathroom.
Getting back to the room at about half 10 we were a little surprised at the amount of noise from the bar but I have to say after getting to our room we barely even noticed the noise, even with the window open and being on the first floor of rooms.
Unfortunately at this point we were hoping to have a nice warm shower but the shower was not working properly! We rang downstairs to the front desk and someone came up straight away, despite the time and busy bar downstairs, to see to our problem and even though it was not fixable on the night (it was nearing midnight) we were given a discount the next morning for our next stay with them!
The next morning we went downstairs for our complimentary breakfast and were met with more smiles, very pleasant service and a really nice full english, a lovely latte and a pot of green tea.

We have already booked our next stay at Cargo and we can't wait to try out the Loft Room!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed at Cargo for one night, thankfully. Little did I know this was a hotel above a pub, and rooms are just that. No AC and room was stifling hot. Stayed in room 8 on the top floor thinking I wouldn't hear noise, how wrong could I be. Although I didn't hear noise from downstairs, opposite the hotel is something to do with Southampton University, which meant people outside smoking and chatting loudly upto around 4.30am, so a good nights sleep was out of the question.

However, if the noise wasn't there, the bed was like sleeping on hardboard, with no spring in mattress whatsoever.

In short, if you want a good nights sleep, avoid like the plague!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here, there aren't any!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
West Sussex, UK
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The cargo hotel is situated on Oxford street which is the best location for a meal or drink in Southampton. The hotel is basically some nice rooms above a very pleasant bar and restaurant. The rooms are quite small but perfectly adequate. The bathrooms are lovely and contemporary. The only issue I had was that in my room I could hear the people next door. The breakfast was very nice and it is served until 11!
When I return to Southampton I will return to the cargo hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ScottMcm100
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last sat for 1 night for my partners bday.
Was put in room 10 (top floor and I'm 6 months preg, no lift). Room poor....overlooking a car park and high rise flats (not very romantic) shower not at all powerful, tap broke, pubic hair around sink and room window seal!!! Ironing board but no iron, windows filthy and would not stay open and room was very hot, dimmer lights didn't work.
No parking.....was advised to park on road outside and bagged a parking ticket!!! Not impressed!
Terrible customer service......have complained to manager via 2 emails and have not had one responded to.
Total disappointment!
Paid £85 for this rubbish 'hotel'
Next time I'll pay a lot less and stay in a travel lodge!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kellys8332
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Where do I start !! One light not working in bedroom. One out of 2 not working in bathroom.Bedside table lights did not work. Bedside drawers FULL of wheels ? Bedside controls for lights did not work. Wardrobe door handle came off in my hands. Shower controls unworkable. Drinks and biscuits supplied but no spoons ? One of the towels stained. Then breakfast - 45 minute wait and then said sorry hadnt ordered them - "how would I like my eggs" !!!! No one else in restaurant ?
Complained on the day and with a follow up letter. Response was all complaints are fully addressed, things fixed Blah Blah and ended up with a £20 refund which I insisted upon after the breakfast debacle.Clearly the cost for this hotel is purely on its position which you cannot fault but service and training for staff clearly totally inadequate . Would we stay again I will let you guess ??

Room Tip: Avoid room 6 !!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family