US$84
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$128
Travelocity
US$99
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$88
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton City Centre Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
US$88
  • Restaurant
All reviewsloft roomoxford streetbars and restaurantslively bareggs florentineocean terminalthe room was nicesmall hotelshower headcomfy bedvery pleasant staymin walkshort stayfull englishcruise terminalbreakfast was excellentcar parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 August 2014

What a find !!!!!! Perfect location for the ocean terminal . Cargo is situated in an oasis of Southampton . We ate ,drank and slept at cargo and couldn't fault any of it. Can highly recommend the cocktails and pinot grigio !!! The staff were polite and attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The food was great both in the evening and for breakfast -in fact the breakfast menu was extensive for a 12 bedroom property !!! All was superb

Room Tip: We only saw room 9 which was great ! The seagulls were noisy but we slept with the window open !!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Faucet I, Guest Relations Manager at Cargo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Thorley66,

Thank you for your very kind review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you enjoyed your cruise on the QM2.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel is well situated, close many great dining venues and close to the waterfront. The staff was very competent, helpful and friendly. The rooms were a bit awkward to access by means of narrow stairwells. Rooms were very clean, a decent size with good quality linens. Breakfast was very good and included in the rate. On the downside, more care could be taken with some smaller issues. Furniture was chipped, the window would not stay up, and the room fan was near useless! I had booked a cruise just a few days before and had little choice in finding a hotel room on a busy weekend, but this hotel did have space. Not bad, but probably would not stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are much quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear yyjguy,

Thank you for your feedback. Rest assured we have taken on board your comments and we are currently dealing with the issue of chip furnishing and with the window. We are also looking into air con or making the rooms cooler for future guests.

We hope you enjoyed your cruise and we hope you do return in the future.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here with my Husband and our friends while spending a night in Brighton. The location of Cargo is spot on. A couple of minutes walk from the main shopping area and Oxford Street itself is a partly pedestrianised road with restaurants either side. It's obviously been updated recently and was quiet and pleasant.

The rooms are tired. I think the look of shbby chic is trying to be acheived but that doesn't mean chipped paint and scruffy walls! The bathroom however, was lovely. The shower was nice and big - unfortunately not overly powerful and the controls were hard to use. The toiletries were very nice though and it looked like it had recently been renovated. The bed was comfortable and there was enough storage for one night. It was hot when we stayed and only having a fan in the room meant we had to wedge open the window with a tissue box. Air con would have been nice.

We had breakfast the next morning which was included in our price. The food was good and the restaurant was lovely and cosy. Unfortunately there was only one person serving when we arrived so we had to wait a while for ours.

I think I would stay again if I visited Southampton in the future. I have stayed in the Star and this is like a 5* compared to that!!! It isn't anything fancy, but it is clean and comfortable. Just try and get a good deal when booking.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear kelembee,

Thank you for taking the time to review. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Southampton. In regards to the chipped paint and scruffy walls, it is something we have taken on board and we are currently sorting this issue out. We will also look into installing air con or making the rooms cooler and the same with the shower pressure and controls.

We hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

A group of us visited Cargo last Saturday the 9th of August for a meal to celebrate a friends birthday. I ordered a medium steak, but what arrived was cremated. I reported the fact to a one of the waiters (he had floppy hair and a goatee), he could hardly be bothered to listen to me as he continued to take plates off the table, I had to ask him to stop what he was doing and listen to my complaint, he was rude and very unprofessional not even offering to replace my meal. I told him i would be complaining about the service but he seemed not at all bothered. If I had employed him he would not be in my restaurant today

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 11 August 2014

OK this is no 5 star luxury hotel. That's the bad news out of the way for all the folk with unrealistic expectations. What this is, is a comfortable, clean and friendly place to stay,that is reasonably priced and ideally located for anyone joining a cruise at the Ocean terminal.

Cargo is unashamedly an Inn! i.e Primarily a pub or bar that just happens to have some bedrooms. So if you are expecting a 5 star hotel then this is definitely not the place for you. However if you are looking for a comfortable, friendly place to stay then it is great.

We had stayed there last year for the first time when they were in a transition and busy refurbing the place. So it was nice to come back and I must say the improvements are lovely. The room was clean and stylish. We had room 9 on this occasion and it was smashing. The room had a retro Scandinavian design that was minimalist but comfortable. Good size bathroom with a shower. The toiletries are really nice, not the usual cheapo harsh on the skin stuff. OK the rooms can get warm in the summer but not as bad as some are moaning about. I guess they are used to living in air conditioned environments.

The rooms are clean but they need to have a checklist for the housekeeping so some of the basics do not get missed. Guys it is no good folding towels nicely on the bed if you forget to wash the cups and replenish the coffee and milks. Its this sort of attention to detail that will help get you a good reputation. You have a nice place and it could be a great place with a little attention to detail. You will get there!

One of the nice things about staying at cargo is the food is excellent. I had the Salmon on the first night and it was delightful. Really tasty and nicely presented. My partner had the Hamburger which was looked homemade and was I am told very moreish. I have to say their cheeseboard is excellent value. The captains Breakfast is a hearty affair and will set you up for the day!

Their Bar is very popular and I can reccomend their craft beer selection. It has a great vibe and was fun..

The Staff here are young, they try hard and are dead friendly. Would I stay again. The answer is yes! Would I recommend it to my clients again the answer is yes!

Room Tip: Back rooms tend to be a bit quieter. But remember you are above a bar and in a very lively street. If you want a noiseless sleep then choose a country house hotel in the middle of nowhere. But you will not be as handy for the cruise terminals.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your very kind comments. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the pointers regarding the replenishment of cups and glasses has been taken on board and mentioned to the relevant departments.

We hope you enjoyed your cruise and we hope to see you again soon.